I just put on my purple bows!

Anni_M

(And other interesting tips)

I noticed lately there are lots of first timer cruisers around here, so in my "infinite wisdom" thought it might be a good time for one of those cool (and very helpful!) threads on:

"handy items to bring along, that we never would have thought of, had we not seen it on the Cruise Critic message boards".

We sail next weekend - and I just got done attaching big purple bows to the handles of our bags. This helps spot them on the carousel at the airport, and at the cruise terminal.

Also packing collapsable hampers (very inexpensive at Wal-mart) because I hate pulling the suitcase out from under the bed to stuff in dirty clothes every day, and single serving Crystal Lite lemonade packets to dump into water bottles(that we purchase once, and then refill with ship water). We're always drinking in the warm weather, and even tho we enjoy the lemonade on the ship - it's full of sugar.

So to remind me of something I may have forgotten, and for all the first time cruisers out there - what'cha packing thats helpful, unique, and you should absolutely NOT cruise without?

:) Anni

I forgot my hair dryer on our first cruise, but luckily I'd just gotten a pretty short cut that I could "gel & go". YMMV! ;)

Post-it's for notes to your stateroom steward?

Lots of $1's and $5's for tipping (or bigger, I'm still trying to figure out the tipping deal myself!)

As someone who had cruised 12 times told us as we waited for the shuttle bus for our first cruise - "All you really need is a bathing suit, pair of shorts, couple of shirts, flip-flops, and sunscreen!" LOL It's funny how close he was to being right! (of course, if you eat in the dining room, take something for those nights)

PACK LIGHT! Then go back and pack even LIGHTER! ;)

Great Tips -- Thank you

I have cruised many times, but I never thought about the Crystal Lite packets. I usually just delute the lemonade that is on ship and add real lemons that are on the bar.

I use the idea of the bows on the luggage. Here is a funny story about our luggage - once my parents were sitting on there balcony waiting for the ship to depart when they saw a luggage carrier entering the ship from the side. When all of a sudden, a piece of their luggage fell off the top rack. They knew it was theirs from the big GOLD ribbon that they had attached to their bag. Everything was fine - but a great story to tell.

We are incredibly glad we brought the over the door shoe holder to store our odds and ends. It was a life saver.

We brought a surge protector for extra outlets- but with the phones turned off we never ended up using it. We brought clothes pins that we did use, but could have done without.

We are incredibly glad we brought the over the door shoe holder to store our odds and ends. It was a life saver.

We brought a surge protector for extra outlets- but with the phones turned off we never ended up using it. We brought clothes pins that we did use, but could have done without.

Over the Door: We use the top right pocket for our S&S cards when we retire for the night.

Clothes Pins: I have some hook type clips that I can clip anything to and hang anywhere - including the handle of the balcony. Swimsuits dry quicker out there.

Geez... I feel like such a schlub...

You guys are SO ORGANIZED!!!! I look around... see what I think I might need... discard half the stuff... zip it all up and jet to the pier!!!

Ya' know what? I've never had to buy anything! If I was missing something I made do! (by 'missing something' I mean like duct tape or a laser guided missile...) The idea is to have fun! The more you cruise the less you pack! I think on this next sailing I'll just bring a loin cloth and sunscreen!!!

;)

No offense or anything - but host Mach, you are SUCH a man!! Of COURSE we're organized! We are the "Mominators"! The "Packer Uppers", able to leap small buildings in a single bound!:D Us women folk have a tendancy to "nip in the bud"(as Barney Fife would say) any situation before it even happens. What would you do without us?:)

Anni

No offense or anything - but host Mach, you are SUCH a man!! Of COURSE we're organized! We are the "Mominators"! The "Packer Uppers", able to leap small buildings in a single bound!:D Us women folk have a tendancy to "nip in the bud"(as Barney Fife would say) any situation before it even happens. What would you do without us? :)

Anni

Be me??? I normally cruise solo. Things work out.

I have to admit that it was easier when there was someone to orchestrate all this but, all things considered, it's better this way!

;)

PS... I even manage to bring a blazer, suit or sport jacket for the dressier evenings!! ;)

Our fifth cruise is in 2 weeks:eek: I have it down to a science by now. Most important thing is to leave room in the suitcase for the stuff you want to bring home. That gets easier every year, as I take less stuff with me.:)

...Most important thing is to leave room in the suitcase for the stuff you want to bring home.

We ususually throw a case of water in one of our suitcases. That leaves room for our purchases, and saves lots. Oh, and the individual servings of coolaid, crystal lite, etc. helps us save the sugar and calories. (and $'s)

Only once did we not use all the water, and the room stewart was extremely excited we were leaving it.

(And other interesting tips)

We sail next weekend - and I just got done attaching big purple bows to the handles of our bags. This helps spot them on the carousel at the airport, and at the cruise terminal.

and single serving Crystal Lite lemonade packets to dump into water bottles(that we purchase once, and then refill with ship water). We're always drinking in the warm weather, and even tho we enjoy the lemonade on the ship - it's full of sugar.

So to remind me of something I may have forgotten, and for all the first time cruisers out there - what'cha packing thats helpful, unique, and you should absolutely NOT cruise without?

:) Anni

Crystal Lite packets great idea!! Instead of bows we use the mesh shower/bath puffs. You can usually get smaller ones 3 for a $1 at the dollar stores.

Anni --

Your thread title PURPLE BOWS, was very good and catchy!!

I like the idea of crystal light, we have them in the pantry, and soon in my suitcase for our Feb 4 sailing out of Galveston. We use blue "Suitcase Snakes" on the handles. Foam padded wires that can be wrapped around and twisted. I got them as freebies at a trade show. Work great to se across the room! That and Day-glo orange pompoms -- but like the bath puffs!

Have a wonderful trip and let us know all the details when you return!!!

Here, my website has tips & hints and lists broken into cateories for everthing.

http://www.prucha.com/modules.php?name=Cruise_Mania

Great site, I forwarded it onto my sister who is cruising for thefirst time with us in a few weeks.

I bring the Crystal light packs as well. I also pack the single kool-aid for the kids when we are in port.

We usually bring a bottle of wine but this year we are trying a boxed wine, less chance of it leaking and some of the box wines are very good.

I spend weeks and months even planning what I'm taking to wear and my DH gets up the morning of the cruise and throws stuff in a back pack and announces he's ready. Don't know how I've put up with him for 40 years.

We use colorful electrical tape to put our inital on the outside of the luggage, it's stayed there for years.

I spend weeks and months even planning what I'm taking to wear and my DH gets up the morning of the cruise and throws stuff in a back pack and announces he's ready. Don't know how I've put up with him for 40 years.

We use colorful electrical tape to put our inital on the outside of the luggage, it's stayed there for years.

My kinda man... should we ever cruise together remind me to buy him a couple drinks!!... oh... and you too!!

;)

Archived