1st Alaska trip

irishcropper

We are doing an Alaska cruise tour with HA in June 2008. We chose a cruise tour because husband likes to be able to relax (not drive or bus) and enjoys organized trips (doesn't like waiting on others however). We will book excursions through HA - do you recommend doing helicopter glacier tour in Denali or Misty Fords (I think) it is the land on glacier and ride a dogsled or should we really do both? Have been on whalewatch tours before so not interested in that. The excursions are pricey but we think this will be our only trip to Alaska so we want to do as much as we can. TIA

I have not done McKinley helicopter glacier tours, but helicopter glacier landings out of Juneau and Skagway are excellent. Misty Fjords is via floatplane and is all green. Longer trips can take you for glacier viewing.

Glacier dog sledding is another tour.

Only you can decide what your priority and interest is. But both a helicopter and floatplane are excellent ways to experience the beauty and vastness of Alaska. So, if you can do both, consider it.

I have not done McKinley helicopter glacier tours, but helicopter glacier landings out of Juneau and Skagway are excellent. Misty Fjords is via floatplane and is all green. Longer trips can take you for glacier viewing.

Glacier dog sledding is another tour.

Only you can decide what your priority and interest is. But both a helicopter and floatplane are excellent ways to experience the beauty and vastness of Alaska. So, if you can do both, consider it.

Budget Queen: I am impressed with your knowledge of Alaska. I traveled all of Alaska, by all means of transportation as an Alaska state trooper.

I have "seen the sights under the Northern Lights." Quite often I have another point of view on some of your recommendations. Example: I still cannot understand why someone would pay huge dollars (IMHO) to take a helicopter ride up on a glacier to ride in a dog sled. Float plane trips are big budget items also. I personally cannot recommend that expenditure. Someone will probably respond, "If you cannot afford a cruise, don't take one." O.K. - if you want to spend your life savings on one cruise. I always read everything you write. I am certain your contributions are highly appreciated.

Budget Queen: I am impressed with your knowledge of Alaska. I traveled all of Alaska, by all means of transportation as an Alaska state trooper.

I have "seen the sights under the Northern Lights." Quite often I have another point of view on some of your recommendations. Example: I still cannot understand why someone would pay huge dollars (IMHO) to take a helicopter ride up on a glacier to ride in a dog sled. Float plane trips are big budget items also. I personally cannot recommend that expenditure. Someone will probably respond, "If you cannot afford a cruise, don't take one." O.K. - if you want to spend your life savings on one cruise. I always read everything you write. I am certain your contributions are highly appreciated.

These are my opinions only. Flightseeing in Alaska is excellent and nothing shows the vastness or beauty better. I do NOT pay the money for the dog sledding helicopter trips- I have done the real thing on my winter trips 3 times, and still a lot of money.

I go cheaply, stay in B&B's, eat out of grocery stores- sail in the cheapest cabins etc. But I do like my flights and always go on at least one. My husband is a private pilot, so it's not like I don't have plenty of opportunities to fly, he is in a partnership with 2 others.

Also since you are talking about money- I'm only stating a fact, nothing more, in no way am I spending "my life savings". I am fortunate to have a very well paying job living in a low cost area. I have NO loans, no mortgage, traveled on 6 cruises for 7 weeks and another 4 weeks land touring in 2007 and no problem paying in full for it all. :)

So, I am just stating an opinion, that will hopefully be helpful to others looking for the information. I depend on other's first hand information when I go to new places and it's always appreciated.

I am fortunate to have a very well paying job living in a low cost area. I have NO loans, no mortgage, traveled on 6 cruises for 7 weeks and another 4 weeks land touring in 2007 and no problem paying in full for it all. :)

A high percentage of cruisers cannot travel that much. I assume you mentioned it to lend weight and credibility to your statements. If so, that is not necssary. Your posts are great. But, I am not certain your situation describes hundreds (thousands?) of cruisers who have to save for several years to take the one "cruise of a lifetime." Nevertheless, your information is always appreciated, and I read everything you write.

trooper 1, I can totally see your point. However, I think many people choose more expensive tour, like glacier landing, or trekking, for the experience once in a lifetime. The definition of once-in-a-lifetime could mean different things for different people. I have a coworker, who spent pretty much all her childhood in Tahiti. She said she could not understand why people spent so much money to travel there, where she thinks is the land of boredom. She was so excited when she first landed in US many years ago. Since you may have seen many glaciers, it becomes a norm for you. For many of us who have never seen snow or Glaciers, that might be worthy the trip. BTW, I won't spend $500 for a helicopter tour personally, for the reason of saving money, as well as fear of flying. However, I do appreciate the excitement of stepping onto the glacier field (which I did in Glacier National park several years back , cost almost nothing :)).

In any case, I don't think BQ is trying to convince everyone to do flightseeing. Well, I was convinced that experience is excellent. But I am not going to step in that small plane no matter what. :) Also I noticed the majority of the cruisers rarely participate any excursion, other than walking about the shops at the ports. Otherwise, operators like Marv and Harv or CancanCase in Juneau will have a fleet of whalewatching boats to cater 10000 people unloaded in Juneau everyday.

