St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

snoopy-leogirl, thank you so much for your input. i am leaning towards DIVI from other things i've read on the boards, but i wasn't sure how "kid friendly" it was. from your description, it sounds perfect. thanks.

a new question: we'll be there next week (wednesday, november 3) and weather.com shows a pretty strong chance of rain the whole week. what has your weather been like lately and what are the local forecasters saying? i am mostly just hoping that weather.com is wrong!

snoopy_leogirl,

Thanks so much for your offer to call and check if they'll be open for lunch Friday, Nov. 26th. We really love rijstaffel; but, oh, that lobster (and, more time for shopping ... lol!!!) is calling me, too!!!

Dolores

DOlores,

I will make that call and find out for you. BTW, they are located in Simpson Bay just in case you were curious to know where the restaurant is.

snoopy-leogirl, thank you so much for your input. i am leaning towards DIVI from other things i've read on the boards, but i wasn't sure how "kid friendly" it was. from your description, it sounds perfect. thanks.

a new question: we'll be there next week (wednesday, november 3) and weather.com shows a pretty strong chance of rain the whole week. what has your weather been like lately and what are the local forecasters saying? i am mostly just hoping that weather.com is wrong!

Unfortunately, for the past 4-5 days, it has been pouring! Today was a nice day. Pretty warm and partly cloudy but no rain. I am almost positive that the weather will be fine next week but if a tropical wave passes through, then it will rain for sure. But usually when it rains here, it stops quickly unless its a tropical disturbance.

I've heard Everythings Cool has closed for good, I've heard only temporarily while remodeling.......do you know? We will be in St Maarten Dec 29th and were looking forward to the many different varieties of frozen drinks they had. Could you recommend a place similar that we may enjoy some beach, lunch and frozen drinks? Thanks for the help.

We will be in St Martin on November 11th. I understand that's a holiday.

1. We were thinking of renting a car (have done this there before), but I've read there would be a race around the island and some other activities. Should we stay in town this time? Cannot afford to miss the ship.

2. If we did stay in town, what celebrations might be going on?

I've heard Everythings Cool has closed for good, I've heard only temporarily while remodeling.......do you know? We will be in St Maarten Dec 29th and were looking forward to the many different varieties of frozen drinks they had. Could you recommend a place similar that we may enjoy some beach, lunch and frozen drinks? Thanks for the help.

Everythings Cool is a place that I haven't been to in years! I think that it is closed for good though. I will try to find out for sure and post back up here asap. Let me try asking around and see what others say.

Honestly, that was one of the best places for mixed frozen drinks. I am not sure that any other place has such a large variety here but maybe you can try some of the beach bars around the island. Oh, wait, in particular there's a few bars at the Sint Rose Arcade (near the boardwalk) that has a decent variety of frozen drinks but I am not sure if they are even close to haveing such a wide variety as Everythings Cool did. But, they are pretty good. If you want to go to a beach and have frozen drinks and a cheap and decent lunch, opt for DIVI. Its not far from the pier, its quiet, pretty and they have a nice beach. If I don't post back in a few days, then my answer would remain the same (that they've closed down).

Hope you enjoy your visit to our island. Enjoy! :D

Dolores,

I have official word on The Wajang Doll. They are closed for lunch (unfortunately). I called them a few days ago and they said that they only open at 7 p.m. for dinner everyday. Sorry, I know you wanted to have lunch there. But hopefully my other suggestions will be good. ;)

We will be in St Martin on November 11th. I understand that's a holiday.

1. We were thinking of renting a car (have done this there before), but I've read there would be a race around the island and some other activities. Should we stay in town this time? Cannot afford to miss the ship.

2. If we did stay in town, what celebrations might be going on?

Hi Maxxboy,

I think that if you rent a car, you will not run into trouble. I think driving around will be an excellent way to see the island on your own. But, just keep an eye on the time. If you'd rather opt for something else, rent a taxi. But seeing that you have driven here before, I think its still a pretty safe bet. Just avoid going to any areas where you see traffic that doesn't move or large crowds of people. Staying in town all day will be boring for you because all the stores will be closed and you won't really seen many people around. Here's a suggestion for you, take a trip to the French Side. That part of the island will be opened because St.Maarten's Day is only celebrated on the Dutch Side. You will enjoy the French Side. There's lots of restaurants along the Marina, there's shopping and sightseeing and cafe's dotted all over the place. Or, if you want to relax, go to Orient Beach or DIVI. Both are nice. DIVI is more quiet though, and Orient might be crowded since its a holiday on the Dutch Side. Try not to stay in town because there are usually no celebrations in town according to what I know. They only do this national anthem thing with the officials and some of the public and they have small celebrations but nothing major that you will miss if you don't see it. I myself have never been out on St.Maarten's Day in my 21 years living here.

Hi snoopy-leogirl,

What can you tell me about Mullet Bay Beach? I'm traveling with a 3, 8, and 12 year old, and am looking for a nice, clean, gentle surf beach (that might have some snorkeling spots from the shore) to spend the morning at.

Would you recommend this beach, and do you know if there are chair/umbrela rentals avaialable? How far of a taxi ride is this beach from the cruise ship pier? Any local conessions on the beach (food/beverage/bars)?

I saw your comments on Little Bay Beach, and am curious to know how you would bompare Mullet Bay Beach to that.

Thanks again for all of your input!:D

Snoopy_leogirl - We will be in St. Maarten next week - Thursday, I believe. Have been dragging my feet booking tours and now need to do it on the ship or on my own. Would like to do the America's Cup regatta. What can you tell me about that? Do they have someone at the pier recruiting customers? Are they near the pier or do we need to take a taxi to their location? We will be on Adventure of the Seas; not sure where that docks, if it docks, etc. Do you have a website for them? I had one at one time, but can't seem to locate it now. Still looking though. Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, we will be on your beautiful island at Thanksgiving time. We will have someone who can't walk very far and will need to use a wheelchair. Do you think this will pose a problem with the road construction? I know Front Street isn't always easy to walk along anyway. Thanks.

