Azamara Dress Codes

squirelen

Due to cruise Mediterranean during spring this year on Quest.

Have been a little worried about the dress codes that seem to be allowed

on these ships particularly in the dining rooms.

Could some of you recent cruisers inform us traditional cruisers what we may expect and do you suggest we leave our tuxedos and cocktail dresses @

home?My wife wears the dresses!!!!

Please keep us update.From a dismal dark wet afternoon in Buckinghamshire UK.

We traveled the Eastern Mediterranean November 2006. Our ship was Oceania's Nautica, but I believe the dress code is the same. We found the men dressed in "country club casual" (very few suits). Some of the lady's choose dresses, mainly during specialty dining. I believe you will find a more up scale dress from cruisers on board a Mediterranean cruise, just my opinion.

Could some of you recent cruisers inform us traditional cruisers what we may expect and do you suggest we leave our tuxedos and cocktail dresses @

We are very grateful that we returned from our "cruise" on the Quest. To answer your question, there were some people who chose to dress up for New Year's Eve. However, many passengers were allowed thru the course of the trip to enter the dining room in sandals, shorts, jeans with belly chains and baseball caps. This theme was carried over with strollers pushing thru an already crowded dining room. If watching a woman breast feed at the dinner table at 9PM is your thing - BINGO- you're in luck. This is the place!!!!!The Maitre'd informed us that they were instructed to mention to people that there was a dress code, however, if they did not offer to change they were to be seated as requested. All things considered, this was one of the least offensive things of the Azamara experience.

Be sure to book some private tours as the guest relations desk has no clue to where they are going and informed us that we should look at it as an adventure as they have not been there before.It wouldn't be a bad idea to pack a few games too. They don't offer much on this ship. The card room has been removed and the Martini Bar which was the intimate spot for Trivia, Name That Tune etc, as well as a quiet spot for a drink before and after dinner with a piano bar was replaced with more slot machines, a poker tournament table and a big TV to watch footballl.Velcro would come in handy also as this "ship" rocks and rolls more than most. We were on the BA to Valparaiso cruise on Oceania last year at this time and going around the Cape was nothing compared to what this barge did. Could they have left the stabilizers behind during the re-fit????

Good luck to you!!!!!

From a dismal, but amazingly dry, Sunday afternoon in the leafy suburb(?) of Harrow, Middlesex (not a million miles from you) I can assure you that the dress code as described by 'animal lover' is not typical of what you might expect on Azamara. We were on the Quest in Nov 07 sailing the Caribbean. Maybe the guests on the New Year sailing were of a different mix to that of other sailings (I understand that there were many children - on our cruise there was a 2 year old, and a 4month baby.) In fact, the mode of dress at dinner does not resemble anything that I can recall. The ladies were smart casual and on several nights (bearing in mind that we were sailing the Caribbean) the gentlemen wore Hawaiian patterned shirts (not garish though).

As for animal lover's other criticisms, well they're not worth commenting about.

We had a great time on our cruise and have rebooked the Quest for this coming June.

Rita

Leave the tux and the fancy dresses at home. Don't even bring a suit. You don't need it and will look out of place. Collared shirts (polo type or other) with long pants are the norm for men. My husband did bring a sport coat and wore it to Prime C and Aqualina. Nice pants or skirts for women are what we saw on our November South America cruise on Journey. We saw none of what Amimal Lover described, so if you want to wear your belly baring shirts or shorts, eat upstairs at the buffet.

As for Animal Lover's other comments, don't worry. Journey is a lovely ship and the service was excellent. The ship seemed to handle the seas well, although we did not hit any rough weather.

As for the shore excursions, I agree. This is not Azamara's strong suit. Book your own.

What dress code????????? Just returned from Journey quite a few dresed up for New Years Eve but otherwise quite a few gents in sghirts & slacks but just as many in plainTs & Jeans Realy dissappointed with some peoples idea of Smart/Elegant/Resort casual- Dread to think what they do the garening in !!

We are very grateful that we returned from our "cruise" on the Quest. To answer your question, there were some people who chose to dress up for New Year's Eve. However, many passengers were allowed thru the course of the trip to enter the dining room in sandals, shorts, jeans with belly chains and baseball caps. This theme was carried over with strollers pushing thru an already crowded dining room. If watching a woman breast feed at the dinner table at 9PM is your thing - BINGO- you're in luck. This is the place!!!!!The Maitre'd informed us that they were instructed to mention to people that there was a dress code, however, if they did not offer to change they were to be seated as requested. All things considered, this was one of the least offensive things of the Azamara experience.

Be sure to book some private tours as the guest relations desk has no clue to where they are going and informed us that we should look at it as an adventure as they have not been there before.It wouldn't be a bad idea to pack a few games too. They don't offer much on this ship. The card room has been removed and the Martini Bar which was the intimate spot for Trivia, Name That Tune etc, as well as a quiet spot for a drink before and after dinner with a piano bar was replaced with more slot machines, a poker tournament table and a big TV to watch footballl.Velcro would come in handy also as this "ship" rocks and rolls more than most. We were on the BA to Valparaiso cruise on Oceania last year at this time and going around the Cape was nothing compared to what this barge did. Could they have left the stabilizers behind during the re-fit????

