Pride - Jan 6-13, 2008 - Review

suziehmkr

We still love the Pride!!

This was our 2nd sailing on Carnival AND the Pride. We booked this trip immediately after we returned from our first voyage on the Pride. This time we wanted to bring our kids. It was a Christmas surprise for our youngest, so we had to keep it a secret for about 11 months. NOT an easy thing to do. :) This was our 3rd time doing this itinerary, and the first for our children. To give you perspective of the family for activities - we are married (30’s & 40’s), children are almost 14 and almost 19. This was our sixth sailing, DD13’s second and DD18’s first. We are fairly active and like to keep busy. Although we all enjoy some downtime too. So - Here we go!!

* We drove down the day before and stayed at the Guesthouse Hotel in Long Beach. We don’t need fancy accommodations and the cost for one night in this hotel with parking was close to the amount we would have paid for just parking at the port. The hotel is what it is… safe & simple. No bells & whistles. It is also not as close to the port as other hotels. However, they do offer a shuttle down to the highlight areas & the Long Beach cruise port, free of charge. We had our car, so we simply drove ourselves that evening. The continental breakfast in the morning also includes waffles. Pretty good spread for the price that we paid for the evening & parking for a week (less than $100 including taxes.) When it was time to return on Sunday after our cruise, the shuttle was busy. So instead of having us wait for ½ hour to 45 minutes, they told us to catch a yellow cab and they paid him when we arrived back at the hotel. That was a nice gesture. All in all – if we were sailing out of Long Beach again and needed to park the car, we would have no problems booking this again for the price that we paid.

* We got up Sunday morning and headed over to the port around 10:00am for early check in at the Queen Mary. This went smoothly & painlessly. We toured the back of the QM on the self guided tour and then went over to stand in line. It did start to rain a bit, so we moved under the awnings. We were headed into the building around noon… Slight wait in the room, embarkation photos and then we were on the ship!

* This ship had come out of dry dock just a couple of weeks early. This appears to have been mainly for mechanical maintenance under the vessel. They did take the time in dry dock to add the 9 hole mini golf. It is on Deck 10 Forward, directly above the spa. We didn’t get a chance to play, but there will be pictures in my gallery once I get them uploaded. This will probably take a few days to get done. There was also new carpet in many areas and some of the staterooms. They did expand the teen area Deck 4 forward by moving the video games over to a room to the side – this simply created a gathering space for the older teens. But nothing else that was major.

* We had a MUCH better experience in the dining room this time and went most nights. The girls even went one night without us while we dined up at David’s & the staff took great care of them. They remembered our names from the first night. Always served up our preferred beverages upon arrival. Remembered the breads that we liked and knew that we would each order 2 shrimp cocktails each on most nights. They dealt with the odd requests from the teenage girls without batting an eye. Miles above the service that we had experienced just one year prior.

* David’s Supper Club…. We are glad we did it, but probably wouldn’t make a habit of it. It was a great experience. The presentation was fabulous, the staff wonderful and the service was fantastic. I will have pictures of our meals when my gallery is uploaded. I will be honest that both my filet (I had the surf & turf) & DH’s porterhouse were not as tender as we expected. Actually, the filet that I had down in the dining room a couple of nights later was actually better. The rest of the meal was spectacular and those would be our only concerns. I am sure we could have both sent them back, but didn’t feel like creating a hassle. There was more than enough food for the evening and it wouldn’t have made that much of a difference for the hassle.

* Club Carnival for the 12-14 year olds was definitely lacking. They started off ok with activities, but it dwindled from there. DD13’s main comment was that she wished they did more than just have disco nights in the club. There was a lot of focus on the younger ages. These kids all felt that they 12-14 group was more of an afterthought. In fact, their capers were simply copied off from the Pre-Christmas cruises, which still had Christmas show rehearsals scheduled. It was painfully obvious that this age group is not given much attention.

