Where Do We Dock in Grand Caymen

chirpy007

We have decided to hire a car and drive round Grand Caymen ourselves for the day. Where exaclty do we dock as i need to see what companies are by the pier. Has anyone done this. I have read that GC is one of the safest and friendliest islands.

Thanks

We have decided to hire a car and drive round Grand Caymen ourselves for the day. Where exaclty do we dock as i need to see what companies are by the pier. Has anyone done this. I have read that GC is one of the safest and friendliest islands.

Thanks

Unless you're sailing there yourself in a small boat, you won't dock. George Town, Grand Cayman is a tender-only port.;)

January, 2007:

large.jpg

With that many ships in port, the traffic was horrible in town, mostly because of all the pedestrians.

George Town is where you would rent.

Dave

The tenders dock right in downtown Georgetown, unless the weather is bad, and they have to use the alternate tender area on the south side of the island.

You can see where this is on my cruise map of Grand Cayman.

If you zoom in several levels, you will see the cruise ships anchored just off shore.

Theron

Unless you're sailing there yourself in a small boat, you won't dock. George Town, Grand Cayman is a tender-only port.;)

January, 2007:

large.jpg

With that many ships in port, the traffic was horrible in town, mostly because of all the pedestrians.

George Town is where you would rent.

Dave

That pic cracked me up in a sick sort of way. That's how it looked every time I've been there.......like Houston during rush hour.

While we're on the docking issue, can anyone tell me which ports we will tender at. We will be on the Mariner on July 13th, sailing to Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown, and Cozumel. I don't think I will mind the tendering (hopefully) but we haven't done it since our first cruise, and we only did it at Georgetown. Are we in for a rude awakening?

Remember, you dirve on the WRONG side of the road in GC!!!!

Go to cruisecal dot com. It will tell you how many ships are in port when you are there. I would guess in Cozumel you will dock at the International Pier, about a $6 per cab ride to the downtown shopping area.

While we're on the docking issue, can anyone tell me which ports we will tender at. We will be on the Mariner on July 13th, sailing to Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown, and Cozumel. I don't think I will mind the tendering (hopefully) but we haven't done it since our first cruise, and we only did it at Georgetown. Are we in for a rude awakening?

The only ports where you will tender are Labadee and Georgetown,Grand Cayman. Unless you are one of those who just have to be the first ones off the ship, tendering is usually a very smooth operation. They have been tendering at these ports every week for years and it is rarely a problem. Once the initial rush is over, you can usually present yourself at the tender station and be off the ship quickly.:) I should amend my comment to note that on occasion it might be necessary to tender in Cozumel if another RCI ship is using the International Pier, but it is not a usual occurrence.

If you are not on an organized tour, the ship will make every effort to get those on RCI sponsored tours off first....except!

The very first tender carries some crew members and security to the pier. They will let those already down at the gangway to board with them...This can get you off very early. This is not 100% guaranteed, but you can ask the CD staff and they can let you know!

Go to cruisecal dot com. It will tell you how many ships are in port when you are there. I would guess in Cozumel you will dock at the International Pier, about a $6 per cab ride to the downtown shopping area.

I think some folks do that here in Houston and there in the DFW area as well. At least that is what they are showing on TV late at night.

I am excited in just over 60 days we will be there. Sure hope weather is good...

My DH and I will be on that cruise. Join us on the meet & mingle board.

Actually you drive on the right side of the road in GC and the wrong side of the road in the US:D :D

This goes back to the days of horseback travel, the majority of people are right handed, and when travelling by horse needed their sword hand towards the middle of the path/road, so if attacked they would not have to swing their sword across their body, so people rode on the left side of the path/road, therefore, the left side becomes the right (correct side) and the right (incorrect) side becomes the wrong side!!:D :confused:

Archived