For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

As I said, didn't mean to target you. It was general - a lot of people here just don't believe a word anyone says if it's about their favourite ship! :D

Interesting, we didn't notice anything major going on during the crossing. Just general day to day stuff. I was thinking hard to try and remember if there were even minor signs of wear and tear anywhere on the ship and I can't think of anything at all. Only another 18 weeks til we board her again and can't wait.

Oh.....ok......I was told that carpets were being replaced all over the ship :rolleyes:

It is not a question of believing what people say about the AOS - it's about recognizing that what may be an issue for one person, may not be an issue for someone else. I respect everyone's opinion and read their posts with great interest :)

Ah, I just noticed that Addict is from the UK. Maybe that is the reason for a little sensitivity toward my comment about just keeping Adventure in the Caribbean.

Well I'll tell you what. Since I only cruise during winter, not only can you have Adventure for the summer but you can also have Serenade, Oasis, and Allure.

Ah Jeez thanks - but we don't cruise in Europe if we can help it. But I'm sure the Europeans would be glad to have Oasis and Allure - can you imagine the uproar that would cause? :D

Notice the smilies I used previously - :rolleyes: and :p. Don't be so sensitive. :D

Oh.....ok......I was told that carpets were being replaced all over the ship :rolleyes:

It is not a question of believing what people say about the AOS - it's about recognizing that what may be an issue for one person, may not be an issue for someone else. I respect everyone's opinion and read their posts with great interest :)

Yes, we saw carpet being replaced, felt it under our feet when we didn't see it actually being done and saw the pill balls that happen when carpet is new and needs frequent vacuuming at first. This was in public areas including the theater.

We also saw the old carpeting being unloaded on a whole lot of pallets in port.

I saw balcony railings that were removed and then reinstalled at a later day with a fresh finish. Our railing on deck 9 starboard side was the only one that was already newly refinished prior to the start of the TA cruise.

I guess I'm generally observant about these things. I am just off Radiance this week and saw that the bad ceiling damage on deck 10 that happened from a pipe leak in Oct. was refinished and looked just like new. And it had looked really awful at the beginning of November complete with electrical damage to the lighting and wet peeling varnish. I didn't witness the repair but I was very aware of the change.

Gina

Here is a view of the deck 9 railing refinished and the deck 8 railing which is removed forward from where the man is standing. There is only white metal showing in front of him. As you can see, the side closer to me from the man is worn from weather on the outside. Normal wear and tear which is fixed on a daily basis just as carpet is routinely replaced. This is Dec 4, 2010 on Adventure of the Seas. I don't remember what date it was replaced but noticed it was back on later in the cruise.

DSC06619.jpg

Gina

Robyn --
I agree that everyone has an opinion & after cruising with others and discussing our experiences on the same cruise .... we had different opinions but perception is their reality.

I too love the AOS and saw the posts about "refurbishing" being done during the TA .... but after being on her before I realize that work is an ongoing process for RCCL. Glad to see the post of specific refurbishing - carpets, railings being done, etc. Certainly didn't sound disruptive based on others not seeing anything being done.

I had seen on St Lucia that some hurricane damage has impacted excursions .... wondered if anyone had personal knowledge of that before I plan excursions (although we don't sail till March). One excursion vendor noted the Tortaille Waterfall area is "closed due to damages"

I know Robyn you'll leave the AOS in good shape to sail again..... I'm getting ready since I'm down to 88 days!!!!

We just returned from AOS on 12/19. Looked like new carpet everywhere. It also smelled like new carpet. (I actually like that smell!) The railing on our balcony looked very worn and had paint splatters all over it.

As far as excursions being impacted by the hurricane in St. Lucia: We used Cosol Tours. They told us up front that the waterfall was closed due to the hurricane. But the tour was still OUTSTANDING! One of our top 3 of all time. :)

Glad to hear that they're maintaining the older ships.

When mom and I were on Explorer in 2006 we were told to lock up all our personal items into our luggage and move it out onto our balcony during one of the port days because they were replacing all the cabin carpets in the aft portion of the ship. We did as we were told and came back that afternoon to a bouncy new carpet. Our luggage was exactly where we had left it and nothing was missing.

Looking forward to all the updated changes when we sail on AOS in 108 days!

Theresa

[quote name='LHARTWICK']We just returned from AOS on 12/19. Looked like new carpet everywhere. [COLOR="Red"]It also smelled like new carpet. (I actually like that smell!) [/COLOR] The railing on our balcony looked very worn and had paint splatters all over it.

