Bringing booze through security (not in checked luggage)

SPARKY12

Sailed on the Valor this past week. got on the ship around 3. We showed our documents to the first person - before you go though the xray scanner. I had a large bag, he never asked to look inside, put the bag on the scanner, took the bag when it came out the other end. I had a 2 liter bottle half full of diet coke and some 16 ounce bottles of coke. All of the bottles were opened. they were never looked at. They could have been mixed with rum .

In one the ports I bought a pint of rum, put it in a bag wrapped up with some other items, but when I put in on the scanner belt, you could hear that it was a liquor bottle, the dude told me to turn it in to the table, I think if I had laid it on the belt very gently it may have gotten though or does the xray pick up the bottle shape? I have seen many others carry liquor on board in a port.

My mom takes liquor on board in water bottles with her carry on luggage. She gets six packs with plastic rings and pours out the water without ripping the plastic then pours in the rum. She usually just takes on a cooler with pop, water, etc.

Sure, sometimes people get away with carrying it on the ship -- either at embarkation or in ports. We bought a bottle of Crown Royal in Nassau last month and no one said a word when it when through the scanner. They didn't have the liquor check-in table set up until later in the day, so maybe the trick is to do your shopping early.

Had more trouble with Coke and Water than booze! Had a 12 pack of Coke and a 12 pack of Dasani Water that the porter did not want to carry. Put it in the suitcase and then he had to take it!

Had 2 bottles of wine in the carryon, no one even asked. Of course we were under the limit of 1 per person. We had 3 in the party.

In Progresso Mom bought a bottle. Brought it in, no one said a word. They asked if it was liquor. She said yes. No one took it. In Cozumel I bought a bottle. No one asked a thing. We didn't drink them because we didn't want to break the seals and risk them leaking in the luggage.

The difference is that liquor found at embarkation is confiscated and not returned, while liquor found at port is confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. From the Carnival FAQ site:

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Put it in your checked bags or call Bon Voyage if you need a little extra nip in your room.

I was on the Valor 12/30. Dh & I brought two 12 packs of coke in a carry on and 2 bottles of wine in another bag when we embarked in Miami. As we went thru the x-ray, someone asked my dh to open the carry on with the cokes so he could check inside, but no one asked to check the bag with the wine that I carried.

We didn't buy any liquor in the Bahamas, but we bought 3 bottles in St. Thomas that were boxed up for us. Again, this was put thru the x-ray. We didn't see any tables set up for anyone to take our liquor and no one said anything to us about it, so we just carried it up to our cabin. At St. Martin, we bought 2 more bottles of liquor. This time there was a table set up but there wasn't anyone near it and again, no one said anything to us about turning our liquor in, so we took the bottles to our cabin yet again.

We already had a bottle of rum in our room that we had ordered from the bon voyage dept before we left for the cruise, so we didn't open any of the liquor we bought. But it was nice to have it in advance since I packed up one of our bags ahead of time and was able to pack some of the liquor in that bag instead of waiting until the last night to take care of getting all of our things together.

Last cruise the 4 of us brought all of our luggage on board as carry on. Some in the party switched out waters in a 24 bottle case (without breaking the plastic wrap) while I put my choice beverage in rum runner flasks. We also had 4 bottles of wine in one piece of luggage.

The piece of luggage with the wine was pulled aside by security. They just wanted to make sure it was wine and not a hard liquor. The bottled "water" was never inspected and nobody apparently noticed my rum runner flasks...or didn't care.

Archived