Small ships and movement?

KeepCruizen

Which RSSC ship are you going on?

The Diamond is small but you hardly feel anything due to the SWATH technology. The PG is small but you definitely can feel movement, which is generally ok unless she goes to the Marquesas, in open sea. The Navigator was built on the hull of a Russian icebreaker, and reportedly is significantly less stable than Mariner or Voyager, which are also bigger.

I was on the Navigator to Bermuda last week, and had previously sailed the Song of Flower, which was an even smaller ship. Navigator took the sea in much the same way as Song of Flower, which is to say that you definitely know that you are at sea. That being said, the question is whether that's a problem to you. For me, it helps me sleep (rocks me to sleep like a cradle). My mother was with me, and she had a difficult time walking. She's a little unsteady on her feet on land, so the ship's movement exacerbated the problem. Some people liked the sea motion, some didn't.

We've cruised the Navigator to Alaska and to Bermuda. She actually rides rather well, in our opinion. And the Navigator isn't really as small as the 500 or so guest capacity might suggest. In terms of her real size measurement (gross tonnage), she is about as large as some ships that carry twice as many guests. So you will find this ship to be very spacious and uncrowded.

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
I was on the Navigator to Bermuda last week, and had previously sailed the Song of Flower, which was an even smaller ship. Navigator took the sea in much the same way as Song of Flower, which is to say that you definitely know that you are at sea. That being said, the question is whether that's a problem to you. For me, it helps me sleep (rocks me to sleep like a cradle). My mother was with me, and she had a difficult time walking. She's a little unsteady on her feet on land, so the ship's movement exacerbated the problem. Some people liked the sea motion, some didn't.

Don't forget that sailing across the Atlantic to Bermuda is a lot different than sailing up the Atlantic to New England.

I want to reassure the OP here. I live in Maine and every summer, we take a whale watch out of Boothbay Harbor. Obviously, the ship we are sailing on is miniscule compared to even a small cruise ship. The waters here are usually calm as can be and resemble a sheet of glass....I wouldn't worry about motion!!

Thanks Dougburns for the information on the seas. I realize we may not have the same kind of seas, but it is good to hear that it is possible. Since you did the same itinerary, are there any must see shore excursions that you would suggest? We are also looking forward to the sea days for some much needed rest and relaxation, but if we do venture out, are there activities to keep us busy?

You're going at a good time of year, because the ITCZ will have calmed down about a month before you go. About the only possible rough areas might be around the Hawaiian Islands and going back to the States. In Nuka Hiva we just walked down the beach to the old church and stopped at the Easter Island type statues by the beach for some pictures, then went to an outdoor reataurant for drinks and people watching. It was a nice day. RSSC used to have a party ashore, but the island folks won't allow them to bring the food ashore anymore, so that's history. Papeete isn't much and there's not much to see. Moorea is nice for scuba and waverunners and it's nice to rent a car and drive around the island. Bora Bora is a must do for the waverunner. FUN FUN FUN! In Maui we made the mistake of taking the full day tour to Lanai. Don't do it; you'll be disappointed. Lynn really liked the shopping there. On the big island we did the volcano tour which was just OK. In Oahu there's always Wikiki and the local color. I would mainly just enjoy the shipboard life. There's always a lot going on and you'll probably see lots of dolphins and whales until you get near the equator. If you're not a shellback there is the country fair and the ceremony crossing the equator. Unlike Navy ships, you don't have to participate and you'll still get your certificate. It's a great kickback cruise; the best we've had out of all our RSSC cruises.

Dougburns, thank you so much for the information on the shore excursions. It sounds like the perfect cruise for us, and we are really looking forward to our first time on the Navigator.

Archived