Crazy to Book 2010 Already?

gargoyle999

I will turn the big 4...0...in Feb 2010 so I was looking at possible cruises I would like to take to celebrate and just get some ideas. The main Carnival page only lets you choose dates through May 2009. But I found by choosing specific ships some have booking available into 2010! Searching this site I see others have found that option as well.

I'd like to take the Conquest from Galvestion for a 7 day, then fly to Florida and take the Miracle for an 8 day. I think that would be an awesome way to celebrate turning 40! :) The days work out great too. Sunday to Sunday on the Conquest then Wednesday thru the following Thursday on Miracle. I wouldn't have to worry about air and hotels for awhile.

Is it nuts to book over 2 years out? There must be some demand if Carnival has already set it up. As far as I can tell I'd be able to get my deposit back up to 80 days before departure so plenty of time to cancel if things change.

So when will 2011 bookings go online? :D

I will turn the big 4...0...in Feb 2010 so I was looking at possible cruises I would like to take to celebrate and just get some ideas. The main Carnival page only lets you choose dates through May 2009. But I found by choosing specific ships some have booking available into 2010! Searching this site I see others have found that option as well.

I'd like to take the Conquest from Galvestion for a 7 day, then fly to Florida and take the Miracle for an 8 day. I think that would be an awesome way to celebrate turning 40! :) The days work out great too. Sunday to Sunday on the Conquest then Wednesday thru the following Thursday on Miracle. I wouldn't have to worry about air and hotels for awhile.

Is it nuts to book over 2 years out? There must be some demand if Carnival has already set it up. As far as I can tell I'd be able to get my deposit back up to 80 days before departure so plenty of time to cancel if things change.

CONGRATS on your upcoming 40th.... I past that year a while ago !!!

If you want a specific stateroom and location, it will pay to get that resrevation booked as soon as it becomes available. Not only will you have plenty of time to cancel w/out penalty, but if the rates are reduced, you can always request the new lower fare (if applicable to your sailings).

Get those dream staterooms booked to celebrate your 40th I say and invite family and friends to help celebrate with you !

I booked two years out for our upcoming cruise, and the prices have jumped quite a bit since. The Splendor cruise in November has doubled in price since booking, and that was about 18 months out! I think the sooner the better if you know when you want to go. I did change from the Glory to the Inspiration during the first year with no problems. I'm looking for 2009 myself and considering the Destiny when it comes to Florida.

Celebrate those milestones!

Go for it! I spent my 40th laid off. :eek: Cruising would have been a much better alternative.

That sounds like a great trip. You should do it. If not for yourself then for all of us who can't or couldn't do things like that on our 40th. Just promise to write reviews..

Well it's two years out and I work for a semiconductor company, so I could be laid off at 40 too! :( Business can go way up or way down fast. You all need to keep buying lots of electronic stuff! :D

I've only been on one cruise so far and didn't find this site until afterwards. But it has been so useful in reading reviews and opinions and seeing pictures I've told myself I'm going to write a daily log on board so I can come back and post a detailed review!

I booked labor day 2009 already. Was in a booking mood and lately the prices have only gone up for Galveston.

I booked Conquest on the new bookings released. You can pretty much pick whichever cabin you want, they are wide open.

The only downside I see is a better choice coming along. I picked Labor Day because after that prices usually are a tad cheaper so I can do a 2nd cruise if I see something else I want? But Im already worrying that it will be very hot still out of Texas Labor Day.

If you already know the exact dates (unlike me lol), I say go for it, especially out of Galveston. Seems like pricing out of Galveston has not been soft or many last minute bargains to be had with so few ships out of Texas now. Id do it now if I were you.

It's NEVER crazy to book a cruise....:D

hahahahahahaha, after I read this and stopped laughing I thought, well duuh, who is going to tell the OP NO DON'T book those cruises now. Wait. We are all addicted to cruises, of course we are going to say to the OP book NOW!!!

hahahahahahaha, after I read this and stopped laughing I thought, well duuh, who is going to tell the OP NO DON'T book those cruises now. Wait. We are all addicted to cruises, of course we are going to say to the OP book NOW!!!

I just needed some positive reinforcement! :) And I wanted to be able to tell my wife (who likes going on a cruise but doesn't love it like I do) that if I am crazy at least I'm not alone! :D

By that time, who KNOWS how high the rates will be. By booking now, your price is locked in. I'm a big fan of booking early. It makes the waiting a little more agonizing, but then again, it gives me something to look WAAAAAAAAAAY forward to. Especially for something like your 40th birthday (good idea, by the way, will have to keep that one in mind).

i'm doing the same thing for my 40th brithday this year. Doing a back to back on Miracle. I invited everyone, but ony one couple have gave me a yes, and three maybe's. yeah this is a good idea. I booked way back Sept 15 2007, so that i would have the same room for both trips.

Reasons to book way in advance:

1) Choice of room. ( even those groovy aft wrap baclonies ect)

or the limited amount of balconies on the Fantasy class.

2) locked in price ( except for possible fuel charge)

3) lots of time to make small payments vs. charging it

4) You can buy On Board Credits and shore excrusions once cruise is paid off.

5) Something to look forward to on rough days at work or home.

6) You can always cancel if needed up to penalty date.

7) You will never forget your special occasion if that is why you are booking.

8) It will cause you to save for the cruise vs. just spending on things you will forget.

9) lots of time to research ports and the ship.

10) It is always fun to book a cruise. Does not mean you can not take other cruises before then.

I personally would not book 2 years in advance. The reason being is airfare plays a major part for us planning a cruise. Since most of the cruises we choose are on the other side of the country for us lol! We will generally look for a date then price airfare first. If we can get a great price on airfare (generally 3 to 6 months out) then we book the cruise.

I would kick myself if I booked 2 years out and when it came down to sail the airfare was way overpriced. When I could have waited and found the best deal on airfare....

And unless you are booking one of those aft cabins you will not have a problem finding a great cabin 3 to 6 months out.

And unless you are booking one of those aft cabins you will not have a problem finding a great cabin 3 to 6 months out.

I am wanting to book an aft wrap! I have only been on one cruise and that was a standard Cat 11 on the Triumph. But I loved the balcony and being out there was my favorite part of the trip (other than the 8A to 11 upgrade!).

Since I love the balcony and have read about the wraps here from others who love balconies I booked one for next Feb. But for my Feb 2009 cruise on the Miracle the aft wraps are all still available except the one I've booked (nice since I've changed it a few times). That is sort of why I was questioning it. Since the aft wraps are still available one year out, booking two years out seems a bit extreme.

So it's nice to get the exact cabin I want (still debating deck 6,7 or 8 wrap on the Conquest) but it does tie up the $1100 deposit for two years. Which for me is unfortunately not pocket change!

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it, since I could always cancel. I didn't think turning 30 was too big of a deal at the time, but 40 seems more significant to me. Since I want to be on the ship on my actual BD and get a specific cabin I'd better just pull the trigger.

I'm sure my wife won't let me do any B2B different port trips until I hit 50 (if ever)! :)

I am wanting to book an aft wrap! I have only been on one cruise and that was a standard Cat 11 on the Triumph. But I loved the balcony and being out there was my favorite part of the trip (other than the 8A to 11 upgrade!).

Since I love the balcony and have read about the wraps here from others who love balconies I booked one for next Feb. But for my Feb 2009 cruise on the Miracle the aft wraps are all still available except the one I've booked (nice since I've changed it a few times). That is sort of why I was questioning it. Since the aft wraps are still available one year out, booking two years out seems a bit extreme.

So it's nice to get the exact cabin I want (still debating deck 6,7 or 8 wrap on the Conquest) but it does tie up the $1100 deposit for two years. Which for me is unfortunately not pocket change!

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it, since I could always cancel. I didn't think turning 30 was too big of a deal at the time, but 40 seems more significant to me. Since I want to be on the ship on my actual BD and get a specific cabin I'd better just pull the trigger.

I'm sure my wife won't let me do any B2B different port trips until I hit 50 (if ever)! :)

Gool luck! I'm sure it will all work out and you will have a wonderful time!

Hmmm.. booking lets say 18 - 24 -36 months or more out... yeah, we have been known to do it!

We have learned the hard way, the great cruises, cabins, at great prices, book fast and early. Because of that, are already starting to work the assorted search engines looking for 2010 cruises. We book out big cruises as far out as possible and then infill with smaller ones. Yes, we both still work, 44/51 and use our free time and money to cruise.

I am curious as to how you book that far in advance? Do you have to call a PVP? I checked carnival.com and it only shows through June of 2009.

I've only been able to do it by first choosing a Fun Ship from the Carnival home page. Then choose an itinerary. If dates are available into the end of 2009 or 2010 under the Sail Dates & Pricing you will be able to click on "next" under the first 10 dates listed and go onto the next 10, then the next 10, etc.

Not all ships are that far out yet and even those that are do not have an "easy" way to jump that far in advance as far as I can see. I just happened to stumble on it was I was looking at Feb 2009 to get ideas for Feb 2010 and noticed I could actually get dates that far out on some ships!

I am curious as to how you book that far in advance? Do you have to call a PVP? I checked carnival.com and it only shows through June of 2009.

I was thinking it was the larger ships are able to be booked but not the smaller ships with shorter cruises. For instance I could book Conquest thru early 2010 but not Ecstasy.

Sorry, I can't tell you, CC rules forbid such. However, there are many different search engines out there. We rarely book with a PVP and so far, everything in 08 and 09 was booked via the internet with different internet agencies. In addition, for some odd reason, some search engines seem to get the listings for the bookings before the search feature on the Cruise Lines web site does, strange but true. We spend a good amount of time trolling assorted search engines looking for bookings. For us such trolling the search engines is fun. We play “pretend booking a cruise” as a form of entertainment. When it all clicks and the pretend cruise booking meets all of our requirements we book it for real. By doing such, we really stay on top of what is going on, prices and itineraries. Just an FYI, any cruise we take over 14 days we book at a minimum of 18 months out. We do this for assorted reasons.

Do keep in mind; the different cruise lines release their itineraries at different times even for different ships at different times. For instance, Princess was very very late in releasing their Alaska itineraries for most of their ships in Alaska in 08 so much so that Celebrity got our business. Considering the price, cabin and class we booked, it worked out exceptionally well for us. If you book our 9/22 cruise today for the same cabin type and class, you would pay $1000 more pp (yes, a thousand per person) then what we did by booking almost two years out. Also, we are not hung up of a certain cruise line. We do have preferred cruise line, Princess, but Itinerary comes first, then ship/cabin and then price. As you can see by our signature we have found what we seek of late on Carnival in particular on shorter cruises. However we are not stuck on any one cruise line. In that way, we are fickle.

Archived