From Lahaina to Kahului, best roads? Breakfast after sunrise on Mt. Haleakala?

itsanita

We will be traveling from Lahaina to the road to Hana. On our maps, I noticed a few different routes once we hit Maalaea. Which is the quickest route and which is the most senic? Should we stay on 30 (Honoapilani Hwy), or cut off to 380 (Kuihelani Hwy).

I also remember seeing some breakfast recomendations on this board for the way back from Haleakala N'l Park (after watching the sun rise), but I can't find them again. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, Anita

Anita,

There really is no scenic route from Maalaea until you get past Kahului. It's all industrial/homes/sugar cane fields. Having said that, switching from Honoapiilani to Kuihelani (30 to 380) is probably the quickest. After Kuihelani ends, follow Dairy Road until you hit Hana Hwy and then take a right and off you go!

After Haleakala, we've talked about Kula Lodge as a place to eat breakfast up on the mountain. Also, if you come down Baldwin Avenue from Makawao, you'll end up in Paia which also marks the beginning of the road to Hana. Breakfast in Paia at Moana Bakery and Cafe could be done either when you're going to Hana or coming down from Haleakala - either way, worth a stop.

Spleen

Kula Lodge breakfast menu

Moana brunch menu (this menu is on Sat and Sun)

They do have a smaller breakfast menu on weekdays

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Thanks Spleen, that's just the info I needed. Can hardly believe that we are leaving in just 8 days! I have been haunting this board for a year! Its going to be a very unstressfull vacation, thanks to all you have shared with me. Thanks again for all the time you spend helping everyone plan their trips.

By all means take Kuihelani to Dairy as Spleen suggests. If you stay on Honopiliani it'll take you into downtown Wailuku, which is a pleasant drive, but a bit out of your way if you're heading to Heavenly Hana.

I second stopping at the Kula Lodge after sunrise. Or, you can visit our brand new KRISPY KREEM on Dairy across from Costco. Spleen probably hasn't had a chance to visit that yet as it just opened a few weeks ago.

Enjoy your visit.

I have yet to make it back to Maui since Krispy Kreme opened ... but a TON of people have been coming over from Maui and bringing over doughnuts so I'm getting my KK fix. icon_smile.gif

Anita - have a great time!

Spleen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spleen93:

I have yet to make it back to Maui since Krispy Kreme opened ... but a TON of people have been coming over from Maui and bringing over doughnuts so I'm getting my KK fix. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me about it Spleen. I don't get on a plane for an Oahu meeting w/o a dozen KKs. Sometimes they don't really care if I attend, just send the doughnuts.

June & Dec '03 Norwegian Star

June '00 Columbia / Matanuska

Mar '97 Star Clipper

Oct '81 Azure Seas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spleen93:

I have yet to make it back to Maui since Krispy Kreme opened ... but a TON of people have been coming over from Maui and bringing over doughnuts so I'm getting my KK fix. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me about it Spleen. I don't get on a plane for an Oahu meeting w/o a dozen KKs. Sometimes they don't really care if I attend, just send the doughnuts.

Tell me about it Spleen. I don't dare get on a plane for an Oahu meeting w/o a dozen KKs. Sometimes I think they don't really care if I attend, just send the doughnuts.

Bob - I can definitely see that. At this rate, they may just purchase a seat for the donuts and forget about you. icon_wink.gif

Spleen

Archived