Getting a tattoo in port???

if you have St Thomas on the run - there's a place very popular with the crew that's across the street and to the left from the "Havensight" complex that the ship docks at. I have a friend who spent a contract getting a massive one done everytime his ship docked there. He was very happy with their work.

I just googled at it's called jimmy buffham tattoos

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/read.php?4,72008,75564

why would you want to be dealing with tatoo care while on vacation? You can't get it wet, have to keep it clean, and (at least my guy does) you have to keep A & D, Bag Balm, or the like on it. And just because a spot is poplular with the crew, doesn't mean its safe (hygenic). One thing you have to give the US credit for, it may over regulate businesses, but when a tatoo parlor has a certificate from the Health Dept hanging on the wall (at least in Michigan), I feel better. I know they didn't just bribe or pay for that priveledge, it means they were inspected and found in compliance for running a hygenic parlor.

I suppose if you really want a tattoo in port but wouldn't you want to check out the art of the artist first to make sure they are decent? I've seen one too many bad tattoos and others are right....the care of the tattoo...keeping it out of the sun....out of the water.... Blah. But, if that's what you want then go for it! It's your vacation! Have a great time! If you really want a tattoo then go for it!

A tattoo while on vacation doesnt seem like a good idea to me either. I went 7 days before our last cruise and the tattoo artist wouldnt do it!!!

He said it was a bad idea to be out in the sun even if it was covered and I probably wouldnt want to deal with the care.

LOVE the idea though.... :cool:

I've got six myself, and love them! I entertained the notion of getting one in ports, too. I thought it would be really neat to get something done in each of the places I've visited....

Great idea, yes, but I agree with the others. I wanna lay out in the sun, go into the salty ocean, snorkel, parasail, walk around....you get the idea. I know when I get my tattoos I take super good care of them and I don't think I can do that too well on vacation. I put a 50 sunblock on the ones I have now, don't know how I would protect a new one.

You should get one when you get back, inspired BY your cruise! That would be fun!:)

Speaking as a person who is almost sleeved on both arms with tattoos, I would think that getting it done in port is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. You dont know what the rules are with that country's board of health concerning tattoo shops, you dont know if the artist has any sort of training for sterilizing the equipment. Tattoo shops that are in tourist areas dont usually do they best work I've seen. If you decide you want one, I would do your research in your local area, find an artist that specializes in the type of work you want, talk to them first so you are comfortable with them and then get it done. Getting a tattoo isnt like buying a bottle of cheap booze in port, there's a lot more that you need to take into consideration.

If you are concerned about safety and hygiene, and you should be, you should not consider getting a tattoo while on a cruise - too many chances of infection from needles that are improperly sterilized. There are no bargains out there when you consider the potential for infection.

Wow, I don't think people really think about how important adorning your body really is. Vacation is the worst place to get it done.

Not only do you know nothing about the shops or have you seen any of their work but you shouldn't be in the sun or prolong exposure to water(no swimming). So if you plan to stay dry and covered the whole cruise( I think that would make the cruise suck in general(,I wouldn't do it.

Also the safety issues(do they use new needles,autoclaves,ect).

My choices were thought out and important to me with my art and researched the right artist to do it. I guess if you are doing a heart or a butterfly ink away and good luck with that.

Archived