Grand Caymans

wolveptg1

Hi everyone right now I am looking at booking an excursion for stingrays and have heard great things on this board about Nativeways and Captain Bryan's. Anyone out there who has done both and had a preference? The Nativeways tour sounds great b/c it included lunch and Rum point but I'm concerned about the time. The tour doesn't start until 9:00 and ends at 2:15 and ship is in port from 7:00 to 4:00. This is our first cruise and I'm already a little concerned about booking privately but I figure if there's lots of time to spare it would not be that big of a deal and the Captain Bryan's tour is from 9:30 - 12:00 giving us plenty of time?????

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shannon :confused:

This sounds like the perfect trip for us--we will be on the Inspiration-departing at 2pm so I was worried about the times. Some questions

Do you think we have time to do the 2 1/2 hour tour and still have time for lunch before the last tender at say Margaritiville?

Also, we don't snorkel---will we bored at the 2nd stop if we don't try it?

Do try the snorkeling. I had never done it before we took the Stingray Tour it is just SO cool and beautiful

The website says it's a 2 block walk to where you leave. So, do you book at the pier and then walk down there?

I'm just trying to decide if I should wait until I get there or book online b4 I go.

We always book at the pier and once they have a group together, everyone walks to the parking area where we leave.

Blocks in Cayman are very small, you just walk across the street, behind the small strip mall and you will be in the parking lot.

But after the tour you will be dropped off right infront of the pier.

I want to get this straight, I don't need to book prior - in case my ship doesn't come in in time - we can just go to the pier and find a tour group and hook up w/them? Are the singray tours appropriate for my kids 6 & 9, they swim and I think this is something we should experience, tho I'm not super excited about it - I'd like to do this in the am, and then get a bit of the beautiful beach that I hear about, we have to be back on our ship by 4p - is this do-able? we need a short tour! Also, how long is the boat ride to the reef... is it rocky!! thank you

I want to get this straight, I don't need to book prior - in case my ship doesn't come in in time - we can just go to the pier and find a tour group and hook up w/them? Are the singray tours appropriate for my kids 6 & 9, they swim and I think this is something we should experience, tho I'm not super excited about it - I'd like to do this in the am, and then get a bit of the beautiful beach that I hear about, we have to be back on our ship by 4p - is this do-able? we need a short tour! Also, how long is the boat ride to the reef... is it rocky!! thank you

Yes that is correct.

You will have time to go to the beach afterwards, most tours will give the option of dropping you off at the beach and you taking a taxi back, or the beach as port of the tour.

If you choose to do neither, you will be dropped off at the pier.

Your kids will have FUN!! the water is shallow and clear, my DD was 6 the first time she went to Sting Ray City, she could touch the bottom, the water is as clear as a bath tub and warn too.

We always have time for shopping after the tour is over.

Thank you, about how long is the boat ride to the sandbar - I understand the private tours are less crowded than booking thru our ship - Disney - any tour operator in particular, I've looked several up - we are really looking for a short tour, just for the experience, never snorkeled before and want to be able to get back to go to the beach, bit nervous for the rocky boat ride out to the sandbar.

7mi beach is the one to go to right? thank you!

Thank you, about how long is the boat ride to the sandbar - I understand the private tours are less crowded than booking thru our ship - Disney - any tour operator in particular, I've looked several up - we are really looking for a short tour, just for the experience, never snorkeled before and want to be able to get back to go to the beach, bit nervous for the rocky boat ride out to the sandbar.

7mi beach is the one to go to right? thank you!

The ride is about 20 minutes.

We have anywhere between 7 & 15 people on the private tours we have taken.

Carnival has a huge busload, they also try and get in a spot away from the crowds.

thank you - what tour operator did you use, did you pre-reserve, or do it when you got off the ship?

We wait until we get off the ship, we use capt. Bryans.

You can also book online if it makes you feel safer, if the ship, for some reason does not get to anchor in Cayman, he will refund your money but we have found that you get a better deal if you wait until you arrive.

Also you can negociate price with him & others at the pier.

Thanks for your help, we might just wait b/c I've been hearing that sometimes they don't dock in time etc. I do have stingray booked thru our ship but I'm imagining lots of people and its about 3.5 hours, I want to do something a bit quicker, maybe we can see what they have - so just get off at the first tender and find the tour ops - thanks again!

ok. thanks for all the info everyone! now that i've read thru the posts, i think we will just wait until we dock to find capt. brian. does he have signs? where should we look. never been to gc before! also when booking right then and there, can we use a credit card? or is it better to have cash. many thanks!

Sea Grape is not as crowded as the other beaches and there is no charge to use it as it is a public beach, not private.

All the beaches on Grand Cayman are Public! Feel free to park yourself anywhere you would like :) That being said, beach chairs are not included, but Carnival gives you the biggest towels!

All the beaches on Grand Cayman are Public! Feel free to park yourself anywhere you would like :) That being said, beach chairs are not included, but Carnival gives you the biggest towels!

Just keep in mind that beaches are public up to the high water mark...above that, it could actually be someone's property. However, if you're respectful of the beach and clean up after yourself, you likely won't have any problems...

(Sorry, it's one of my hot buttons, since we have property in Cayman and came home from a grocery run the one time to find people sitting in our lawn chairs on our back patio...)

Sitting in your patio chairs!!! :eek:

Beaches are indeed public up to the mean high water mark. That is the point that high tide reaches on an "average" day. That's actually pretty close to the water's edge. Tide only moves a few inches a day.

No one wants argue over where exactly the line in the sand is, so the best option is to treat any stretch of beach with the respect. Take only photos, leave only footprints.

Just keep in mind that beaches are public up to the high water mark...above that, it could actually be someone's property. However, if you're respectful of the beach and clean up after yourself, you likely won't have any problems...

(Sorry, it's one of my hot buttons, since we have property in Cayman and came home from a grocery run the one time to find people sitting in our lawn chairs on our back patio...)

:eek: Now that would take SOME NERVE! Sorry, I was in no way suggesting someone be so rude. Only trying to let some cruise people know that they don't have to buy a "Beach Day Excursion" from the ships to enjoy the beautiful beaches. :o

My April cruise will be my third time in the Grand Caymans. The first time, I went with Nativeways on their Sting Ray City excursion . . . had a fantastic time! The second time there, I took a tour that took me to the turdle farm, the town of Hell and somewhere else but for life of me, I can't remember where (a very laid back shore excursion to be sure). In Cozumel, I love to swim with the dolphins or sea lions and in Belize . . . it's snorkling. So don't want to wear a bathing suit when in Grand Cayman. Think I'll probably just do some shopping and check out the new Margarittaville (it hadn't yet opened on my last visit there).

Archived