Tours in Giza

HappyMe_

Hi we are contemplating spending 2 nights post holiday at the Mena House. I have seen many photos and read reports, so it looks like it would be a great place to decompress from long flights.

Merced Mike we saw your photos and have read many of your suggestions. Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday. Because we will later be joining our tour group at the Marriott in Cairo, we thought, as I think you said, you can't beat the view of this, the Mena House. And I am sure the pictures don't do it justice either. So 2 days here and then we have several days pre & post cruise in the hub of Cairo, best of both worlds.

So my question here is: Giza. We probably will not want a pyramid tour as this will be later touched on with our tour group. But is there something else that would be of interest, for say a half day tour in Giza area? Again, something fairly relaxing, as we want to use this time to rejuvenate for the larger part of our holiday.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Phyl

If you want calm in the storm just stay at the Mena house they have a wonderful pool. Its a lovely hotel. You are a good 40 minutes from downtown Cairo and the Egyptian Museum. If you want to do something for half a day arrange for a tour of Sequarra and Dashur and Memphis.

You're going to Cairo to relax????

You could get the hotel car to take you to the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities to see King Tut and his folks. Buckle up your seat belts!

Nooooo, I did make a slipup....it should have said when we first arrive in Egypt 'pre' tour we thought of staying at Mena House...yes to relax...decompress etc. We are staying at the Marriott in Cairo the two days following Mena .....and then again at the end of our Nile Cruise. The museum will be covered in our tour, once we are at the Marriott.

Thanks Smeyer, will look into your suggestions.

Phyl

Nooooo, I did make a slipup....it should have said when we first arrive in Egypt 'pre' tour we thought of staying at Mena House...yes to relax...decompress etc. We are staying at the Marriott in Cairo the two days following Mena .....and then again at the end of our Nile Cruise. The museum will be covered in our tour, once we are at the Marriott.

Thanks Smeyer, will look into your suggestions.

Phyl

my further suggestion is to do a private tour not through the hotel(as it will be less expensive), if you want the names of two companies you need to ask as we can't volunteer them, although they are in another thread on the Egypt.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=666676

Hi we are contemplating spending 2 nights post holiday at the Mena House. I have seen many photos and read reports, so it looks like it would be a great place to decompress from long flights.

Merced Mike we saw your photos and have read many of your suggestions. Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday. Because we will later be joining our tour group at the Marriott in Cairo, we thought, as I think you said, you can't beat the view of this, the Mena House. And I am sure the pictures don't do it justice either. So 2 days here and then we have several days pre & post cruise in the hub of Cairo, best of both worlds.

So my question here is: Giza. We probably will not want a pyramid tour as this will be later touched on with our tour group. But is there something else that would be of interest, for say a half day tour in Giza area? Again, something fairly relaxing, as we want to use this time to rejuvenate for the larger part of our holiday.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Phyl

I have 2 suggestions. You could contact one of the tour companies whose names are always referred to on these boards and ask for their suggestions for a half day tour that doesn't take you to any of the places you will be seeing later. They will be happy to custom make an itinerary for you.

Or, when you check in to your hotel visit the concierge desk and ask them. They will have good suggestions for you because they get asked this every day.

Stan

There really isn't much in Giza itself other than the pyramids. But seeing them twice wouldn't really be so bad......... and if your other tour doesn't take you inside the museum beside the pyramid to see the Solar Barque (boat) of the pharaoh, you really must see it.

Or you could arrange a camel ride that would allow you to go a little into the desert (more chance for a ride than you normally would get on a tour, where you just get on the camel and walk around for a few minutes...)

If it were me, I'd do the Egyptian museum -- once is definitely not enough, there is so much to see and you do get "museum fatigue" after a while.

However, if you want something more relaxing, what about a sunrise or sunset cruise on the Nile in a traditional felucca (sailboat)?

you can't beat the view of this, the Mena House. And I am sure the pictures don't do it justice either. So 2 days here and then we have several days pre & post cruise in the hub of Cairo, best of both worlds.

Be sure to ask for a pyramid view room. I think it is about $20 extra and well worth it. We could see the sound and light show from our room!

Have a GREAT trip!

