San Sebastián Street fair this weekend

amapola

For those who might find themselves in SJ this weekend (Thursday the 17th through Sunday) you're in for a treat! The unofficial end of the Christmas season is the Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián, a wonderful street fair with music, food, crafts, food, art, drinks, music, food and did I mention food? :) Much dancing in the streets too. San Sebastián is on the north of the old city, runs roughly east-west parallell to the ocean. See http://www.travelmaps.com/OldSanJuan.html

You can find the program here http://especiales.elnuevodia.com/fiestascallesansebastian/index.html but it's in Spanish. I found this in English http://www.thelobby.com/2008/01/dancing_in_the_streets_of_old.php

In any case, just make your way up Cristo (past the Cathedral) and you'll be smack dab in the middle of things. I hope some of you can enjoy this very traditional party!

any idea if any of it will be shown on TV?

I thought that read something about it being on TV, but can't recall where

El Nuevo Día says that the opening will be aired on TUTV (Channel 6) from 8:30 to 10:30. I plan to watch -- I'm not going into OSJ tomorrow night!! :eek:

I've departed twice out of San Juan during this festival. It was wild both times. Lots of fun, but terrible traffic trying to get to the hotel.

That's a good point. For people coming from the airport straight to the ships or to the hotels in OSJ it's a real mess coming in.

I have a cousin who lived in OSJ for many years and she'd actually move to a friend's house for the duration of the festival because it was just too much hassle for her. This was back when the festival ran over two weekends and the whole week in between. Some years ago it was shortened to just 4 days.

we are arriving Friday afternoon and staying at the Holiday inn Express prior to boarding the ship on Sat. Does anyone know how far it would be to go to this festival from the Holiday inn - and do you know if Ricky M will be there on Friday evening?

Normally it's about 20 min by cab, but it might be twice that on Friday evening. Still, it's probably worth it if you like street revelry (think Mardi Gras in NO -- but without all the flashing :eek: ). Ask at your hotel for transportation options.

Ricky won't be there on Friday, but there will be music in several plazas and good times throughout :) .

Archived