Marva Shaw!! Quick Question!

mobbie

Mobbie,

Your question has been answered (store your things in her van where they should be quite safe during your excursions), but I wanted to throw in my two cents about Marva... she's awesome, friendly, professional, fun, ... shall I go on? I've never read a negative review about her. Better yet, my DH and I had a FABULOUS time with her on our cruise last year. I hope you have as much fun as we did!!! :D By the way, which tour did you book?

Marva is wonderful and such a sweet person. She will tell you all about her island - how people live, what they eat, etc.

Her van is very safe. We just took one of those waterproof boxes that you wear around your neck with some money for Dunn's River Falls. Everything else stayed in her van.

We did the Falls and then she drove us all over the place - up into the hills and through a bunch of different areas. We feel like we really saw the island and how people live.

Marva and her very special son, Javia, are the best guides we have ever had. You are in for a treat!!! They are very service orinated and will do anything and everything to please. Please tell Javia "his Texas lady" says hello!!!!

Ohhhh.... Thanks!! You are all making me so very excited!

We asked to go to the falls, tubing, we want to see the country, eat lunch somewhere, and she said her son will take us snorkeling!!

A little of everything!

For those of you that gush so much about her, do you think there is anything from the states she would like that she can't get in Jamaica? (I always tip well, but I also like to share our culture too!!)

10 days 'till the cruise! Whoohoo!!

We have Marva booked for our Feb cruise, and I have a question.

What do you tip? Do you use a percentage like you would for a restaurant, or what? Is there an etiquette? I do not want to inadvertently insult anyone, and I can guess from the glowing reviews that our tour will be wonderful!!

Any advice will be welcome

Patt

I have a question about Marva too. Does she have big van/busses or can you get a tour with just you group? I have seen some pictures of her beside a bus but then also pictures beside what looks like a minivan. We aren't interested in a big group, we would prefer to do our own thing.

I have a question about Marva too. Does she have big van/busses or can you get a tour with just you group? I have seen some pictures of her beside a bus but then also pictures beside what looks like a minivan. We aren't interested in a big group, we would prefer to do our own thing.

Well I can tell you that our tour is for just me and my hubby...no big group. So she does do this type of tour. :)

Patt

Marva offers two types of tours - group and private. A private tour is just that - you and your travel partners. This type of tour is more expensive than the group tours Marva offers (as it would be for most tour operators). The groups tours are open to "everyone." If you book one of Marva's group tours you may be the only group on her van/bus or you may have a few other families... there's no way to know unless you ask Marva. However, don't let this scare you. If you are interested in one of Marva's group tours and like the price, then book it and know that you will have a great tour with a wonderful guide. If you want a truly customized experience, then be prepared to spend more, but know that you will get a wonderful guide worth her weight in gold.

Good luck deciding! I hope you choose Marva - so many of us adore her!!!

You can find Marva at http://www.knowjamaica.com/. If you have questions, you can email her at knowjam@yahoo.com. She always responds within a day.

As far as taking an extra gift for her, that is an excellent idea! She loves scented body wash and handbags. She is a woman, so think of things we love - she will love them too :)

I know you will enjoy your day with her.

Just want anyone considering arranging tour with Marva Shaw that you will be completely satisfied. My husband and I loved her. I spoke with her via email prior to cruising. When our ship arrived in Jamaica 1/18/08 she was waiting for us at the end of the pier with a big smile on her face just as promised. We had a wonderful day, climbing Dunn River Falls, River tubing and spending time at a great beach eating delicious jerk chicken. Can't wait to go back so she can show us much more of her beautiful country. Price you pay is based on what you do. You won't be disappointed and will be happy to tip what you feel comfortable giving. We are so happy to have had the opportunity to meet Marva!!

I sent Marva an email a few hours ago and am hoping she can accomodate us for Feb 4th. We usually tip extra well for great service so I am wondering what would be considered a great tip. I think I will also take some Bath and Body Works lotion and body wash.

Trish

How long does it generally take Marva to reply to emails? We are cruising in a couple of weeks and would like to book her, so I sent her an email 3 or 4 days ago. So far I haven't heard anything back.

Also, I think my husband and I just want to go to Dunn and then head back to the ship. Does she do short tours like this?

why2klisa,

Marva is usually very prompt answering her e-mails - she always answered mind within a day a two. She generally answers them in the evening. It's quite unusual for her to wait 3 or 4 days - maybe you should try again?

If you and your husband are interested in climbing the falls, then you may be better off hiring a taxi for the trip. If you want to add another destination, then book with Marva (if you wish, of course). She will provide a sense of security (she's well known and respected by the locals), get you where you need to go and (maybe most importantly?!) get you back to the ship ON TIME. :)

Have a great cruise!

We had thought about just getting off the ship and finding a taxi, but after all of the bad things we have read about Jamaica, we weren't sure how safe that would be. Honestly, we weren't even sure we wanted to get off the ship as neither of us are a fan of being harrassed.

why2klisa,

My husband had the same concerns about Jamaica and being harassed. I had to talk him into going on the tour with Marva. He is sooo happy he went. We were not harrassed at all. You feel comfortable and safe with Marva. Her goal is to make sure you enjoy your stay. You don't want to miss climbing the falls! Our only regret is not buying the video they took of us climbing the falls. Marva has a safe, clean and comfortable van and she is so sweet and kind, you will have no worries with her. My husband said "don't be stupid, like I almost was. Enjoy yourself in Jamaica!

Archived