* We spent most of our pool time at the aft adult pool. It was much more mellow & relaxing back there. We grabbed chairs mid-morning on the 2nd sea day and spent most of the day back there. The other two pools were a zoo and we were glad we had secured chairs in the back. The DJ music was gone from the aft pool, so that was missed. But throughout the cruise, we often found ourselves back there. We did not see a child in the adult pool/spa at all – far different than what we had seen the year before. And there were quite a few kids onboard, even though most schools were back in session.

Other observations, comments & random thoughts…

* Most of the activity staff has changed in the last year. Jeff Bronnnson is still the CD. Izzie is the only other staff member that was the same. We really missed Karl with a K. We spoke to Jeff about him and they are still working on getting him promoted to CD on one of the ships permanently.

* No complaints about the quality of the food. We all enjoyed what we got. If there was ever an issue, it was resolved very quickly by our wait staff. They were on the ball. Buffet still seemed to be lacking the variety that we are used to on other lines. Although all of the food we ate (and we ate a lot – yikes!!) was great. The fruit & salads were fresh… mmm and on the last sea day, I particularly enjoyed the chocolate dipping station. Pineapple, cheesecake squares, fudge balls, donuts – all available to dip with dark chocolate. We definitely lived by Jeff B’s motto: Eat Free, Eat Often. Eat until you are tired, sleep until you are hungry. :) There is no way anyone is going to starve on this ship!

* The afternoon ice cream sundae buffets are no longer self serve. Not sure if passengers were making too much of a mess or not. But all of the fixings are available – they just serve them up for you.

* As discussed here, galley tours (on this ship, at least) are a thing of the past. I asked one of our servers, since I had taken the tour a year ago about it. My oldest is a culinary student and wanted to take the tour. They have discontinued them for precautionary reasons for Noro Virus. Absolutely cannot complain about that at all. Completely understandable and I respect the decision.

* I let Ocean’s Player’s Club know that we were going to be onboard. Chocolate Covered Strawberries were delivered to our cabin just prior to muster & a photo coupon delivered to dinner on the first night. Thanks OPC & Carnival! We did spend quite a bit of time on the slots. Win & lose – we didn’t lose too much, but had a good time while we played. We did see a couple of big payouts, so some slots were paying more than others. I couldn’t tell you anything about the tables, as we never sit at them. But the Craps table sounded quite lively.

* Shows are all still the same. If you haven’t seen them before, then definitely go see them – they are all good. But if you have been on the Pride in the last year or more, they haven’t changed…. Not even the comedian’s jokes.

* Spa – on the last sea day, I took advantage of the Pick 3 for $90 deal. I had the 25 minute massage, 25 minute facial & mini pedicure. The back massage was great, the facial pretty good and the mini pedicure was also well done. However, upon advise from these boards, I wrote on my paper that I did not want to be sold anything. However, this was completely ignored. When I declined to hear the sales pitch, she got quite rude & pushy. I simply repeated that I was here for the services and not to buy anything else. It was clear she was ticked. I was quite clear, but not rude to her. It did put a sour note at the end of the treatment. I was the last customer in the spa that evening… so when I returned to my cabin, I checked our account to make sure the charges were correct before we went down to close out our cash account. Well somewhere between my cabin & the purser’s desk (about 6 floors in the elevator), the spa decided that I had also signed up for a yoga class at such a late hour and decided to add $10 to my bill. ???? This was not discovered until the next morning when I checked the itemized statement. This required a trip to the spa & purser’s desk by my husband…. Not sure how it happened. But I have read it enough on here to realize that it isn’t uncommon. So, my first experience with the spa could have been better. I just wish they would read the sheet and respect the wishes of the person that is getting the services. But, as I mentioned – the back massage was fabulous! Especially after excursions that included ziplines, horseback riding & kayaking. :)

* We had pretty smooth seas for the entire trip. The movement got more noticeable the last evening, a bit later. But nothing compared to what we had experienced the previous year. We had pretty good weather for the entire week, once we got into the warm zone. Dolphins & whales were spotted in the afternoon on our 2nd sea day… and Cabo was beautiful as we passed a bit later that day.