DOlores,

I will make that call and find out for you. BTW, they are located in Simpson Bay just in case you were curious to know where the restaurant is.

I am a friend of Dolores and Rafael who will be traveling with them from Barcelona to St. Maarten, and since my system is working while AOL is not, she asked me to forward the following message to you.

snoopy_leogirl Dolores is having computer problems and can't post. She asked me to send you her thanks for checking on Wajang Doll. She is sure that she will enjoy lunch at one of the places you suggested. She hopes to meet you and your father when they're in St. Maarten.

I hope that this works out for you.

D.

We'll be on St Maarten on the first Sunday in December. Are any laundries open that would do the laundry for us while we sightsee? I know you can do that during the week but I don't know about Sunday. Looking for something convenient to the cruise terminal of course.

Does anyone know if divi beach offers a day pass? if so, how much is it?? we are a family of five. also, do they rent snorkel gear??

Even though DIVI is a private property, you can use their beach for free. :D They do rent snorkel gear and I don't think its that expensive even though I can't exactly remember.

Hi snoopy-leogirl,

What can you tell me about Mullet Bay Beach? I'm traveling with a 3, 8, and 12 year old, and am looking for a nice, clean, gentle surf beach (that might have some snorkeling spots from the shore) to spend the morning at.

Would you recommend this beach, and do you know if there are chair/umbrela rentals avaialable? How far of a taxi ride is this beach from the cruise ship pier? Any local conessions on the beach (food/beverage/bars)?

I saw your comments on Little Bay Beach, and am curious to know how you would bompare Mullet Bay Beach to that.

Thanks again for all of your input!:D

Mullet Bay Beach is a very popular beach especially among locals. The surf is probably the highest here than it is anywhere else. But still, its not like you can surf on it. The problem with Mullet Bay Beach is that it is kind of an abandoned beach. When Mullet Bay Hotel was opened, several years ago, the beach was very popular with locals and tourists but nowadays, after the hotel was damaged and shut down after a devastating hurricane, there's not much left in that area other than that beach. Also, they don't have any activities at that beach. The only thing you can do there is swim or relax and tan. According to what I know, they don't even have a drink bar or restaurant. I would try to avoid visiting that beach because, putting it plain and simple it isn't our best beach. The ride to Mullet bay will be about 15-20 minutes.

I think that for the age group that you are visiting with, you should go to DIVI instead. The surf is low, the beach is clean, there are lots of tourists, nice sun, wonderful water, bar and restaurant and also most importantly, the have great water activities. Also, DIVI is nearby from the port (a 10 minute drive).

Hope you have a great visit here, and really think about DIVI because its great. :D I guess also since I haven't been to Mullet Bay in years, I am partial to DIVI.

Can you tell me if there are any shops that sell ceramic masks to hang on walls. I collect them from all over the world. Thanks, Karen

I don't think that there are any specific shops that sell ceramics for the wall but try to visit souvenir/t-shirt shops and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Good Luck!

Snoopy_leogirl - We will be in St. Maarten next week - Thursday' date=' I believe. Have been dragging my feet booking tours and now need to do it on the ship or on my own. Would like to do the America's Cup regatta. What can you tell me about that? Do they have someone at the pier recruiting customers? Are they near the pier or do we need to take a taxi to their location? We will be on Adventure of the Seas; not sure where that docks, if it docks, etc. Do you have a website for them? I had one at one time, but can't seem to locate it now. Still looking though. Your help is appreciated! Thanks![/quote']

I have no idea about the Americas Cup Regatta. I do know that the Adv. o/t Seas docks at the main pier which is in Point Blanche and about a 10 minute walk from town (the end of Front Street).

Okay, I found a bit of information on it from a woman who wrote an article. Hope it helps at least a bit. I think you should especially look at the second link.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stmaarten.htm

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stmaarten_2.htm

Hi, we will be on your beautiful island at Thanksgiving time. We will have someone who can't walk very far and will need to use a wheelchair. Do you think this will pose a problem with the road construction? I know Front Street isn't always easy to walk along anyway. Thanks.

Wow, I am not sure about this but I know that the construction has made a huge mess on the street with wiring, sand, dirt, cables etc. I think it might be a bit challenging for someone to maneuver around on a wheelchair but as long as the person has help, they'll be fine. Just be cautious and careful when moving. However, a huge chunk of the street is completed so you'll be fine there.

I am a friend of Dolores and Rafael who will be traveling with them from Barcelona to St. Maarten, and since my system is working while AOL is not, she asked me to forward the following message to you.

snoopy_leogirl Dolores is having computer problems and can't post. She asked me to send you her thanks for checking on Wajang Doll. She is sure that she will enjoy lunch at one of the places you suggested. She hopes to meet you and your father when they're in St. Maarten.

I hope that this works out for you.

D.

I am glad that you reached me and that Dolores got my message.

Thanks! :D

Are you getting a better idea of when your store will reopen? I will be in St. Maarten November 17, with 20,000+ other people!

Oh yeah, I know that there will be 4-5 ships almost everyday in November and December. I wish that we could open soon but its really not in our hands. :( We have to wait till construction is complete. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be able to open. :D I try to be optimistic.

We'll be in St. Maarten on Wednesday, November 17th on the Caribbean Princess. We would like to meet up with some friends of ours who will be on vacation that week in St. Martin also. Can you recommend a fun beach bar near the Philipsburg cruise ship pier where we could meet? :confused: We would like to be within walking distance back to the ship.

Thanks, PAT

Archived