CruiseMom...thank you for your suggestions. Making lots of notes here. You mentioned doing the Egyptian Museum once is not enough, so we have decided to add an extra day in Cairo. Not sure if felucca ride included in our tour is same day as the trip we booked for Abu Simbel, if it is...that might be a nice idea as well.

Mike...definitely going to ask for pyramid view...that's high on priority list.

This question is up for anyone who has bought any jewellery there. I see a lot of mention of cartouches (sp). Any recommended people for quality and reasonable price? And, anyone have good experience in buying other jewellery? i.e. gold chains.

Thanks again, everyone for taking time to post.

CruiseMom...thank you for your suggestions. Making lots of notes here. You mentioned doing the Egyptian Museum once is not enough, so we have decided to add an extra day in Cairo. Not sure if felucca ride included in our tour is same day as the trip we booked for Abu Simbel, if it is...that might be a nice idea as well.

Mike...definitely going to ask for pyramid view...that's high on priority list.

This question is up for anyone who has bought any jewellery there. I see a lot of mention of cartouches (sp). Any recommended people for quality and reasonable price? And, anyone have good experience in buying other jewellery? i.e. gold chains.

Thanks again, everyone for taking time to post.

You're welcome.

There was a very nice store in the Giza area where our tour stopped. It was recommended for the cartouches especially. I didn't get one but many on our tour did. They went in and ordered them (you could get gold, silver, or a combination of the two) and then the cartouches were delivered later in the day. The store also had papyrus, alabaster, Egyptian glass and of course some touristy items.

I did buy a gorgeous lapis and 22k gold ring there for myself!!

The name of the store is Karnak Bazaar Pyramids. Address: 16 Pyramids Street, Giza.

A cartouche is a great souvenir and distinctly Egyptian.

But I really would not suggest you buy any other jewelry in Egypt. First, it is probably 18K gold which is very soft and does not stand up to the hard wear that Americans give jewelry. Secondly, you are far better dealing with a reputable local jeweler in your home town who will be there when you need them.

Papyrus is another great souvenir. The Karnak Bazaar has some beautiful pieces.

Have a GREAT cruise!

There are fair trade stores in Cairo and Luxor. these stores are set up to give most of the money directly to the artisans who make the stuff. They tend to be much less expensive than any of the stores you will go to. Your tour guide will not take you there because they don't pay commission(the commission is about 30% of what you pay)...I have no problem with the commission as its part of the culture. Just understand that is how it is done. I have pictures of the factory where they make the cartouches in Luxor. Its at my you tube website.

http://www.youtube.com/smeyer418

The factory is in the building down the hallway to the immediate left of the fair trade store in Luxor (which is behind the Police Station)....

If you go there he has my picture--not the Santa one....

But I really would not suggest you buy any other jewelry in Egypt. First, it is probably 18K gold which is very soft and does not stand up to the hard wear that Americans give jewelry. Secondly, you are far better dealing with a reputable local jeweler in your home town who will be there when you need them.

Have a GREAT cruise!

18K gold is standard for most European jewelry. It is only slightly softer than 14K gold. My engagement ring was 18K gold and I wore it every day for 14 years with no appreciable "hard wear."

It's when you get into the softer gold (like the 22K lapis ring I purchased) that you have to be careful. However, the ring is gorgeous and I only wear it for special occasions -- such as dinner on a cruise!

18K gold is standard for most European jewelry. It is only slightly softer than 14K gold. My engagement ring was 18K gold and I wore it every day for 14 years with no appreciable "hard wear."

It's when you get into the softer gold (like the 22K lapis ring I purchased) that you have to be careful. However, the ring is gorgeous and I only wear it for special occasions -- such as dinner on a cruise!

LOL -- I was a retail jeweler in a California town for more than 20 years. We found again and again that people who purchased 18K jewelry in Europe, and then subjected it to the wear and tear that an American woman frequently does, wore down the prongs on rings and the catches on necklaces very rapidly.

Clearly it depends on how often the piece is worn and under what conditions. But in general I would recommend 18K jewelry only for "special occasion" wear, and that you have your jeweler inspect it frequently.

That is certainly not to say it is bad. It is beautiful and valuable jewelry. It just does not stand up the the American hard knocks!

Archived