* We were in cabin 8230 which is an 8I Aft Extended Balcony Quad. Great location… one level up and you are at the entrance to Mermaids…. A few levels down and you are at the dining rooms. Everything else was a bit of a walk, but we LOVED this location. Previous cruise was same location on Deck 5. The first evening, I was a bit concerned because in the middle of the night, we could hear them moving chairs upstairs. However, we slept solidly the following evenings and didn’t notice any noise if there was any. DD18 particularly liked this location because she was fascinated with watching the port pilots getting on & off the ship. His “door” was right below us. We had no complaints about cabin service. We rarely saw our cabin steward, and he didn’t come in and introduce himself like others had – but we certainly didn’t have any complaints. Any notes we left were carried out without any problems. The girls even got cookies on the formal nights. Towel animals on all nights except the 1st – which we all loved.

The Pride is still a fabulous ship and we would have no problems sailing on her again. I can’t think of much else right now, other than it was a wonderful trip. We wouldn’t hesitate to book Carnival again. We will be sad to see the Pride go, but we are happy to have sailed on her again before she leaves the West Coast.

Please do ask questions…. I will do my best to answer. Port reviews will be coming in a few days on the Mexican Riviera board & photos will also follow.

Thanks for the review - will be sailing on the Pride this coming Sunday. What was the weather like in Long Beach, and your first 2 days at sea? Also, was the ship cold? When we sailed the Fantasy last year it was absolutely FREEZING. I hated it - I wasn't prepared!

Thanks~

Anni

Thanks for the review - will be sailing on the Pride this coming Sunday. What was the weather like in Long Beach, and your first 2 days at sea? Also, was the ship cold? When we sailed the Fantasy last year it was absolutely FREEZING. I hated it - I wasn't prepared!

Thanks~

Anni

It was rainy when we left Long Beach on Sunday. There were plenty of people out at the pool on Monday, although I felt it was a little chilly. Tuesday was a great pool day!

As far as the ship being cold... I almost always have something on my shoulders, and I wore my hoodie quite a bit. But I am not a good judge of this since I am always cold. :)

When we got back into Long Beach yesterday, the weather was fabulous. So very unpredictable.

Great review looking forward to the ports of call and pictures but please hurry I leave here Thurs. morning for LA I also will be on the Pride this Sunday:D

I will do my best - at work right now :( , so I will work on it a bit this evening. Ask away - questions may help in the meantime. :)

Thanks for such an indepth review...we sail the Pride for the first time in 25 days..so looking forward to SUN and relaxation...glad to hear that your weather was great...although you can still have a great time regardless...I've been scanning the Mexican Riviera boards for info so will look forward to your post on that board...thanks again..

We cruised on the Pride last Jan. and it was our first ever cruise. The Pride was great. I hope it hasn't spoiled me and we will enjoy the Miracle as much in about 11 days!!!!:D Oh my god, I loved Karl with a K. Where is he? What ship? :confused: He is wonderful and would be a great CD.

suziehmkr, that was QUICK! Good job on the review! :D

I was lucky enough to be on the same sailing as suziehmkr and I have to agree with most everything she said. Unfortunately we didn't have the best server in the dining room and our cabin steward was lacking in quite a few areas....but overall the cruise was great! (We too enjoyed David's Supper Club and had the Surf & Turf. We felt exactly the same about our Filet Mignon. If you visit David's, try something different and save the Filet Mignon for the dining room).