Good luck to you!!!!!

As the Oceania Ships are identical, I don't see how this difference was possible (And YES I have been on the Nautica and we KNOW!) The reason we had more rocking this year on Quest was that we got hit by the edges of a tropical storm system, plus the fact we were on deck 8 as opposed to 7 on the Nautica. We had little bad sea in the MED, so couldn't compare!

The games were held in the coffee venue and were well attended, Trivia, Scattergories other similar games that could be played by teams. We played cards in the beautiful, warm, open air of the really nice Pool Patio (Yes it is similar but actually larger than Nauticas). Shoretrips are a problem with BOTH "O" and this line, as they are also going to new ports, we had a very mediocre shoretrips from "O" and prices were as high, very many "O" passengers also get private tours, we had 6 (3 in Turkey) of the 9 trips we did, this time on Azamara we had 1 very nice ships tour, 1 horrible one, the rest we did private. DO YOUR HOMEWORK, find out about your trip beforehand, what you want to do!

As to the dining room, we were very glad to not dress up...we didn't see much inappropriate dress though, T shirts were asked to change or go elsewhere to eat, most were dressed for a nice family evening out. My Dh had a sportcoat and wore it 1 evening, the special "Lobster & Prime rib" night, and promptly dipped sleeve into the sauce! Admittedly we did see sandals, but some from the south and west wear them all the time (cost so much they feel they're dress shoes!)

Again complaints usually have some basis, but the attitude you approach the problems and the people you are asking to solve them will have a great bearing on how YOU are treated. With the tone of your posts it is obvious what your attitude was...'nuf said!

I would say the dress was just as casual on the Nautica...did you expect Tuxes' for Xmas and New Years?? people don't do that much. I hear Azamara gave a great New Years Eve party. with the old fashioned midnight buffet. Hope you find a Cruiseline you like...and stick with it.:rolleyes:

"As to the dining room, we were very glad to not dress up...we didn't see much inappropriate dress though, T shirts were asked to change or go elsewhere to eat, most were dressed for a nice family evening out. My Dh had a sportcoat and wore it 1 evening,..."

Nancy,

In Discoveries one evening I saw a man table hopping wearing a pair of sloppy jeans.

It was surprising because he was someone who knew better.

Marv packed a sportjacket but refused to wear it.

There was a funny thread on "How Many Shoes Do You Pack"

I brought along plenty of shoes but found that after a day of walking around in the heat couldn't put my feet in anything but Easy Spirits.

Laura

Nancy,

In Discoveries one evening I saw a man table hopping wearing a pair of sloppy jeans.

It was surprising because he was someone who knew better.

Laura

Could you clarify? If it is a casual, no dress code ship how did this man know anything?

"Could you clarify? If it is a casual, no dress code ship how did this man know anything?"

It is not NO Dress Code.

The dress code is "Resort Casual."

The dress code is spelled out

within your cruise documents as well as on

the Azamara website.

This is off the Azamara website from FAQs:

What is the onboard dress codes?

Subject: Dress Code

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, shorts, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, due to the recommended attire for Azamara, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Example of Resort Casual Attire:

Women:

•Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants.•Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Men:

•Sportswear, golf shirts, pants, sportcoat (if desired, but not required)•Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

We just returned from the Journey Christmas/New Years Cruise. On Christmas Eve and New Years Eve most people dressed up a little. Some formals/tuxes, but not too many. On the other nights the dress code was casual elegant. We saw everything from Tommy Bahama shirts to jackets. Few ties. I personally didn't see anybody in sloppy attire at night. We ate in Breeza a couple of nights, and although it was very casual, nobody looked offensive. People seemed to dress a little nicer when they went to Prime C or Aqualina. There were several guests who received their luggage very late and one man from Germany never received his. Thanks to the airlines. Those may have been the people that were more casual, through no fault of their own. I hope this helps. We had no complaint on the cruise. It may have been oversold by Marketing, but the crew really tried and things improved even while we were on the ship.

"Could you clarify? If it is a casual, no dress code ship how did this man know anything?"

It is not NO Dress Code.

The dress code is "Resort Casual."

The dress code is spelled out

within your cruise documents as well as on

the Azamara website.

This is off the Azamara website from FAQs:

What is the onboard dress codes?

Subject: Dress Code

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, shorts, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, due to the recommended attire for Azamara, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Example of Resort Casual Attire:

Women:

•Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants.•Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Men:

•Sportswear, golf shirts, pants, sportcoat (if desired, but not required)•Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Okie Dokie, I didn't realise this. I'll be sailing on Quest and now I know what to expect, Thanks.

Hi

Just booked on Azamara Journey, and we did'nt realise that it was listed as a casual ship, so I'll leave the DJ and Tux at home and go with the flow on this cruise.

It now seems that many cruise lines are dropping traditional dress standards, possibly to appeal to a younger market, although casual or freestyle ships are generally considered to be the cheaper end of the cruise industry, so where will this put Azamara? but how anyone could let their lady down by wearing a pair of jeans (which are actually working pants) to dinner beats me.

