Instead of using my cell phone on board...

Can I buy some of those international phone cards and just use them at ports? Are there usually payphones at the ports? I think that would be a lot easier for me and I wouldn't have to worry about my cell cutting out. then if someone needs me, they could use the emergency number to contact the ship, but I could check on my puppy at each port. Do those cards usually work like that?

Don't bother buying international phone cards in the US. Most of those are only good for calling FROM the US.

Instead, ask your waiter where to buy cheap calling cards and make phone calls while in port. Since they are there every other week they tend to know these things.

Wow....glad you told me that!:) I will be sure to ask my server. I guess if thats the case I'll need to buy one in each port then, since it will probably only work in each port. Maybe I could give the card with the remaining minutes on it to my server or something when I'm done so they can use it..

This is usually what we do.

Just look at the cards, some are good for more than just that port. In the Caribbean for example, you can buy cards that work for all the Caribbean islands.

Also, if you're going into the port town, use the phones there as sometimes it's difficult to get one near the ship because they're tied up (cruise staff tend to use the ones by the pier) and the wait can be lengthy.

Can I buy some of those international phone cards and just use them at ports? Are there usually payphones at the ports? I think that would be a lot easier for me and I wouldn't have to worry about my cell cutting out. then if someone needs me, they could use the emergency number to contact the ship, but I could check on my puppy at each port. Do those cards usually work like that?

On one of our first cruises we used our cell phones when we landed at ports to call home. The bill would scare you. So now we buy a card at each stop (since not all phone systems work the same) and call home. Much much cheaper and lets face it, all those ship workers do exactly that so it MUST be the most economical way. Don't use your cell.

The ship's e-mail can be an economical way to touch base with home, too.

Can you tell me how they charge that? Do I just go to a computer and use the online and then they charge it to my seapass? How much would it be? Is it crazy to ask if they have free wifi if I bring a laptop or do they charge for that? Thanks! Good idea!

<P>50cents a minute and it's charged to your sea pass. You just swipe it at the computer station and go online just as you do at home.  The computers are extremely slow like using dial up at home.  One time when the connection was unusually slow we complained to guest relations and they credited our account.  </P>

verizon america's choice has roaming from mexico, USVI @$.69/minute, and regular price from Puerto Rico. Best bet is AOL IM at $.50/min.

Just set up times in advance. Cell onboard for Verizon may be about $2.00 minute. check with your carrier

Mel

I have Verizon and I used my cell all over the Southern Caribbean last year for voice and text...I did not have a scary bill afterwords.

I did take my laptop, but getting wifi was dicey, one time i ended up in a bar before I could get signal. I finally gave up and just used the PCs in the internet cafe.

One thing that did bother me with the cell was that in a couple of the Islands this incoming call from an 800 number happened. You could ignore it, but it would call back. All it was was an automated message that said something about welcome to the island...i don't remember exactly. The weird part was that my phone would ring and I would have to answer it ultimately or it would just keep ringing, but my companion's phone (also Verizon) did not. Go figure.

:)

Thanks Jimmers. Do you have any idea about bringing your own laptop and getting wifi? Or do they charge for that, too? Thanks for your info.

I've never taken my laptop so don't know much about that. Lot of others here should though. I've read that it's very slow also and someone can correct me but I think it runs about $100 a week.

About the international phone cards, you might want to check with your cell phone provider for their international roaming rates. You might find they're not as high as you think. In the past we've used email to keep in touch with the kids back home but on our TA in March we're going to look into the cell phone option. We won't be able to use them during the crossing but when we're near a port they should be fine.

Archived