BIG news on the NCL board

SweetEmi

Several people who were on the Star this week said that they announced that they will no longer be going to Fanning Island as of now. Last week they did not make it due to engine problems. The recent cruisers are saying that they will be having only one sea day, which is Monday, and that they will be coming to Kona regularly now.

Wow!! Big changes and much earlier than expected. What I don't understand is how they can get away with it having the Star there with its foreign crew members and such.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

I just checked the Norwegian boards and didn't see anything about this. We're on the Wind in July for 11 days, will they be going to Fanning? Thats the highlight of the trip for us, 4 days at sea and a small island to relax on. Anybody know anything else about this?

Thanks

Tony

25th Anniversary cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;7;10;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

mnstar: You're very welcome.

I, myself, won't believe it totally until I hear it from some official sources, but they were just on the ship - so chances are good that there are changes coming.

What do you like to do? That might help us steer you in the right direction.

(It will be fun to see the Star here for awhile until she sails to the mainland).

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

I am guessing its a rumor. They would be fined quite a bit if they made it public that they were avoiding fanning on purpose.

But then, one never knows until one hears from the powers that be!

Emi, would-ya know it, we doubt we'll be making it to the Big Island this summer. Chris' vacation is much later than we anticipated! This makes next years Alaska thing a little firmer for us though!

S

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Oh...no, that's too bad Suebee...I have you down in my calendar and everything.

I don't know...It is looking like there are SEVERAL different people all saying the same thing...I guess it's just wait and see. They did wait to go to Hilo until Tuesday last week and I don't know of any real reason to do that (like weather, etc)...so that in itself is a bit odd.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

From what is being said...the Star blew an engine and it cannot be fixed until it goes into dry dock, so apparently they will have to be paying big fines for not going to Fanning.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Well, since it is no longer April Fool's Day and they are still talking about it, I'm thinking more and more that it is true.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

I bet the cost of the fines would be less than the cost of taking the Star out of service for x amount of time to be fixed right now.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

From the Los Angeles Times, today (4/4/04), in the Travel Section:

"Starting July 4, the Pride of Aloha — one of the two major cruise ships permanently stationed in Hawaii — will no longer make weekly 1,700-mile round trips to tiny Fanning Island in the South Pacific in the course of its cruises.

Its sister ship, the Norwegian Wind, will continue to make that weird detour from Hawaii, but we should all be grateful for at least some progress toward sanity.

Most recently, Congress gave Norwegian Cruise Line a limited exemption to operate foreign-built ships in Hawaii but only by creating a new "NCL America" line that would hire a largely American crew for at least one of its ships.

This summer, the newly repainted and refurbished Norwegian Sky will be renamed the Pride of Aloha and will confine itself to seven-night itineraries solely in the Hawaiian Islands, spending at least 96 hours each week at ports in Hawaiian cities.

The other Hawaii-assigned Norwegian Cruise Line ship — the Norwegian Wind — will sail 10- and 11-night itineraries of the Hawaiian Islands, detouring on each sailing to Fanning Island."

If you want to read the full article, including some history of the foreign-port requirement, log on to www.latimes.com, click on "Travel" in the left-hand column, & go about 2/3 down the page. You'll have to register, but it's free.

Hope this helps!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;5;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived