Healthy/Low-Cal/Low-Fat items on Dinner Menu?

sotadragon

I tried doing a search for this before posting a new thread, but I couldn't find anything.

A friend of mine from Weight Watchers is going on Princess in a few weeks and she's concerned about staying on plan while on the cruise. Does Princess offer lower calorie/lower fat options on their dinning room menu? If so, how are they marked? Do they list any nutritional information for those menu items?

Any help on this question would be appreciated! :)

TIA!

We just returned from the Royal on January 7th.

Menu was marked with Heart Healthy items.

However, no nutritional info.

A fellow at our table has diet restrictions and the Maitre d' would go over the next evenings menu with him. He was then able to chose a dinner that was to his liking.

I am also on ww and did not gain a single pound on the 15 day Hawaii cruise. It helped that I was with a friend who is very active. We took the stairs almost all the time except when dressed up. We were on deck 10, so we always had lots of stairs to take. Also, the Diamond is so large that we got quite a bit of exercise just walking all around. Our cabin seemed to always be at the opposite end of anything we were doing, so that also helped. I pretty much ate what I wanted, but did not eat a lot of any one thing. They had very good lo-cal dressings which I ordered on the side. We had a great table and we all shared desserts, taking a bite or two and passing them around. Anyone who wants to can stay on program with little effort. And I say this as a foodie.

I'm not on WW, but I do have heart issues and diabetes. I had lost 50 lbs last year before our Alaska cruise on the Coral. Needless to say, I wanted to maintain the loss while we were traveling.

I found that the spa menu choices, as well as the heart healthy choices were more than satisfactory. And the sugar free desert offerings were the best deserts on the menu! (I got a few tastes of my wife's deserts and mine were better. We both agreed.);) And I didn'tgain any weight

I'm a "little person--4'11"--and I LOVE to eat!!

But I have to honestly say, I just order what sounds healthy, and I only eat what I really WANT. I've been on many, many cruises--even 30 days at sea and several TA's-- but I don't gain more than 3 pounds.

I do admit that I work out every other day (it makes me feel good). Enjoy the cruise!

A fellow at our table has diet restrictions and the Maitre d' would go over the next evenings menu with him. He was then able to chose a dinner that was to his liking.

DH had the same experience with a low sodium diet. He would choose what he wanted for the next night and it would be prepared for him w/o added salt. It was a fantastic service and the headwaiter (in our case it wasn't the maitre d') was more than helpful in suggesting which items could be modified. I would guess the same can be done for low fat. BTW, we were on Anytime and didn't have any problems with this arrangement. Of course, we used the same DR every night.

Another thing to take into account is that portions are quite moderate. You don't get the gargantuan plates that are so common in US restaurants. She won't find nutritional info, but if she's been doing WW for a while she can eyeball the points.

Oh, and at the buffet, there are always many veggie selections, low fat dressings, plus olive oil & balsamic vinegar if she wants to use her healthy fats. Main dishes vary from roasted meats and broiled fish to not-so-healthy choices, but she will be able to choose and eat to her liking. It's really easy! I don't eat sugar or artificial sweeteners, so no desserts for me ever :eek: (pathetic, I know ;)) but I ate plenty of fresh fruit every day. Didn't gain an ounce :) .

Does anyone know if Activia is available on the CP? I've been consuming this for about a month and it really does work! I hate the thought of trying to tote my own stash, since it needs to remain chilled, and time from leaving home to arrival at NY hotel will be (best case scenario) about 8 hours.

Thanks in advance for any info.:)

Does anyone know if Activia is available on the CP? I've been consuming this for about a month and it really does work! I hate the thought of trying to tote my own stash, since it needs to remain chilled, and time from leaving home to arrival at NY hotel will be (best case scenario) about 8 hours.

I don't think you'll find Activia on the ship. I haven't even seen plain, lowfat yogurt - only the fruit-flavored, "sweet" types that I don't care for. Maybe you could stop at a market near your hotel and pick some up before heading to the ship.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

A friend of mine from Weight Watchers is going on Princess in a few weeks and she's concerned about staying on plan while on the cruise. Does Princess offer lower calorie/lower fat options on their dinning room menu? If so, how are they marked? Do they list any nutritional information for those menu items?

Your friend can ask her waiter to bring the menu for the following night so she can plan ahead - something that's important for those who are watching their weight.

I tend to follow South Beach and have never had a problem sticking to the plan when cruising. I am very specific about how I want my food served - no potato, no rice, extra veggies, dressings/sauces on the side, etc. - and have always been accommodated.

I hope your friend has a wonderful cruise.

Chris

I doubt you'll find Activia on the Sea Princess, i.e., CP, (or any Princess ship). One thing to keep in mind is that the Sea Princess' menus and food choices are a bit different because it's marketed to the U.K. and there are many British food choices that you wont' find elsewhere.

I saw the Lotus Spa selections. They did not look very appitizing at all? Very strange combinations of food. Also at the buffet it was about impossible to find decent low fat salad dressings. Not much in the dessert selections for low fat choices. Breakfast was very hard to find low fat also.They need morning star veggie bacon and sausage strips. Low fat pancake syrups etc. Except for fruit always a good choice. Now the veggie burger at the Trident Grill was fantastic!

Also I drink mostly water. With no water fountains on board it was hard.

I saw the Lotus Spa selections. They did not look very appitizing at all? Very strange combinations of food. Also at the buffet it was about impossible to find decent low fat salad dressings. Not much in the dessert selections for low fat choices. Breakfast was very hard to find low fat also.They need morning star veggie bacon and sausage strips. Low fat pancake syrups etc. Except for fruit always a good choice. Now the veggie burger at the Trident Grill was fantastic!

Also I drink mostly water. With no water fountains on board it was hard.

Sorry to hear that you didn't feel that you were accommodated with low-fat selections. Did you use the Cruise Personalizer to select "special dietary requirements"? If you let Princess know ahead of time that you would like certain provisions, they are happy to accommodate you.

Special arrangements can be made for the following the dietary needs: vegan, low fat/fat free, lactose intolerant, gluten free/no wheat, baby food, vegetarian, low salt/sodium, Kosher, low cholesterol. I don't know for sure how these options apply at the buffet but I do know that dining room personnel are happy to comply with your requests.

As for drinking fountains onboard: I've never seen them on any cruiseship. On any Princess ship, water is available in all dining venues, in your stateroom, and in all lounges. If you want a glass of ice water, just ask a bartender/waiter, and they will happily provide. On my most recent cruise, there was a particular bar waiter who had my glass of ice water ready the minute I approached the counter :) .

My husband and I never gain weight while cruising, and there is no reason that anyone should feel that they cannot eat healthfully while vacationing. Make your dietary requirements known prior to your voyage, and you will be accommodated.

Bon Voyage!

Archived