As Azamara's dress code is printed on the website and clearly points out no jeans in the restaurant, it's actually the Maitre'D who's at fault as he should have quietly taken the gentleman aside and explained the situation before he entered the restaurant, but perhaps Azamoras Maitre'D didn't know the rules, as I have pointed out standards are dropping accross the cruising industry.

Hi

Just booked on Azamara Journey, and we did'nt realise that it was listed as a casual ship, so I'll leave the DJ and Tux at home and go with the flow on this cruise.

It now seems that many cruise lines are dropping traditional dress standards, possibly to appeal to a younger market, although casual or freestyle ships are generally considered to be the cheaper end of the cruise industry, so where will this put Azamara? but how anyone could let their lady down by wearing a pair of jeans (which are actually working pants) to dinner beats me.

As Azamara's dress code is printed on the website and clearly points out no jeans in the restaurant, it's actually the Maitre'D who's at fault as he should have quietly taken the gentleman aside and explained the situation before he entered the restaurant, but perhaps Azamoras Maitre'D didn't know the rules, as I have pointed out standards are dropping accross the cruising industry.

Thank you for your comments as also all the rest of the members who tried to set our minds at rest regarding this matter of dress code.

It really is a shame that we who have enjoyed cruising over the last twelve years have also come to the conclusion that dress standards are no longer regulated and administed by the Maitre'd.Hence this will be our last I think, I do not wish to take my wife to dinner where jeans and sneakers exist.

I do not wish to take my wife to dinner where jeans and sneakers exist.

Hi Squire

Just realized that had we wanted casual/freestyle we could have had 2wks on the casual dress MV Ocean Village out of Barbados for less that half of what we are paying for this trip, and also less than half the flying time, still, we will have to give Azamara's casual/freestyle a go before before we can say anything about it.

I think that probably many more cruisers will dress a little smarter for dinner on your trip arround the Med and I'm sure you will have a nice cruise, its just that when someone wanders into the restaurant wearing a sports shirt and the new style creased look trousers I feel its a bit of an insult to the people who have taken the time and effort to dress appropriately.

I glad you pointed out that it was your wife who wore the dresses, which inferred that you wore the pants in your house!! but I'll bet the lady of the house has something to say about that!! LOL.

Since Azamara doesn't list them in their list of suggest clothing for ladies, I'm curious. What do you think of capris for women in the dining room? I'm not talking sloppy drawstring type, but dressy Ann Taylor ones that you would wear with heels in the summer? Is that too casual?

I'm not too worried either way since I'll be wearing skirts and dresses most nights, but I just wondered.

Nice capris would be perfectly appropriate, as would the nice sandals mentioned in a previous post.

Stop stressing, people. Just wear what you would wear on an "informal" night on any other cruise. This "country club casual" dress code does not mean NO dress code, it just means that there are no formal nights. So bring your nice pants, skirts, collared shirts, casual slacks, maybe a sport coat. Plan on "dressing" for dinner, ie, putting on nice clothes. Use good tase and good judgment--don't wear jeans, t shirts or shorts to the dining room (who brings jeans on a cruise anyway--they seem totally out of place on a ship to me), and enjoy your vacation.

There will always be people with no taste I suppose, but we found that on Azamara the pax were a pretty well traveled bunch who knew how to dress and how to act.

, I do not wish to take my wife to dinner where jeans and sneakers exist.

Wow, a bit stuffy :D What someone wears doesn't affect my cruise at all. I think Azamara will not be a good fit for you, Crystal sounds like it would be more to your liking.

Wow, a bit stuffy :D What someone wears doesn't affect my cruise at all. I think Azamara will not be a good fit for you, Crystal sounds like it would be more to your liking.

Not only this poster and all those who insist "People will dress more appropriately in the Med..... I have to tell you that on Nautica last (06) fall NO people don't dress up on the Casual Dress ship...they are very much the exception...nice pantsuits, slacks blouses for ladies, sportshirts and dress slacks for guys. No not Jeans but not what you'd call Appropriate for some of the Stuffy people, yes do plan on other lines or "slumming" or eat in the Specialty venues, thats where the stuffy people go...they feel that everythings a step above there (I personally felt the food wasn't all that great as people "feel" with the great fancy service it MUST be better, so think accordingly) Some people on the Quest on the 12/8 cruise did underdress, not many, and those who truly didn't like Dressing up went to Windows for the stirfry! In general it was nice clothes, but don't worry about suitcoats, most don't wear them! Certainly no tuxes...you miss those find another cruiseline!:D

Read Azamara's website for the "casual" dress code:eek: It is encumbant upon you that you know what the dress code is on ANY ship, not just this one. We booked our Quest cruise for the casual dress code, the small ship experience and the itinerary.

Smart casual is just that by my definition -- no jeans or tee shirts in the dining room. I'm sure some sandals will be fine. If you want to be more casual than that you have options.

My DH is not bringing a jacket (he was going to, but after reading these boards we changed our minds:) ). He is bringing slacks and shirts with collars. I'm bringing slacks and silk and knit tops. I'm assuming that will get us into most any of the dining venues on this ship.

Archived