As far as excursions being impacted by the hurricane in St. Lucia: We used Cosol Tours. They told us up front that the waterfall was closed due to the hurricane. But the tour was still OUTSTANDING! One of our top 3 of all time. :)[/QUOTE]

I noticed the smell, too, and I also love that smell. I also like the smell of fresh paint. :o

Gina

We really did enjoy the AOS ship. One of the best we've sailed on. The staff was great, too! Other posters have complained about the staff, but we had nothing but a great experience with them. Our cabin steward was our best yet, as well as our main dining room staff. We also enjoyed the Cruise Director, Anna Bass. Our cruise package included a free dinner at Portofino's. We really enjoyed it and highly recommend dining there. It's only a $20 charge, which is the lowest we've encountered for a specialty restaurant. The food was outstanding. We're now suffering from post cruise blues. I'm actually having to cook my own meals and make my own bed! The only cure is to book another......

Happy sailing!!

[quote name='ckrobyn'][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Doc Dancing for my February 13th cruise! :p:p:p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I just noticed that if you are doing a B/B that begins on Feb. 13 that we board Oasis the day before you return to San Juan. I guess we both have something to look forward to very soon!. And after just blowing 10 inches of snow out of my driveway I need it.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I just noticed that if you are doing a B/B that begins on Feb. 13 that we board Oasis the day before you return to San Juan. I guess we both have something to look forward to very soon!. And after just blowing 10 inches of snow out of my driveway I need it.:rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm down to 83 days .... AND 12+ inches of snow, it's still coming down & what's here is blowing all over .... Roads are NOT cleared & "snow emergency" declared yesterday!!! Final payment was made .... Time to start my sign-in online for the SeaPass!

Robyn did you get paper DOCS?

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I just noticed that if you are doing a B/B that begins on Feb. 13 that we board Oasis the day before you return to San Juan. I guess we both have something to look forward to very soon!. And after just blowing 10 inches of snow out of my driveway I need it.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Wow - The Oasis :) Definitely on my short list of ships to try!
No snow here in Toronto - missed us this time, but is headed towards Nova Scotia where my brother lives! :eek:

[quote name='ukx0101']I'm so happy to hear you have your docs for your 13th Feb sailing... that must mean ours are on the way as we're on the same cruise!

Eeeeeeeeee I'm soooo excited!!! Can't wait to do my dance ha ha!

Michelle[/quote]

Michelle - I got an email last night stating my documents were ready, so yes - you're are probably ready too!
See you onboard! :p

[quote name='rupertfrog']I'm down to 83 days .... AND 12+ inches of snow, it's still coming down & what's here is blowing all over .... Roads are NOT cleared & "snow emergency" declared yesterday!!! Final payment was made .... Time to start my sign-in online for the SeaPass!

Robyn did you get paper DOCS?[/quote]

Nope - electronic documents which I downloaded and printed.
Luggage tags have also been requested. I'm ready to goooo!!!! :D

[quote name='rupertfrog']I'm down to 83 days .... AND 12+ inches of snow, it's still coming down & what's here is blowing all over .... Roads are NOT cleared & "snow emergency" declared yesterday!!! Final payment was made .... Time to start my sign-in online for the SeaPass!

Robyn did you get paper DOCS?[/quote]

We've got 14.5+ inches here in Braintree, MA. Still windy and sticky snow. Ugh! Not looking forward to shoveling.

Did you sign up for paper docs? I ordered them so I'm interested in hearing when others get theirs. We leave in a little over 100 days!

Theresa

[quote name='Teeara']We've got 14.5+ inches here in Braintree, MA. Still windy and sticky snow. Ugh! Not looking forward to shoveling.

Did you sign up for paper docs? I ordered them so I'm interested in hearing when others get theirs. We leave in a little over 100 days!

Theresa[/quote]

Theresa - did you have to pay for paper docs? It said on the website that a fee would apply.

Once you are under 100, the time will fly by! :D

[quote name='Teeara']We've got 14.5+ inches here in Braintree, MA. Still windy and sticky snow. Ugh! Not looking forward to shoveling.

Theresa[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ckrobyn']Theresa - did you have to pay for paper docs? It said on the website that a fee would apply.

Once you are under 100, the time will fly by! :D[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask the same thing about the paper docs. I used to look forward to the spiral book showing up but it isn't worth the $35.00 that RCI wants fo them.

14.5 inches? Dear me... the UK came to a total standstill over a few inches!
Just think, all that shovelling burns more cals so you can enjoy all that cruise food all the more ;)

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I was going to ask the same thing about the paper docs. I used to look forward to the spiral book showing up but it isn't worth the $35.00 that RCI wants fo them.[/quote]

Are you kidding me???? $35 for paper docs??????
I'll stick with E-docs and spiral bind them myself ;)

Archived