Carnival Pride vs Celebrity Mercury

jimbug

Hi everyone,

I recently booked the Celebrity Mercury out of San Francisco in March...but there's a possibility she may be scheduled for a refurbish in that time period, and I may be looking for a new ship...

I'm contemplating the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach the week of March 12th...(the recent sanitation problems don't trouble me...I trust they will fix it by then)...I need some help. It looks like a gorgeous new ship, and I feel that I would really have a good time on it. I've only sailed the Sapphire Princess's 2nd voyage, and am used to the sparkling newness of such a nice ship. I realize the Pride is a few years old, but she looks great from the pictures.

Anyway, it will be me (22 yr old) on my 2nd cruise, and my mom (52 yr old) on her first cruise. Hubby and I went on the Sapphire for our honeymoon, and I've become addicted to cruising since! :) I'm trying to win my mom over...and I've been warned by some that Carnival may be too rowdy for her. What do you all think? Thanks for your help!

I am a mom that has a 21 year old daughter. I would love to cruise anywhere anytime with her! I am fearfull that the week you have picked out might be a spring break week, tho. ( I know my daughter has spring break that week) I sailed on the Mercury last year and loved her! That was my first cruise and my husband and I are now in love with cruising. We are headed out on the Carnival Fascination early next month for what we feel will be a higher energy cruise! We can't wait. Mom will love any of the cruise ships you select. I would try to avoid the spring breakers (unless this is what you and Mom are looking for!). Have a GREAT trip!

We have been on the Pride twice when she was sailing from Port Canaveral.
It's our favorite ship! Very classy, beautiful!
There were all ages when we sailed-would go on her again in a heartbeat.
All kinds of activities for young and old. I remember the first time, an OLD lady with a walker about knocked me down getting to her favorite slot machine lol.
I dont think you would be disappointed with the Pride at all.

We sailed the Pride the week of March 12th this year (2004) and loved it. We were celbrating our 10th anniversary on the 12th and left the kids at grandmas.

In CA this is early for Spring Break and we did not have the overwhelming feeling that there was an abbundance of party-people on board. It was a really nice mix. If you are in to it, this was also he tail end of the period where you could still do whale watching excursions in PV and Cabo. We did the sailboat whale watch in PV and had a great time.

As for the newness of the ship, my opinion is biased as this is the only cruise we have ever been on. However I would not hesitate to jump back on the Pride. It felt well aintained and the exterior of the ship is pristine. I found myself looking for the ship on the horizon whenever we were on shore. Like many others on the Board here, I like the Spirit class of ship. Even with 300 crew/passengers on board, it never felt like it was that packed.

Enjoy the trip.

Archived