"...So, I am just stating an opinion, that will hopefully be helpful to others looking for the information. I depend on other's first hand information when I go to new places and it's always appreciated....)

Did I write you a ticket one time? That is what I meant to say - your information is always appreciated. This has been fun but I will drop it now.

Oosiks at dawn? Go in peace. :)

To the OP, Juneau is a fantastic place for whale watching. Just because I had done it before, I wouldn't miss it here. That's just my opinion and whale watching is one of my favorite things to do. If it's not very important to you, then you are making a good choice. I just wanted to point out that IMO, it's really spectacular here. Enjoy!

To Trooper, I'm not sure I get the point to address BQ in the manner you have in this thread. Was your point that different people have different priorities and that a reader should take them all in before adopting one person's? If so, point taken. Unfortunately, it reads a little confrontational to BQ who is just sharing her opinions and she clearly has experience to back up her opinions. That doesn't however mean that what she enjoys most is the same as everyone else. I thank her and everyone else for sharing their knowledge and opinions, in the end I need to see if they would be similar to my priorities, because they may or may not be.

Also I noticed the majority of the cruisers rarely participate any excursion, other than walking about the shops at the ports. Otherwise, operators like Marv and Harv or CancanCase in Juneau will have a fleet of whalewatching boats to cater 10000 people unloaded in Juneau everyday.

Is that true that a "majority of cruisers rarely participate in any excursions"? I find that surprising. I know this is just my opinion and my priority, but I can't imagine not making all these great excursions (at any price level, not just expensive ones) part of an Alaska vacation. Well, I suppose it leaves more room for us :) .

A high percentage of cruisers cannot travel that much. I assume you mentioned it to lend weight and credibility to your statements. If so, that is not necssary. Your posts are great. But, I am not certain your situation describes hundreds (thousands?) of cruisers who have to save for several years to take the one "cruise of a lifetime." Nevertheless, your information is always appreciated, and I read everything you write.

Budget Queen is not the typical traveler. I am thankful that she is able to travel as much as she does, because I do appreciate the information she shares on Cruise Crtic. However, it's my opinion that paying more for excursions does not necessarily equal greater enjoyment. I booked two flights in 2007: Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan, and roundtrip air from Chitina to McCarthy. The latter was our mode of transportation to Kennicott, and worth every penny. The Misty Fjords flight was a big disappointment due to poor weather. I'm willing to try a Mt. McKinley flight with glacier landing this summer, because I'm reasonably sure it will be cancelled if the weather is uncooperative. Other than that, I"m sticking with the not-so-pricey excursions in ports this time around.

But, I am not certain your situation describes hundreds (thousands?) of cruisers who have to save for several years to take the one "cruise of a lifetime."

Please share your ideas for poor cruisers??? :) Perhaps in another thread as we seem to have hijacked this one...

Also since you are talking about money- I'm only stating a fact, nothing more, in no way am I spending "my life savings". I am fortunate to have a very well paying job living in a low cost area. I have NO loans, no mortgage, traveled on 6 cruises for 7 weeks and another 4 weeks land touring in 2007 and no problem paying in full for it all. :)

I LOVE your posts. You've already helped me so much in planning for our August cruisetour to Alaska, thank you! I have to admit, I wondered (but never would have asked...) about how you could travel so much. I had you pegged for the stay at home wife of a NYC stock broker. :D

I have the well paying job, no loans and no mortgage. What I DON'T have is the 11 weeks of vacation! I'm jealous. Honest to God jealous! I just got 5 weeks of vacation instead of 4 for the first time in 2008 and that's the only reason we can use 2 weeks for Alaska. I will have to retire before I can spend 11+ weeks traveling each year. :(

Is that true that a "majority of cruisers rarely participate in any excursions"? I find that surprising. I know this is just my opinion and my priority, but I can't imagine not making all these great excursions (at any price level, not just expensive ones) part of an Alaska vacation. Well, I suppose it leaves more room for us :) .

I just saw in a Juneau Empire article that Mendenhall Glacier had 400,000 visitors last year. It's believed that around a million cruisers* come to Juneau. So that's not even half making the effort to go to one of the simplest, cheapest sights in Juneau. And it also makes me think of the many visitors I see at Mendenhall, who wander down to the photo outlook, snap a picture, then sit for 1/2 hour under the bus shelter waiting to go back downtown. I just shake my head in amazement that they can't even be bothered to walk around the many short trails or go inside the Visitors Center for that 1/2 hour.

*The roughly million visitors is an extrapolation from ship capacities, since the cruise ship companies will not supply our local newspaper with actual visitor numbers.

Please share your ideas for poor cruisers??? :) Perhaps in another thread as we seem to have hijacked this one...

I have posted those too. :)

I am a big advocate of walking tours, each port has so many hidden gems to find and explore. Each port has walking tour maps, you can also get this information by heading to your library and taking out Alaska travel books. I do suggest you go over the routing and attractions in advance.

In Skagway, the Park Service is fantastic- get there early and sign up for the free walking tours. Nice museum, ranger talks, movie. take a nice walk out to the cemetery, walk back down Alaska, you parallel the airport and go by the school.

