St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

[font=Comic Sans MS]Snoopy leogirl: I enjoyed reading all the posts here, and gathering information.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]I have a question for you. I've been to St.Maartin 4 times. Each time we spent our day doing the following: shopping on Front St, taxi over to Marigot for a stroll around the pier, Talk of the town in Grand Case (sp?) for lunch, then back to the beach area near the ship. I will be visiting again in February and I need some suggestions on what to do. Although we love Talk of the Town's food & atmosphere, we could use a new location for lunch. Something perhaps on the beach & with a bbq. I guess this is a Lolo? Since we haven't been to Orient Beach or Divi Beach which you recommend , perhaps you can suggest a place similar to Talk of the Town near them?[/font]:p

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Snoopy_leogirl,

The December 8, 2004, New York Times had a wonderful article entitled, "Island Delights: Pigtail Soup With the Chef." The article featured the roadside stand, Hilma's Windsor Castle on the Dutch side, and Rosemary's in Marigot.

Where exactly is Hilma's? I'd like to try her salt fish sandwich. And where is Rosemary's? Her jerk chicken and ribs, snapper, fried fish and braised goat all sound wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Margie1983us']snoopy leogirl,
Thanks for all your help. Can you give us the name of your store (if you'd rather not, its ok) we would love to visit and maybe make a purchase for all your help. Looks like Divi, it is. Our 14 year old boy might not want to come home if he finds out there's a nude beach. :D
Thanks Again Margie[/QUOTE]

The name of our store is Shopper's Paradise. Located across from Old Street on Front Street. DIVI is a great choice. :D Better than the nude beach... ;)

[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=red]Hi Snoopy leogirl,[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=#ff0000]Thanks for making this thread so interesting. [/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=#ff0000]Can you suggest a beach area that we can enjoy bothing shopping and the beach taking just one cab ride?[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=#ff0000]We were thinking about Bikini beach but were not sure if there is any decent shopping to go with it.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=#ff0000]Thanks in advance for your reply.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=#ff0000]Dan[/color][/size][/font][/b]

Hi there,

any advice on Great Bay Beach. Can we walk there from the pier? How close are the shops in Phillipsburg from the beach. Are there bathrooms at the beach, places to eat?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!

THANKS A BUNCH!!! We are on the golden leaving PR on 1/23 and can't wait to go to St. Maarten!

Could use some information on where to buy inexpensive liquor. Someone told me that there is a place that will deliver it to your ship? Will be there in MArch for the first time and this thread has given me some great information. We are looking forward to having lunch in Marigot and do some shopping. DH is not into beaches.

Hi Snoopy leogirl,

Thanks for making this thread so interesting.

Can you suggest a beach area that we can enjoy bothing shopping and the beach taking just one cab ride?

We were thinking about Bikini beach but were not sure if there is any decent shopping to go with it.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dan

Hi,

I think that Orient Beach (which includes Bikini Beach) is the best spot on the island where you can relax on the beach, participate in activities and shop, all in one place. Though the shopping is not going to be the best (meaning, having a lot of options and variety), you still can find various things at the beach to shop for.

Good choice.

For the best shopping, however, visit Front Street in Philipsburg.

Hi there,

any advice on Great Bay Beach. Can we walk there from the pier? How close are the shops in Phillipsburg from the beach. Are there bathrooms at the beach, places to eat?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!

THANKS A BUNCH!!! We are on the golden leaving PR on 1/23 and can't wait to go to St. Maarten!

Great bay beach is the part of the huge stretch of beach on front street all the way to the end at the back. The only problem with this beach is that its far away from all the shops and stuff so if you want to visit great bay beach, you will have to walk for a while or you can take a taxi there. Actually, the other problem with it is that since great bay hotel is closed for renovations, there is no food around that area, nor restrooms, and drinks etc. It would be much better if you can go to the same beach but pick a spot that is closer to the stores (around the boardwalk area, right outside Taloula Mango's restaurant). Here you can find restrooms, food, drinks, shops right behind and more people in general. Go to Great Bay only if you are looking for a very quiet area with nothing to do, just tranquility. There are much less people but I don't think you'll find any food/drinks here and its a much further walk away.

Could use some information on where to buy inexpensive liquor. Someone told me that there is a place that will deliver it to your ship? Will be there in MArch for the first time and this thread has given me some great information. We are looking forward to having lunch in Marigot and do some shopping. DH is not into beaches.

Wow, I am not sure who delivers liquor to the ship but I know that Ray's Jewelry International, right across from Holland House Beach Hotel, has liquor that is very cheap.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have a question for you about a hiking tour on your island. I can't find the information on the web-site because that part is under construction. I am told it is a hiking tour that shows the beauty of the mountains and wildlife. ANY HELP!!!! Thank you.

Laura

Thanks for the great advice Snoopy_Leogirl.... Ive heard that the Great Bay Beach hotel will re-open on Jan. 22nd. We should be in St. Maarten by 1/28. Is this still an option by then? Also from the pier are we coming into the beach from the east or west side? Are the facilities ok (Food, changing areas, drinks, beach chairs)?

For the use of the resort in Little Bay, do they charge outside guests? Can we get there using the water taxi? What kind of shopping is there?

Im so sorry for the endless questions. But i greatly appreciate all of your help.

Cynthia

I've tried to read most of your replies and thank you from all of us who are trying to get the most out of your beautiful home in a short period of time. My wonderful sister who has been working hard for the last couple of years on a nursing degree has asked me to visit the Dooney & Bourke outlet. I would like to put some toward what she is giving me to get her a bag for her upcoming graduation. Is there a D & B outlet in St Martin??? If so where would I find it???

Archived