For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Now if only we could do something about all those Canadians...:eek:

Just kidding.

but gotta love those Canadians. :o

Schmoopie!!!!

I got caught up in answering the Puerto Rican nay -sayers that I forgot to respond to my fellow Seinfeldian :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoPBsLIbU3Evl7tgsqCmDrlujXsvblghpz59kRI5rFfJcwGnH6iuDesw

I am always at the port by 10:00am and we are always boarding by 11:30 or so. Pay no attention to what your cruise docs say - you will be eating lunch in the Windjammer by noon :p

Thanks Robyn, I was hoping you would tell me that. :D Also is the screening room on Adventure or any outdoor movies shown on a big screen? I hope you don't mind all the questions ... I appreciate all the information from you and everyone on this site.

Lisa

Thanks Robyn, I was hoping you would tell me that. :D Also is the screening room on Adventure or any outdoor movies shown on a big screen? I hope you don't mind all the questions ... I appreciate all the information from you and everyone on this site.

Lisa

Lisa,

Yes, there is a screening room on the Adventure, but there are no outdoor movies.

You will find what movies are playing in the screening room onboard when you receive your Cruise Compass in the cabin each evening :)

We don't mind the questions! Keep them coming!!!!

When I started this thread a few years back, I started it with the sole purpose of informing those who were "worried" about sailing on the AOS for various reasons, what sailing on the AOS was really like.....at least from my perspective.

I believe that when I started this thread I had sailed the AOS 3 times. Exactly 2 weeks from today, I will embark on the AOS for the 9th time, and since it is a B2B, I will complete my 10th cruise on this ship on February 27th.

Over the past few years, this thread has continued to survive because of all the people who have sailed on this amazing ship and come back to share their stories :) Of course not every single cruise experience is perfect, there are bound to be glitches and maybe even some disappointments, but out of all the folks who have posted to this thread.....there may be 2 who won't sail out of SJ again.

Once again I will remind all future cruisers that this ship sails out of Puerto Rico - does it seem that strange that many of the passengers are Puerto Rican? Honestly, at this point in this thread -after all that has been said on the subject - it is getting infuriating that some people are still referring to Puerto Ricans as if they are of a different class and that people sailing with them should be forewarned :mad:

Like I said in my very first post - and the same is true today - I find absolutely no difference sailing with a large group of Puerto Ricans than I do sailing with a large group of Americans.....I'm Canadian, but I think Puerto Rico is considered part of the U.S?

One of the things I love most about sailing on the AOS out of San Juan is how "lively" the ship is - I attribute this to the cultural make up of the passengers :) I have sailed on several other ships, but have never seen as many countries represented as on this ship. I get this information when the Captain addresses the passengers from the bridge on the Royal Promenade on every cruise at the welcome aboard reception.

I appreciate the opinions of everyone as no two cruises or cruisers are alike, but pointing fingers at people from Puerto Rico needs to stop. I think after 8 cruises on this ship I am in a position to say that never once has any of my cruises been impacted by anything passenger related. Bottom line is: If you don't like sharing a "home" for a week with people from all over the world - maybe cruising isn't for you?

"nuf said.

The next time I run across the Mayor of San Juan I am going to suggest that he give the key to the city to Robyn, OceanBoy and toonjie. No kidding. You are our best ambassadors!

Lisa,

Yes, there is a screening room on the Adventure, but there are no outdoor movies.

You will find what movies are playing in the screening room onboard when you receive your Cruise Compass in the cabin each evening :)

You're the best ... Is there such a thing as a "coupon book" that you can purchase on board?... 2 for 1 drink coupons or savings in the ship stores?

The next time I run across the Mayor of San Juan I am going to suggest that he give the key to the city to Robyn, OceanBoy and toonjie. No kidding. You are our best ambassadors!

Because we believe San Juan is a fabulous place and so are the people who live there!!! :D:D

You're the best ... Is there such a thing as a "coupon book" that you can purchase on board?... 2 for 1 drink coupons or savings in the ship stores?

Unfortunately there is not. Coupon books are only available to Crown and Anchor Members - have you sailed RCI before? If you have, you would be eligible to receive one of these booklets in your cabin the day you board.

There will be a drink of the day, everyday - but beware, they add some cost to cover the "souvenir" glass :rolleyes: If you want the drink, but not the souvenir glass, just let your waiter/server know.

Is there anywhere besides the Windjammer to eat lunch the day we board?

