George Washington House

STP1972

If you are interested in US colonial history I highly recommend a visit to the recently restored George Washington House complex in Bridgetown. George came to Barbados in 1751 to assist his half-brother Lawrence, who was suffering from TB. This was George's only foreign trip, and while in Barbados he developed smallpox. His recovery gave him lifetime immunity to the dread disease that felled so many troops on both sides during the Revolutionary War.

The complex is beautiful and a short taxi ride from the cruise pier. Admission is $12.50 US per person and includes a 16-minute movie (filmed in Williamsburg, Chesapeake Bay, and Barbados), guided tour, and musuem. There is a snack bar on site. Allow approximately 60-90 minutes for a good stay. The cruise lines do offer an excursion to the site but few cruisers take it, according to the staff at the House. You can do just as well for less money on your own.

The George Washington House has a web presence:

http://www.georgewashingtonbarbados.org/

I have attached a pic of the house where George Washington slept. I took this on my visit from the Crown Princess on December 31.

cruise10.jpg.bbc90ccbecf5199267072fd2b8557abb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived