Sydney to Ayer Rocks...is that do-able?

cruisecruzer

If I am in Sydney and want to make a trip to Ayer Rocks...is that something that is possible from Sydney?

and does anyone know who I would contact to arrange that?

Annie

There are direct flights from Sydney to Ayers Rock which leave at about 1000 hours each day except monday. The flight is around 3 hours. There is good accommodation available but would need to be booked well in advance. It is worth spending a couple of days in the area as ther is quite a lot to see and do.

Your travel agent should be able to help as packages are available through Qantas Holidays.

Its a great place to visit

Johnicon7.gif

Be warned the hotels in Ayers Rock are extortionate! There are 5 of them in one complex and range from Backpacker/hostel to 5 star. They are all overpriced because they have a monopoly.

We've been looking at doing this next year with some friends and I would advise to go through a tour company, you will get a much better rate. Have a look at Tripadvisor for Ayers Rock - not too many satisfied customers except for the 5 star which is about $550 per night! Most reviews complain of being ripped off.

I'm not saying don't go - just be prepared to pay through the nose.

Disagree with John who posted an answer to this question. There is nothing to do there but see the rock. One day and night is enough to see it at sunset (do the Sounds of Silence dinner), see it at sunrise and hike around it. Very limited flights in and out so have to coordinate carefuly.

Everything extremely expensive there as they have a captive audience (and everything is flown in).

If I am in Sydney and want to make a trip to Ayer Rocks...is that something that is possible from Sydney?

and does anyone know who I would contact to arrange that?

Annie

We were on a 6 day precruise tour which started in Port Douglas and after the Great Barrier Reef we flew from there to Ayers Rock, or Uluru. It was a package so I have no idea what the hotel, Sails in the Desert, cost for the 2 nights but the included breakfast would have cost $32.00 Aus.

As for the distance to the rock from the hotels there, I would get a tour as you cannot walk there. If you are not on a tour, it was then $25 to enter the National Park in which Uluru, Ayers Rock is located.

As for the Sounds of Silence Dinner which was included, it had to be held in a hall next to the hotel due to a 'controlled fire" that went out of control and there was a lot of smoke there and not safe for the dinner. The other tours we had to the rock and the Olgas were okay but no biggie. I would think that Sydney would be more of interest. It has a lovely aquarium, great zoo and lots of other nice stuff you would enjoy. We Loved Sydney and Port Douglas and Great Barrier Reef but once in a lifetime to Ayers rock was almost too much.

Besides, we were there in January and the temperature was 108 Fahrenheit and the flies, zillions of them swarming around. You had to keep your mouth shut or they would fly in your mouth. Some on our tour had the bad luck to swallow some of them.

As for the pool at Sails in the Desert, you must wear footwear and leave it at the edge of the pool or you will burn the bottom of your feet on the cement around the pool.

Now see what you are missing this trip? Not much.

Gee Thanks,

We have been planning our trip for over a year and will be going from sydney to Ayers Rock prior to our cruise....you made it sound like so much fun:(:(

We may never be this way again and want to experience the beautiful country, I know everyone has different views of what they see and do. I will definatly keep my mouth shut:):)

Sandy:

Sorry I spoiled things for you. Things may go well for you and you may love the place.

It was mainly the heat and the flies that put us off a bit. As for the controlled fires that went out of control, they blamed young people throwing cigarrette butts (lit) out of the car window. I just didn't believe it. Those 'controlled' fires have a habit of going out of control. It happens here too.

Perhaps you will think it is the greatest experience on earth and you will be amazed by the monolith.

Again, sorry if I put you off.

Johanna

Gee Thanks,

We have been planning our trip for over a year and will be going from sydney to Ayers Rock prior to our cruise....you made it sound like so much fun:(:(

We may never be this way again and want to experience the beautiful country, I know everyone has different views of what they see and do. I will definatly keep my mouth shut:):)

Take a look at all these videos....and information :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u9xfe5IlkM&mode=related&search=

ENJOY all the sightseeing!

This is the first time I have posted on this Board. We are going on the Sapphire Princess Auckland/Sydney on 14.2.08. I came across this site by accident about 2 months ago and can’t help myself with looking at it and reading the posts daily. After reading quite a few posts in regard to Ayers Rock (Uluru) I couldn’t help myself any longer and need to make this post to clarify a few things.

We have a daughter living and working at Ayers Rock and therefore have gone there at least twice a year for the last couple of years. We have driven once from Sydney but other times we have flown. When we go to Uluru, we either come back through Alice Springs where we stay for a few days or fly direct to Cairns for a few days prior to returning to Sydney. We have also driven from Alice Springs to Ayers Rocks. So if you need information on these places, I can help. So this is a summary. Hope it is not too long.

Ayers Rock Resort is part of the small township of Yulara. It is situated just outside the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. There are approximately 2,000 residents all of which work for Ayers Rock Resort or support companies and organisations, e.g. Car Rental, Tour Companies, Police. Ambulance, RFDS, Schools, Pre Schools, Fire Station, etc.

Getting there. Flights from Sydney are at 8.15 am and 9.50 am and it is a 3 hour flight operated by Qantas. Time difference between Ayers Rock and Sydney ½ hour but is 1 ½ hours in daylight saving time. Cost of flights are generally $245 one way but at times Qantas have a special of $201. There is a free shuttle bus from the Airport to the Resort. All the general hire car companies are at the Airport, e.g. Avis, Thrifty, Budget, but it is advisable to book ahead. A car is not necessary unless you want to make your own way to Ayers Rock and the Olgas yourself. If you do you will need to purchase a National Park pass on your way into the Park. This costs $25 per person and is a 3 day multiple entry pass. There is also a free shuttle bus which runs around the Resort continually. If driving it is 450 klms from Alice Springs which is a 4 ½ hour drive. To hire a car for 2 days it would cost approx. $120 plus insurance and your pass for 2 people ($50) – total $170. Much cheaper than doing an organised tour and you can do it several times and at your own pace. If going, it is not worth spending the money just for one night. You do need at least 2 nights as the flights get in at approx. 10.15 am or midday and by the time you get to the Hotel it is another hour.

Accommodation. There are 5 resorts within Ayers Rock and yes, you are a captive as they are all owned and operated by Voyages Hotels and Resorts. Actually, virtually everything at Yulara is owned by Voyages, i.e. the Supermarket and Shops as well. Bookings can be made with your TA or direct at www.voyages.com.au which also has a good website. We have stayed at Emu Walk Apartments twice but have also seen the other accommodation. If watching your costs, then the Outback Pioneer Hotel is very nice and reasonable. The low season is from 1 December to 31 March. I don’t know how booking direct for accommodation only would compare to getting a package from your TA but this could be calculated by a bit of research on the web. By staying at the Emu Walk Apartments you can save on meals by having breakfast and lunch in your apartment if you want and then going to one of the many Dining options for the evening meal or alternatively have your meal in the Apartment.

Sails in the Desert - 5 Star The Desert Gardens Hotel – 4 ½ star Emu Walk Apartments – 4 star

The Lost Camel Hotel – 3 ½ star The Outback Pioneer Hotel - 3 ½ star and Lodge – 2 star.

The Camping Ground

The supermarket is an IGA supermarket and prices are dearer than Sydney but not exhorbitant. Supplies are brought in by road from Adelaide on Tuesday and Friday and this is why things are dearer. The village itself consists of the Supermarket, take away food, ice cream parlour, bank, newsagent, souvenir and clothing shops and Gecko’s Café (which is very popular) for all meals. The meals in the hotels are no more expensive than good first class restaurants in Sydney and range from Fine Dining to Casual and Buffet. If you want a cheaper meal, then the Barbeque Bar at the Outback Pioneer Hotel is the best bet. There is also the Kiosk at the Outback Pioneer for cheap and easy meals at anytime during the day. Just get the shuttle bus around to Outback if you are not staying there. Alcohol cannot be purchased in Yulara unless you are seated in a Hotel dining room or Bar or at the Outback Pioneer Bar. If you want to sit in your room or on your balcony and have an evening drink, then bring it with you.

Flies: Much has been written about the fly problem in Central Australia on this site. There are fly nets available for purchase which fit over your cap and completely cover your face. The only people who buy these are the international visitors. Flies are not the problem that they have been written about. Admittedly you do have to brush them away from time to time but they mostly cling to your back. There is a Rosemary and Cedarwood cream that you can purchase in a jar from the souvenir shops which you dab on in very small amounts on your skin or clothes and this is very effective at keeping the flies away.

Weather: During the summer months the temperature is between 35 and 42 degrees but the heat is a very dry heat, very little humidity so therefore you do not feel it as much as you would on the Coast. In winter months it is a very pleasant 25 degrees but can get very cold at night.

The Rock. Ayers Rock (Uluru) itself is certainly worth a visit. It is a most awesome sight and when you walk around it you do feel a certain spiritual presence. It certainly draws you back again to see it. It is approx. 25 klms from the Resort but can clearly be seen from the Resort. The Cultural Centre is also very much worth a visit. The Olgas (Kata TJuta) are totally different from the Rock and are also extremely impressive.

Hi Grey Nomad.

Thank you for your great information.

My daughter has been working at Voyagers Ayers Rock for just over a month so I am looking for info about visiting her soon.

Maybe she knows your daughter.

I miss her already and she came home on the weekend for a wedding too.

We can't wait to visit as we have never been.

Would you mind Emailing me? My daughter had a big list of stuff she wanted when she came. Her bag weighed 30.9kg. And she went with 85kg last month (plus a bike). We are planning to go March/ April so I suppose she'll have another list. LOL

baliaddict@hotmail.com

Lynne

Archived