The Cafe Promenade will be open on boarding day. Here you will find Pizza, assorted sandwiches, whole fruit and pastries. If you are a fan of Italian Prosciutto like I am, make sure you go there on the first day as this is the only day the whole week that there will be prosciutto in the Cafe Promenade ;)

Obviously the WJ has a huge selection of food and of course they will be serving the famous Honey Stung Chicken on boarding day only! :D

Quick question for you: would you have been ok if the situation was reversed and all the music, comedy etc catered to "Americans" and there were Puerto Ricans onboard feeling out of place? It baffles me that people even view this as an issue: this is their home port, just like NYers have their own port, Floridians, etc. And as a Puerto Rican ... or should I say an AMERICAN who has traveled extensively all over the world I'm wildly offended by a lot of the discussion that is going on in this thread.

I'm also curious to know how you got the Canadian percentage without actually seeing some sort of document: how do Canadians stand out from Americans?

No need to attack. First of all, I simply asked if all cruises out of San Juan are like what people were complaining about? I didn't necessarily complain about it. I simply said my only complaint (maybe I should have used the words...'my only observation') was the Spanish speaking comedian and certain areas where music was being played. This does not necessarily mean I was unhappy with this, I just didn't feel I fit in at times. If Spanish was to be the main language on the ship, then why was my daily paper in English? Why were all announcements first made in English? Why did we not see anything written in Spanish on and around the ship? I can answer this for you...because the intelligent citizens of San Juan can speak both Spanish and English.

I was not the one to come up with the percentages...but from what I observed and those actually saying they were from Canada I would agree. If you had been on our cruise and in the venues when they asked for applause if you were from here or there...you might have determined the same. It's not hard to pick out a French Canadian...they speak French :)

Like I said, I will be returning to San Juan :)

No need to attack. First of all, I simply asked if all cruises out of San Juan are like what people were complaining about? I didn't necessarily complain about it. I simply said my only complaint (maybe I should have used the words...'my only observation') was the Spanish speaking comedian and certain areas where music was being played. This does not necessarily mean I was unhappy with this, I just didn't feel I fit in at times. If Spanish was to be the main language on the ship, then why was my daily paper in English? Why were all announcements first made in English? Why did we not see anything written in Spanish on and around the ship? I can answer this for you...because the intelligent citizens of San Juan can speak both Spanish and English.

I was not the one to come up with the percentages...but from what I observed and those actually saying they were from Canada I would agree. If you had been on our cruise and in the venues when they asked for applause if you were from here or there...you might have determined the same. It's not hard to pick out a French Canadian...they speak French :)

Like I said, I will be returning to San Juan :)

Forgive if what you said was taken as a complain on Puerto Rican culture ... you did use the word COMPLAINT so I don't think taking it to mean such was out of line on my part. And the fraction of Canadians who speak French as their primary language is pretty small compared to the entire country (correct me if I am wrong Robyn). Plus, many other countries speak French.

I'm not trying to be a complete jerk (though my level of annoyance at being stereotyped via the internet is showing through), I'm using you as an example of what happens when people start making broad assumptions about other cultures they are not familiar with.

Only intelligent Puerto Ricans speak English?

Forgive is what you said was taken as a complain on Puerto Rican culture ... you did use the word COMPLAINT so I don't think taking it to mean such was out of line on my part.

I think she meant that comment about intelligence as a compliment for being bilingual, at least that is how I took it! Oh well, let's all take a deep breathe and move on!

I think she meant that comment about intelligence as a compliment for being bilingual, at least that is how I took it! Oh well, let's all take a deep breathe and move on!

TO, I actually reread and edited my post because I assumed that was how it was intended as well. My apologies on that one.

ckrobyn

We will be sailing with you on your second leg as you can see from our signature. We are hoping to get some tips on San Juan airport. We did fine last year but we used the valet service. I have read about an AG line but not where it is. Hope we can get some tips maybe at the meet and mingle.Thanks ahead of time.

Rusty & Nancy

Lisa,

Thankfully.

Thank you for the acknowledgement. It is funny, with all the traffic and commotion that goes on in Old San Juan, I find a tremendous sense of peace when I am walking the streets there.

A large majority of the TV's have been changed to flat screens, although I know that some inside and oceanview cabins still have the old style. To the best of my knowledge, all balcony cabins and suites have new TV's. I will confirm this when I am onboard in a few weeks.

I was on a balcony last week and did NOT have a flatscreen tv

I was on a balcony last week and did NOT have a flatscreen tv

I stand corrected :rolleyes: I guess not all balcony cabins have been switched over!

Glad you had a great cruise though!!!! :) I read your mini review on the main boards!

My family (me, my sister and her kids) are embarking on this ship on April 2 for a wonderful vacation that we haven't been able to take in such a long time. This is the first time my family has cruised and will be my third, though first with RCCL.

I've done a lot of research on this ship and granted its several years old, it's also been exposed to the elements for this time so some wear down is somewhat expected. I still think we'll have a wonderful time and am so looking forward to this vacation!

Everyone has the right to their opinions, but not everyone has the same expirence either!

I hope you're upcoming trips are wonderful!

Archived