Seeking longer more unique Alaskan Cruise suggestions

TylerRose

Hands down our favorite destination is Alaska. Perhaps it is because we cruise every June/ July and the views and temps are amazing. We've done all the "usual variations". Two years ago HAL rescheduled the Prinsendam out of Europe for an amazing 14 day roundtrip San francisco to Alaska. We hit lesser known ports since the itinerary was planned later.... IT WAS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE CRUISE!

We are seeking alternatives to create that longer cruise again, without simply repeating the same 1 week cruise twice.

Thanks in advance!

I am booked on a Celebrity 14 day Alaska and West Coast cruise this week, it has been changed to an 11 day due to mechanical problems, but I would say watch for the longer repositioning cruises at the beginning and end of each season to stretch out your alaska expierence.

Born2Cruize,

We were excited about the Dream because I wanted a longer itinerary, too, but be sure to read all the reviews and the chatter over on the NCL boards. It really put me off. I did read a rumor somewhere on that Board that they might be getting rid of the Dream and replacing it with a newer, nicer ship. if that's true, I will be there in a heartbeat as that itinerray is EXCELLENT!

Kaylas Mom,

Thank you for your words. We very seldom cruise for the ship. We essentually cruise for the itinerary. I have read many boards about the Dream. I also take reviews and rumors with a grain of salt.

As long as there is no sewage in the halls we consider it a great cruise.

borntocruise@mac.com

I have cruised the Inside passage twice and next year would like to do a longer Alaska cruise. I noticed in HAL's Mariner mag which arrived today that the Ryndam does the Vancouver-Seward 7 day one way trip. There is some small print that says on some itineraries that Glacier is substituted for Hubbard, and Sitka for Skagway. So maybe it will work out that a 'back to back' could have a slightly different itinerary. I'm going to get my TA to check it out.

Anyone have any comments on doing a back to back?

What about a long or short stint on the State ferry? Not cruise-line luxury, but guaranteed to go to places the cruise ships miss - Kodiak, for example, or even the Aleutian Islands service. Big ocean, not for flat-water sailors, but relatively inexpensive and very interesting. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html

Do tell me what ports you visited on the 14day SFran-Alaska round-trip that you are referring to that made it such a great trip for you, I'm intrigued!

I'm booked on Celebrity's 10 night S/Fran round trip ending in Vancouver June 2005 and have never been to Alaska so would be great to know what I have to look forward to...

Thanks

Departing July 12th, 2003 from San Francisco, California with ports of call in Astoria, Oregon, Alaska’s Wrangell, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, cruising Yukatat Bay, Ketchikan, Cruising Misty Fjords, Inside Passage, and Victoria, British Columbia, Holland America put together a 14 day cruise I was thrilled with! Since it was a last minute Europe replacement it visited "ports less traveled". She is an amazing ship and I'd love to sail on her again. The residents of Astoria, oregon were thrilled we were there and welcomed us with HS bands, a "flea market", and truely put out the red carpet! In Wrangell we did a bear watch. Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and victoria are more common stops and for good reason, they are use to tourists! But there were several sea days just staring at nature in awe and I loved the relaxing, familial feel of that whole cruise!

Oy.... Back to the present.

Currently considering a cruisetour package. How on earth does one decide "this tour is betteer than the other". I want to go everywhere and do everything!

We know we want a 7 day HAL cruise from Seward- Vancouver to recover... so I suppose it is a start.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Archived