Help, I'm new to RCCL

Well I was up till 5am searching ships/rooms and such. I do have to say that within that 5 hours of searching prices and availability, they were changing before my very eyes. It was very annoying as I went back to hold a specific stateroom, it was either gone or priced higher. At times I'd make my way back to that particular ship/stateroom and it was there again. Anyway, since I've not ever sailed with RCCL and actually have not sailed since 1988, I'm not so sure what a good deal really is. Here's what I think I have it narrowed down to. Can anyone give me advice as to the better deal, better ship, better room out of the ones listed here. We are a family of four which includes two son's ages 9 & 13. We're flexible with time but are looking more towards Oct or Nov.

24 hour hold - 10/11/08, Liberty, 7 night eastern, Deck 7, promenade family stateroom (inside, 300 sq. ft) $3065.48. Are these hard to come by and do they overlook the promenade?

24 hour hold - 11/08/08, Liberty, 7 night eastern, Deck 8, promenade family stateroom, $3265.48

11/29/08, Independence, 8 night, Deck 3, Cat I, ocean view stateroom (183 sq. ft) $3284.12

11/29/08, Independence, 8 night, Deck 6, Cat E1 (balcony), 177 sq. ft. $ $3686.00.

11/09/08, Mariner, 7 night, Deck 6, Cat D1 (balcony), 206 sq. ft., $2977.08. All these are at the back of ship though...is that a bad thing?

Also, please excuse my ignorance but are upper and lower berths like a murphy bed which comes out of the wall?

As you can see, I'm confused so thank you for any replies.

Well I was up till 5am searching ships/rooms and such. I do have to say that within that 5 hours of searching prices and availability, they were changing before my very eyes. It was very annoying as I went back to hold a specific stateroom, it was either gone or priced higher. At times I'd make my way back to that particular ship/stateroom and it was there again. Anyway, since I've not ever sailed with RCCL and actually have not sailed since 1988, I'm not so sure what a good deal really is. Here's what I think I have it narrowed down to. Can anyone give me advice as to the better deal, better ship, better room out of the ones listed here. We are a family of four which includes two son's ages 9 & 13. We're flexible with time but are looking more towards Oct or Nov.

24 hour hold - 10/11/07, Liberty, 7 night eastern, Deck 7, promenade family stateroom (inside, 300 sq. ft) $3065.48. Are these hard to come by and do they overlook the promenade?

24 hour hold - 11/08/07, Liberty, 7 night eastern, Deck 8, promenade family stateroom, $3265.48

11/29/07, Independence, 8 night, Deck 3, Cat I, ocean view stateroom (183 sq. ft) $3284.12

11/29/07, Independence, 8 night, Deck 6, Cat E1 (balcony), 177 sq. ft. $ $3686.00.

11/09/07, Mariner, 7 night, Deck 6, Cat D1 (balcony), 206 sq. ft., $2977.08. All these are at the back of ship though...is that a bad thing?

Also, please excuse my ignorance but are upper and lower berths like a murphy bed which comes out of the wall?

As you can see, I'm confused so thank you for any replies.

For the price, I would go with the balcony, However if the family stateroom is 300 sq feet, thats a good deal as well especially if it overlooks the promenade. Sorry - I'm not sure which ones overlook the promenade for sure. Upper/lower berths - you are correct. The ones we've had in a balcony room, pull down from the ceiling and are at right angles to the bed(s) below.

Personally, I love having a balcony. If I couldn't get one, a promenade room would be the next choice. Since your sons are 9&13, have you considered putting them in a room across the hall or next door to you? Alot of times there is not much of a price difference, but boy what a difference it makes to have that second bathroom and to be able to share some alone time with your spouse. There will be plenty for the kids to do on any of these ships.

When you say the Mariner rooms are at the back of the ship, are you talking about the end of the hall facing rear? If you are, those are usually well sought after rooms.

In my opinion, the Mariner is a wonderful ship and the Voyager class is a great size, not too big, not to small.

Another consideration, might be which port would be more convenient for you?

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am considering 2 rooms next to one another specifically for the extra bathroom and private time. As far as the Mariner goes, the rooms were towards the back of the ship but I did see availability for rooms (can't remember what ship)at the very end of the hall facing rear. I figured in these rooms you'd feel every wave and didn't want anyone getting sick. Is that untrue?

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am considering 2 rooms next to one another specifically for the extra bathroom and private time. As far as the Mariner goes, the rooms were towards the back of the ship but I did see availability for rooms (can't remember what ship)at the very end of the hall facing rear. I figured in these rooms you'd feel every wave and didn't want anyone getting sick. Is that untrue?

Thanks again

The most movement will be felt in the front and the back of the ship. Granted if it is rough then everyone will feel it. The most stable area is midship and low.

I do have a suggestion. Once your decide on the cabin type that you want, I would call Royal Caribbean to book the cruise. They have a much larger list of available rooms than what they show online. You may only be seeing rooms at the back of the ship online, but when you call they have a ton more. That happened with our cruise. I was going to book online, but called to ask a question unrelated to actually booking. They woman asked if I wanted her to look and see what cabins they had available, since they don't list every open cabin online, especially premium cabins, like hump and aft. Long story short, I was able to get an aft JS for the same price as the regular JS. It wasn't shown available online.

Sorry for the rambling, I have a tendency to do that...:o

I'm sure you're probably aware of this, but the dates that you're contemplating are during hurricane season, so that may have an effect on what ports you actually get to go to. RC and other cruise lines do a good job keeping its ships and guests out of harm's way, but its something to think about. With that being said, I think the Oct. 2008 booking would be my choice. It seems you would get the best value for the money.

Also, check if you decide on the balcony, most balcony staterooms that hold 4 people, do not have pullman beds. They usually have a pull-out sofa bed. The deck plans on RCI web site have symbols for the cabins showing the sleeping options.

Gregg

We had connecting Promonade rooms on the NOS when we cruise with our kids ages 20 & 18 then. It was wonderful having the connecting rooms. Both bathrooms were available to all 4 of us. We kept the connecting doors open except for sleeping. It worked our really well. There is no way the rooms were 300 sq feet though. They felt bigger with the connecting door open.

When I cruised with my family from age 13-17, my brother and I (who is 3.5 yrs older than me) always had a separate room either next door or right across the hall. I believe now they have rooms that have connector doors between them too. I would definitely go with that.

Archived