Annie_M, you asked about how cold it was. Sunday we pretty much stayed inside or on the Lido by the pool because the solarium was closed. It was rainy and cold so walking around outside really wasn't something we wanted to do. On Monday it was chilly, but I didn't feel it was too bad. My DD laid out on the top deck and only occasionally did she feel a blast of cold wind. The second sea day was much warmer and most everyone was out in the sun. The three port days were beautiful, with Cabo being the warmest (in my opinion). The last sea day was very cold and there weren't many people out in the open. There were only a scattering of adults in the pool...and I think they were mainly in there to be with their children. Definitely take a jacket/hoodie and some comfortable pants.

The floors are very slippery! On the Lido you really need to be careful walking around. Wear shoes that grip! I saw many people falling that were being careful. If you see a 'wet floor' sign indoors.....avoid that area. My DD was walking by the elevators on the last formal night and slipped. She hit the back of her head pretty hard and ended up being picked up and carried to a chair by someone walking behind her. There were employees around when it happened and all they did was point to the sign and walk away.

SunnieD, I got your email...thanks! I'll try to send it out tomorrow. I've met......and love.......suziehmkr. Now you need to sail with us! Join us on the Freedom in April? ;)

Thanks again for the review suziehmkr. I'm going to get one written up and submitted as well. Hope to sail with you again soon! I thoroughly enjoyed your whole family! :)

What kind words!! Thanks so much!! We enjoyed both of you too!! While the April cruise won't work - we will have to keep an eye on each other's plans so we can meet up on another cruise! I am glad you hollared my name and found me so quickly!!

Oh my god, I loved Karl with a K. Where is he? What ship? :confused: He is wonderful and would be a great CD.

I think he is either on the Liberty or the Freedom - I don't remember. But he is also doing some subbing. Jeff is trying to get him to be able to sub for him when he is on vacation from the Pride - so hopefully he will work his way into a CD position soon. We sure did miss his personality on the Pride this time. :(

Pictures are almost organized & ready to be uploaded to my gallery. Hopefully will get them done tonite. Will post when it is done. :) Port review will come after that. But in a nutshell: El Eden Canopy Tour - great, Randi's Happy Horses - fanastic AGAIN; Clear Bottom Kayak & Snorkel - BIG disappointment.

Hey Tina!

How was Randi, Tony and family doing? As you can see below, we're doing the Spirit out of San Diego this year, so we'll miss going back to Stone Island. Love the Spirit class ships. We're gonna miss the Pride also, however, looking forward to sailing on the Splendor. :)

I will be taking my first cruise 2/24/08 on Pride and wanted to take a white dinner jacket tux. Is that to much or would you say most men wore suits?

Thanks!

My DH wore a tux, because I asked him to. It would be the first time we had a formal portrait with all 4 of us and I wanted it to be special. There were a few tuxes, many suits. However, I say - wear what you want to wear!! If you want to don the white dinner jacket - then I say - go for it! :) This will be the last time we rent a tux though.... I have decided that we cruise enough that it is time to invest in one for DH. He knows how much I enjoy seeing him in a tux! ;)

Hey Tina!

How was Randi, Tony and family doing? As you can see below, we're doing the Spirit out of San Diego this year, so we'll miss going back to Stone Island. Love the Spirit class ships. We're gonna miss the Pride also, however, looking forward to sailing on the Splendor. :)

Everyone is doing great! I always love visiting with everyone! We considered doing the Spririt - but doing the Mexican Riviera without visiting Mazatlan would be a tough one for me. Have a GREAT cruise!!

Thanks for a great review.I,too,am going on the Pride on Sunday and enjoyed what you wrote.Have done this cruise a few times on Carnival,the Elation 3 or 4 times,Jubilee and the Pride once.I remember a comedian,Jerome,was on every time.Is he still on?I remember him being quite good.We always go to the shows.WOuld not remember if they were repeats,that is the production shows.Have been on many cruises and enjoy watching the singers and dancers.I remember the weather being rainny last Sunday.Felt bad for you guys going on the cruise.It is not supposed to rain for us this Sunday,we hope.

Archived