Alaska: Carnival or Princess?

bigred4770

I have never cruised on carnival before but have sailed nine times (princess, celebrity, rccl, HAL). I have been to Alaska before (both with RCCL). I was interested in going to Alaska this summer with Carnival because it offers a cheap one way (ports I have never been too) and it would be a different experience. I also like the single cabin idea since since one of our people will be by themselves. Princess unfortunitly does not offer any discounts for single travellers.

The problem that i am having is that I am brining my 69 year old mother with me on this one and I am worried about the atmosphere on Carnival for her. I have always found princess to be reliable.

So here's my question:

How do Carnival and Princess compare? How do they specifically compare for Alaska.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

I'll be honest; no personal experience with Carnival. But I do know Princess is the biggest line in Alaska--more choices of ship types and itineraries; and they have it down for all ages! I am always in awe of their ability to provide fun for all members of multi-generational family groups. I'd be a little concerned about taking Mom on a line that does "beer chugging" contests for fun! Well, unless she is a very hip lady anyway hehe. Seriously tho, I've seen so many drunks getting on and off Carnival ships in the Carribbean--got to think it attracts that crowd.

The single supplement on Princess is a problem tho. I think the bottom line would be for me--Princess is better for a multi-generational family group but Carnival offers a better deal for singles. I'd balance the money issue for your single vs that. If the single can afford it or is willing to take a computer generated roommate (I wouldn't but some don't mind) I'd go Princess definitely. But if money is a serious issue for you, I'd say Carnival is definitely better than staying home! That's by far MY third choice :rolleyes:

Hope you have a fabulous vacation whatever you decide to do!

Princess no longer does guaranteed share. Has not for several years. And single supplement for most Alaska itineraries is 200% of double.

On the other hand, she may not find Carnival to her liking. A much younger crowd, and a far more party type atmosphere than Princess.

Ultimately, it probably comes down to which is more important, finances or restful vacationing (unless, of course, you can find one of her friends or other relatives/friends to share a cabin with her, so that both can pay the double occupancy rate).

I'm a few years younger than she, but it would be Princess for me every time.

We have cruised with Carnival (1x), RCI (2x), Princess (5x). We have been on both Carnival and Princess to Alaska both times in Sept. Carnival did not have the party feel as it was the Alaska cruise. There were some things I liked on each cruiseline. Neither ships had pool activities like in the Caribbean.

Princess had better entertainment in the evening and timing of their shows.

We liked Anytime dining especially when you are in port late. Better daytime entertainment on the 2 sea days. We felt food better in dining room.

On Carnival, I liked the food and setup at the buffet on the Liddo better. We ate at the buffet on 2 nights as we had early dining and had missed the time. Trays to carry your food on at the buffet. Free hot chocolate (especially for Alaska), lemonade, and free soft ice cream. On the Carnival Spirit we had a small sofa and table in our balcony cabin, Princess only has sofa's in the mini-suite.

Archived