Couple in 50's need advice

kimocat

Hi Everyone -

We are new to the forum and have been pouring through posts and have narrowed down our first river cruise to Europe on either Amadeus or Avalon -- we really want the french balcony for my slight claustrophobia. What we can't decide is the route. I have a hip that is going south on me, and want to walk at the ports as much as possible, but if the terrain very steep, that is problematic. Given that problem, are there particular routes you would recommend we consider?

We went on the cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest on Amadeus. There were a few sites where there were hilly terrain, but nothing too strenuous, with the exception of maybe one place. But there was transportation provided for those who had difficulty walking either on the cobblestones or up steep hills and stairs. I'm sure if you pick a tour, then investigate it thoroughly, you will be able to come up with something that suites you to a tee.

Buck

Hi Everyone -

We are new to the forum and have been pouring through posts and have narrowed down our first river cruise to Europe on either Amadeus or Avalon -- we really want the french balcony for my slight claustrophobia. What we can't decide is the route. I have a hip that is going south on me, and want to walk at the ports as much as possible, but if the terrain very steep, that is problematic. Given that problem, are there particular routes you would recommend we consider?

kimocat - I agree with Buck. I did the Amadeus Christmas Markets Cruise (Budapest -> Prague) in Dec 06 while waiting for a (bone on bone) knee replacement the next month. I brought a collapsible walking stick but found that Amadeus made transits comfortable for folks worse off than me. Cruises in Western Europe generally have the boat stopping near the center of the city.

WIT

kimocat,

I just finished the Amadeus Christmas Market Cruise last month from Prague to Budapest. Don't have any experience with Avalon, but Amadeus was very accomodating and flexible in making sure everyone had a great trip, including offering a special "Pink" group tour for those that didn't want to walk too far or coudn't handle too strenuous of terrain. For instance, in Prague, we all bussed up hill to the castle district, toured the area, and some continued the tour by walking downhill on a little bit steeper and longer walk, while the "Pink" group took the bus back downhill to the city center and did a shorter tour in another section of the city. In one of the cities, it was extra cold and the group asked the cruise director if perhaps the city guides could give us a little break in the middle of the walking tour to duck in a coffee shop or cafe to warm up, and they obliged with no problem. I found Amadeus very concerned with providing everyone with the best trip possible and was always willing to change things up a bit, add a "Pink" tour guide along the way, etc. A wonderful trip and will go again with Amadeus in the future, but I would also like to try Avalon at some point too. Good Luck, and I'm sure you'll find an itinerary perfect for your tastes. joel

Hello, Kimocat,

We sailed on Avalon Tapestry last July from Basel to Amsterdam on the Rhine. I highly recommend the river and Avalon. There were 4 of us, all with ambulatory limitations. We had no trouble in Stasbourg since Avalon busses you to the city and the walking isn't too bad and then they put you on a boat for a boat tour (nice rest). Heidleberg does involve some uphill cobblestones if you choose to do the castle tour. One of our group walked part way and then rested on a bench while the rest of us did the tour. The pace was pretty reasonable and you could always bail out of the tour and walk back to the bus at your own pace. Downtown Heidleberg was easy - you walked as much as you wanted. In Rudesheim, after a short walk we boarded a trolley that took us to the middle of town. No problem. The Mainz tour did require a lot of walking just to get to the center of town. Two of our group didn't do it. In Coblenz, we found a local trolley tour that went to all the places the walking tour visited, so we didn't do the walking tour and we were glad - it was long. The trolley tour was very reasonable and left right from the pier. Similarly, we didn't take the walking tour in Cologne, but walked to a couple of places near the boat. We found a trolley tour there also, but not until it was too late to take it and get back in time. Just ask a lot of questions of your tour guide to find out exactly how much walking is involved in each tour and then make your decision.

You might try walking around the block a few times each day between now and the cruise. That's what me and DW do, and we are in our 60's. It really gets you prepared for your upcomong trip. Also every hour on the plane, stand up walk to the bathroom, ect to get the blood flowing in your hip....doing so may insure the rest of your vacation goes well. Have a wonderful trip.:) Jer the Bear

Archived