Should I take a SIT and STAND stroller on cruise or is it really needed?

yesitsfree

I just found one VERY cheap at a yard sale. I will be traveling with my 4yr old and 22 month old. I thought this may be nice so I wouldn't have to take 2 strollers for them. It seems kind of big though so I am not sure if I should take it or not. If I don't take it should I go out and buy umbrella strollers that recline (I have ones that don't) I am guessing I should have some type of strollers for them both or we will be carrying them everywhere. My 4yr old usually walks well on his own but when tired is a whiner and will be asking to be carried.

Also I booked us an excursion to do horse riding with Randi. My DH thinks our 4yr old is not old enough to do this one on his own. Randi stated otherwise when I emailed her with his age. Has anyone here let their 4yr old ride alone or did you double up in the saddle with a 4yr old. I wanted to let you know also he is a little guy, only weighs 28 lbs.

Thanks for any help on these issues.

If you want the stroller bring it. Especially if you are walking around in towns. It is not needed on the ship a little bulky for the hallways - a tiny umbrella stroller would be better there.

Now about the horse back riding.... My child is an avid equestrian, She has been riding since she was 6 - she is now 10. IMO a four year old is not really safe on a horse unless they are very experienced or it is being walked for them -- what would your child do if the horse gets spooked? Has your child riden before? Will the saddle be a children saddle? Can the adjust the leg straps appropriately? Or you willing to take this risk with your child?

But more importantly is the helmet! Does the horseback riding place have helmets to fit a four year old? You wouldn't let your child ride a bike without a properly fit helmet so please do not let them on a horse without a properly fit helmet. My child has been thrown 3 times from horses (and yes she rides in shows and events), without a helmet she might have had serious head injuries. PLEASE whatever your decision is make sure he/she has a helmet AND it fits right (on the top of the head and over the front - not tilted off the back of the head). Because of developng bones on young children many riding places also make children wear chest protection.

Ps- the sadest injury I even saw on a young child was when a mother rode down a side behind her child and fell on her -- the kid ended up in a body cast and she was only two. Riding with your child on a horse could mean in a fall you would end up on-top of that child.

Sorry -- didn't mean to scare you -- just wanted to make you aware of the risks. We go horse back riding on vacations but I always pack her helmet so to insure proper fit.

suzanne

You need a stroller that's not wider than a Combi Convenience stroller to manuver down the narrow corridors on a ship. The thing is most corridors are wide enough for any kind of stroller, but during the day, when service carts are parked outside the doors of cabins being cleaned, it's hard to manuver down the hall if you have a wide stroller. My Combi Convenience stroller was able to pass a service cart that's parked outside the cabins without having to move the service cart. My sister's Graco Cirrus Literider had trouble passing these service carts

For our last Alaska cruise (2 weeks ago), we took a Combi stroller for my 2.5YO and an umbrella stroller for my almost 5YO. There is a lot of walking involved in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria, so strollers came in handy.

My 2.5YO slept in his stroller a lot. Sometimes he would fall asleep in his stroller and other times we brought him into the dining room in the stroller when he was still sleeping.

Depending on your ports of calls, your 4YO may want to sit down. Making him stand, he's going to get tired.

You may want to leave him in the kids' club when you go horseriding with Randi. I think Randi's riding trail is quite long. I don't know about your child, but if they are tired, wouldn't they get fussy? You can sign up the previous day of a port day if you plan to leave your child in the care of kids' club people. It's free of charge and having one less child to care for while you are in port is so much easier!

I think 4YO is still too young to ride a horse by himself. Has he ridden a horse before? If you decide to take him, it's better if he rides with another adult. My 5YO would be afraid to get on a horse, let alone riding one by herself.

You are going to enjoy your Mexican cruise. Remember to hang out at the Krystal Hotel in Puerto Vallarta. US$10/adult to hang out at the pool all day. You can spend the $10 on food and drinks by the pool. Kids are free. They have this wonderful pool that's only 1 foot deep. My kids 20M and 4YO then thoroughly enjoyed that hotel pool. The adult pools are just gorgeous. The water on the beach smells, so don't let your kids near the ocean. The hotel is 10-15 minute walk from the ship. When you get off the ship, walk past the entrance into the city, keep walking down that strip of road, then when you come upon a larger highway, turn right. Keep walking until you come upon the hotel. On your way back, walk out the hotel's side door and it'll save you at least 8 minutes of walking.

http://www.playgroundsoftheworld.com/mexico/nh_hotels/puerto/index.htm

It's strange that these Mexican ports do not look so great in person (the towns and their people are poor....the buildings are not awe inspiring nor quaint), but these Mexican ports in general look great in photos and videos.

Nevertheless we had tons of fun in Mexico.

make due with the smallest stroller possible. I saw a poor woman with a full size stroller getting so frustrated that she taking up the whole hallway, and running over all of the room service trays that were put out. From that point on I saw the child in a backpack. That stroller probably sat in that cabin the rest of the cruise, taking up room.

Randi at happy horses knows her stuff. I am sure if she thought that a 4 year old was too young she wouldnt let him/her ride one. Go with her instincts.

Vikki: A lot of first time cruisers do not realize how small and narrow those hallways are. sad too- coz I too seen a lady that was very frustrated to say the least with her stroller too.

• 2 months later...
Guest Time2gocruzn

Those sit and stands are pretty big and heavy. I would probably opt for 2 umbrella strollers. Here's what we do. Ya know those lawn chairs that fold up and go in a bag? We use the drawstring bag from one of those and put 1 umbrella stroller in it and bungee it to the side of our other stroller. (run it along the diagonal bar that turns into the curved umbrella handle) Be sure to put the wheels in the bag (not the handle) or the wheels catch on everything. I mean of course you wouldn't do this on the ship, but for excursions it would work great. You have it if you need it and if not, no one has to push it. (the bags for the double lawn chairs will fit 2 strollers. Nice if you are flying.)

Another option: our kids will be almost 2 and 4 when we cruise. I have a peg perego which is basically a lightweight glorified umbrella stroller. It has a place where my older one can stand behind it. BUT when the older ds gets tired, I recline the seat flat, have him sit clear back in the stroller (on the back rest) and put his brother between his legs, in front of him. Yeah I know not what the saftey directions say, but hey, it works, lol. The little one can still wear the seat belt when we do this and the older on can't get out without help.

As far as the horses, I used to show horses for years. I also have a 4 yo. I would NEVER put a 4 yo on a horse by himself. It can be the kindest gentlest horse, but sometimes horses spook at little things and it would send him right off. I might consider it if someone had the horse on a lead line (person walking leading his horse) but other than that, no way.

Ditto -- please take the smallest lightest stroller you can -- while the Sit and Stand is a great concept, it is not easy to manuver (especially one handed) and you will be dealing with gangplanks, stairs, security, trays and housekeeping carts in the hall, deck chairs everywhere, sharp narrow turns, steep curbs (ADA is not in effect in most ports :-) ) etc. etc. I'd vote for the two umbrella stroller plan.

Re: the horses -- please wait until your child is older. There is too much potential for a bad ending to your excursion.

Have a great trip!

Guest Time2gocruzn
Be sure to put the wheels in the bag (not the handle) or the wheels catch on everything.
Just to clarify...that should say put the wheels in FIRST. The whole stroller goes in the bag. When we do this the umbrella stroller is a little longer than the bag so the curved handle sticks out of the bag a bit. BUT it still works fine. If we put the stroller in the bag handle first (instead of wheels first) the wheels stick out more and catch on stuff. Hope you know what I mean. I think I may just be making it more confusing, lol.:D

Archived