Formal Nights...

danyelle

Do people dress up for formal night?

I hear a lot about Carnival being 'younger', more relaxed and easygoing (as a brand) which is awesome, so I wonder if my formal attire will look ridiculously out of place or not....

while on my first cruise last April ( victory) , most people seemed to be dressed in suits/ dresses, but there were many people in black tie/Evening Gowns so you will not look ridiculous at all. The coolest formal attire by far on that cruise was the Canadian Mountie in his Full Dress uniform.

while on my first cruise last April ( victory) , most people seemed to be dressed in suits/ dresses, but there were many people in black tie/Evening Gowns so you will not look ridiculous at all. The coolest formal attire by far on that cruise was the Canadian Mountie in his Full Dress uniform.

For some odd reason................

Those guys in Kilts and all look cool to me.

And NO, Im not that kind of guy and would not likely wear one myself.....

I guess its that everyone Ive seen in one had a great sense of humor and were alot of fun to be around.

2196201058_79fa94ab3c.jpg

For some odd reason................

Those guys in Kilts and all look cool to me.

And NO, Im not that kind of guy and would not likely wear one myself.....

I too think some of the dress uniforms that have Kilts look cool, but mounties do not have kilts.

rcmp.jpg.10788ad4a2acd28da29bdf140e2c37e8.jpg

I hear a lot about Carnival being 'younger', more relaxed and easygoing (as a brand) which is awesome, so I wonder if my formal attire will look ridiculously out of place or not....

I think most everyone looks wonderful on Formal night, Like another poster said.....wear what you would on RCCL.

There are lots of polls around here on what people wear, also pictures, maybe someone will post links.

I see you have been on RCCL. Formal night on Carnival is no different then RCCL.

I've only been on Carnival, but I bet that everyone dresses the same as on RCI. Can I ask why your changing lines after 3 cruises?

I changed after two I would like to try all the lines and see what I like best. So far RCI has been the best experience. I've heard good things about carnival and the prices are right so I'm trying it out :)

My DH wore this for me two cruises ago.

Then on our last cruise we chose not to go the the formal night at all.

2355186730100084953S600x600Q85.jpg

You lucky duck!

I don't think I could convince my boyfriend to get that spiffy for me.

Thanks for all the responses guys n gals!!

You know what you cannot predict how formal your formal night is going to be on a Carnvial cruise. Not knocking it but it's just a fact you have to face.

Some weeks are full of people who love to dress up while the next week on the same ship will be full of people who have never owned a suit in their lives and for certain are not going to get one for one night while on vacation.

You've read the Carnivals suggested dress rules so you can't go wrong or feel wrong if you adhere to their recommendations. Show up in a nice pressed white T-shirt with a nice pair of pressed no holes jeans with sneakers and your ball cap turned backwards you will get stares but you will be allowed in to eat with the rest of your fellow cruisers. When cruising for vacation remember this: you can pick your ship, pick where you want to go and how long you want to be gone but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people cruising with you. So therein lies the problem of predicting how certain things like formal dress, chair hogs, line breakers,rude smokers,staggering drunks will be with you.

You know what you cannot predict how formal your formal night is going to be on a Carnvial cruise. Not knocking it but it's just a fact you have to face.

Some weeks are full of people who love to dress up while the next week on the same ship will be full of people who have never owned a suit in their lives and for certain are not going to get one for one night while on vacation.

You've read the Carnivals suggested dress rules so you can't go wrong or feel wrong if you adhere to their recommendations. Show up in a nice pressed white T-shirt with a nice pair of pressed no holes jeans with sneakers and your ball cap turned backwards you will get stares but you will be allowed in to eat with the rest of your fellow cruisers. When cruising for vacation remember this: you can pick your ship, pick where you want to go and how long you want to be gone but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people cruising with you. So therein lies the problem of predicting how certain things like formal dress, chair hogs, line breakers,rude smokers,staggering drunks will be with you.

Thanks, and yes I'm aware you cannot predict this, I was hoping past passengers would be able to simply shed light on their experiences is all.

Hi Danyelle (and everyone!)~

I'll tell you this... On my last cruise I dressed up in cocktail dresses EVERY SINGLE NIGHT... to dinner, to the club, you name it... and had a complete blast! I never once felt out of place or over-dressed. I plan to do the same thing on my 2-10 sailing. And both of my prior cruises were with Carnival and although not everyone participated in the formal nights, most of those who did definitely dressed up all the way!

I say do it up to the nines, girl!!!

Hi Danyelle (and everyone!)~

I'll tell you this... On my last cruise I dressed up in cocktail dresses EVERY SINGLE NIGHT... to dinner, to the club, you name it... and had a complete blast! I never once felt out of place or over-dressed. I plan to do the same thing on my 2-10 sailing. And both of my prior cruises were with Carnival and although not everyone participated in the formal nights, most of those who did definitely dressed up all the way!

I say do it up to the nines, girl!!!

I also dress up most nights. I don't get to wear nice dresses or glitzy tops at home - so I think it's fun. DH normally wears a tux on formal night, and I wear clothing to complement. I have never felt overdressed.

However, on our last cruise, a 4 day, we decided to go a little more casual - DH only had slacks, button down white shirt and a tie... and he was a bit underdressed for our area of the dining room. All the guys that I could see had on a jacket/suitcoat of some type.

My experience is that some people like to dress up ALL the time. They will start with the first formal night, and continue to 'dress' every night after that. Teens especially like to bring every formal they ever owned...The ship's photographers do a big business in formal portraits, not just on formal nights. Infact, if your ship has an atrium with fancy stairs, most evenings it will be blocked off by the photo people. EM

Archived