Juneau has the Alaska State Museum and the Juneau Douglas City Museum, the capital and governor's house, cemetery etc are all worth a look.

Ketchikan- I noted a walking tour in a post today- somewhere. Another great walking city. :)

Sitka- the Sitka Heritage Park is excellent, I do advocate in getting the guide book- may be available online?? that gives a description of the totems, the Raptor Center is worthy of your admission, several museums, can tour St. Michael's church- small admission.

Hiking is excellent in each port as well.

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. From what I have seen, many cruise ship passengers want to shop or stay on the ship. To each his own. From what teeharbor posted, I can certainly believe it.

Generally I have been off the ship much of the time it is in port, even if that means until 8pm or later. Most everyone else is back on way earlier (and gets off quite a bit later too).

BQ does give info on the free/inexpensive things to do in ports, as she even posted above. But it is a well-known fact that she highly recommends to "budget for costly excursions" and to save elsewhere before the cruise to afford such excursions.

I often take relatively expensive excursions in port towns but my last Alaska cruise was very much "on the cheap" - NPS stuff and hiking in Skagway, hiking in Juneau, Totem Bight in Ketchikan for example. My one big splurge was going to be whale watching in ISP but that got canceled. Money saved for next time :) .

I am a firm believer in the fact that an Alaskan cruise (or an Alaska land tour) does not necessarily need to be expensive to be great. Certainly you might get more out of it if you take some of these excursions, and if you are planning on this being your only Alaska vacation, I would encourage you to try and do some of those, but if you don't or can't afford it, you can still see a lot and get a tremendous bang for your buck.

John

Here is my copied post about Ketchikan

I have posted several times a walking tour- pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center, also maps in Alaska travel books. As a suggestion take the Fox funicular up, out the back is a beautiful set of totems. Walk back down the historic "Married Man's Trail" to Park, turn right- if salmon are running, stop and see the ladder. Turn right and visit the Totem Heritage Museum and/or Hatchery, if of interest. Continue through the city park, to Deermont, turn right- you walk through a residential area, gives a nice look. at the end turn right. Walk back to town, detour to Creek St. and tour Dolly's house- interesting and fun- keep an eye out in the bathroom.

The Alaska Discovery Public Lands, has some very interesting exhibits and only a few dollar's admission.

Take the city bus to Totem Bight, or Walmart.

So plenty to see and do with just "walking" around- IF you know about it.

I have posted those too. :)

Yes, you have, and I thank you!:) Despite the cost of excursions, it's always nice to have a variety of options discussed... and you are fabulous for sharing all spectrums.

I'm sorry you took my question to be directed at you rather than trooper 1???

The OP was pointedly requesting information on helicopter touring and dogsledding. That question was pointedly answered. I do not understand why the answering of this question was debated in the first place.:confused: He needs to start his own thread for less expensive options if it is of concern... or search... there are many alternatives to high dollar excursions mentioned almost daily.

OP, enjoy your tour!!! If I wasn't easily deterred by motionsickness, I'd love a flight over glaciers!

Sorry, I did get a little defensive. :)

I do like my flights in Alaska, and feel, having taken so many, I can give useful information about them.

I answer questions direct as they come up- many times, the costly tours get more questions here, due to them being more money and people wanting to be sure to spend wisely. Stands to reason- if you aren't out much cash, maybe you can be wandering and flexable with port times. But, I will still say, it is best to have plans and reservations in place before you go, no matter what the plans are. Definately to each his own.

But I also have done ALL the cheap stuff I post about, so there is a wide range of choices. We all go for our own enjoyment and try to make the best choices. That is where this board is just excellent with all the accurate information available.

I've lived in Alaska going on 7 years now, and BQ I learn stuff about Alaska all the time from you, you are a valuable wealth of information. I understand what you mean about the vastness of Alaska, until I flew to Fairbanks I had NO idea. I would also recommend to anyone that is just making a visit (possibly their only visit) to do a flight tour of some sort, it is a totally different perspective of this huge and beautiful state. I am amazed again and again every time that I even fly from Juneau to Hoonah! I don't think I could ever get bored with all the wonders around me. We still take our camera with us everywhere we go :)

Unfortunately, it reads a little confrontational to BQ

UMMMM -- yup, I've been in the same position. Suggesting something different than BQ's opinion seems to read confrontational to her.

Now, Trooper, not to be CONFRONTATIONAL, but I would suggest that you are in a completely different position from us Californians who usually have to travel four or five hours even to see snow! My DW gets a great kick out of flying in a helicopter, and a big kick out of walking on the glacier.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Sadly she has twice had dog sledding cancelled from under her. We will definitely be going back so she can try that again, regardless of cost.;)

OTOH, when I was on a mountain in Alaska courtesy of the USAF I got all the helicopter rides, and all the snow and ice, that I need for a lifetime! I am perfectly happy to stay behind while she copters!

Clearly it is a matter of diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. The big bucks for a helicopter will be worth it if you think it will be ... but if you are questionable, there are LOTS of other fun things to do on solid ground!:D

Archived