Trying to plan a family reunion

Hi All,

I've already sent out the emails to my relatives. I'm trying to organize a big family reunion for Spring 2009 on the Navigator of the Seas on a Western Caribbean cruise. Any suggestions on how to convince my family members that they want to go? For many of them this will be their first cruise and I think they may be turned off a little on the cost, especially since we'll need to fly out to the port.

If this reunion is something that you really want to do, it might take a little effort on your part. You should come with a cost analysis so everyone knows ahead of time what to expect. I would figure what it will cost for the cruise per person. Figure three catagories, an inside, an oceanview and a balcony. Figure roughly what the airfare will be from whatever city(s) you will be flying from. Consider shore excursion prices. Then tell them all about the Navigator. List all the fun things they can do on the ship that are included in the cost. Then gather some info on the itinerary you are planning. Let them know the ports and list some of the activities that they can do while in each port. Maybe go so far as to put a little PowerPoint presentatio together that you can e-mail to everyone. I would try to convince them to book ASAP. The prices are only going to go up between now and then. Good Luck!

I too planned a family reunion with my family (23 in all) - which we successfully pulled off during Christmas of 2005. One key point to make during your sales pitch might be the fact that everyone can do as little or as much as they want. I made sure the cruise we choose stopped almost every day. We too had to fly - I wanted to be guaranteed good weather so we flew to Puerto Rico and did the southern carribbean on Grand Princess. Our ages ranged from 80 to 10!! We also had balcony cabins to suites to inside cabins depending on the finances of each family. Everyone was together this Christmas and all were still reminiscing about the trip. Regarding the cost - you might try comparing it to an all-inclusive resort or breaking down the cost of an island hotel - plus adding on all the meals etc. They may find it more cost effective in the long run. Good luck!

I think a big factor would be the $$$. We cannot get anyone to go with us, mainly because they don't want to spend the cash.

We have friends that make 6 figures salaries and their family vacation consists of 3 days at San Antonio(driving). I quit asking long ago.

I think a big factor would be the $$$. We cannot get anyone to go with us, mainly because they don't want to spend the cash.

We have friends that make 6 figures salaries and their family vacation consists of 3 days at San Antonio(driving). I quit asking long ago.

I organized a mini-reunion last summer with half of our relatives to the Mexican Riviera. Those who went had a wonderful time and couldn't stop talking about it after we got back. It was their first cruise for many of them. I understand money being a factor but I figured if we organized it now, they'd have a little over a year to pay off the balance. But then there are always people who don't want to spend a dime, no matter how much time they plan ahead.

If money is a real big issue, let them know that they can cancel any time before the final payment date and get a full refund. They will only have to pay the deposit up front and then have a year to save. If they see that they aren't going to be able to afford it, they'll get their deposit back.

If you want to stay on their good side be sure to fully disclose to them any "free" benefits or cabins you receive from this group booking. You may even split your free benefits amongst the group in effect reducing their costs.

Otherwise you will have some very mad campers when they find out you got some freebies and they did not.

If you want to stay on their good side be sure to fully disclose to them any "free" benefits or cabins you receive from this group booking. You may even split your free benefits amongst the group in effect reducing their costs.

Otherwise you will have some very mad campers when they find out you got some freebies and they did not.

I just got off the phone with RCI and was told they do not give any "freebies" or incentives for booking multiple cabins or large groups. Seemed kind of lame. I booked a family cruise through Carnival last year and they offered "freebies" if you booked 7 cabins or more. I'm kind of weary to use a travel agent because my parents had one for another group cruise they went on a few years ago and she didn't do anything that I couldn't do myself communicating directly with the cruiseline.

I just got off the phone with RCI and was told they do not give any "freebies" or incentives for booking multiple cabins or large groups. Seemed kind of lame. I booked a family cruise through Carnival last year and they offered "freebies" if you booked 7 cabins or more. I'm kind of weary to use a travel agent because my parents had one for another group cruise they went on a few years ago and she didn't do anything that I couldn't do myself communicating directly with the cruiseline.

You need to contact a good travel agent. Sometimes RCL does close bookings to groups if they too many . DId you speak to the group department when you called?

Go to RCl's website and do a search for travel agents in your area. Find a few in your area and call them and find one you are comfortable with and talk to them about forming a group.

Archived