Womens dress code

We were not asked to cover our heads while visiting any of the monasteries, churches or cathedrals while in Europe. And we were in quite a few :) Sandals and open toe shoes were ok too.

Many places (but not all) stated NO shorts or halter or tank tops.

Where are you actually going. Your post doesn't say? I have been into churches and cathedrals in shorts, although not very short ones. I have never needed to cover my head and shoulders, not in Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Croatia. They don't care about your shoes.

Can I jump in and ask please ....What would you wear in Nice( Eze,Monaco etc. ), Naples ( Amalfi drive, Pompeii )and Athens port mid Sept ? Planning busy days with private tours.

Thanks,

DGK

Our cruise is in November when it is considerably cooler than the summer. Are jeans acceptable to wear in the churches and cathedrals?

We cruised Nov. 23-Dec 2 : wore NICE jeans in churches and cathedrals. Many Europeans wear jeans despite what you read on some boards. But they dress them up with nice shirts and jackets/scarves/mufflers. We were very impressed by how they dress - much better than most Americans !

I have been in churches and cathedrals in shorts, although not very short ones. I have never needed to cover my head and shoulders, not in Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Croatia. They don't care about your shoes.

Most churches and cathedrals post they do not allow shorts..... doesnt mean people don't wear them. For the most part they do not enforce it but sometimes ..... well - have heard stories of people waiting outside while the rest of their party went in because they were wearing shorts and not allowed. Why take a chance ?

Can I jump in and ask please ....What would you wear in Nice( Eze,Monaco etc. ), Naples ( Amalfi drive, Pompeii )and Athens port mid Sept ? Planning busy days with private tours.

Thanks, DGK

Will still be very warm then. Nice is part of the French Riviera.... I would wear nice crisp white slacks with a cute top (and take a lightweight sweater - just in case) It is windy in Monaco as it is a rocky area that sticks out into the ocean.... it was the only place I was cold during our whole trip during the day. Naples day I would wear something very comfortable if you are touring Pompeii. Lots of uneven walking. I wore teal jeans with a tshirt - this day was our warmest of the trip in late Nov. Can't help you with Athens - havent gotten to visit there YET ;)

Thanks for all of the information. I wonder why so many people post that in Italy (especially ROme & Venice) you have to cover your head and CAN NOT wear jeans and sneakers. (Hubby having a fit)

What do you all know about this. We will be there the end of May.

It USED to be true that to enter some of the churches in Italy, women would have to cover their head. But this hasn't been the case for a long time now.

Shoulders and legs (to about the knee) should be covered. Often in the main tourist destinations there are "shawls" to borrow or even paper "skirts" to wear as a temporary measure to allow improperly dressed people to get in. However, you can't count on it.

As long as you have on a shirt with some sleeve (short sleeves are okay), midriff is covered, and most of your leg to the knee is covered, you should not have a problem getting into any churches in Italy, particularly in Rome and Venice.

That was the case decades ago. Hasn't been like that in Italy or Spain for 20years. When I said shorts, I did mean the long kind, just about the knee, but up to your bum!! However, trousers I guess would be better. Absolutely nowhere do you have to cover your head.

Archived