Cabins and Cigarette Smoke

emt04

Is it rude for a passenger to tell a smoker that they are on the wrong side of the ship? :o

Absolutely not. A passenger SHOULD tell a smoker they are on the wrong side. However, if the passenger does so with a smile and a nice demeanor rather than a combative or judgemental attitude, it will probably go much better.

In response to kirisong1, the smoke smell certainly has stayed in many cabins we have been in. Often you can tell the brand of cigarettes smoked by the previous occupants. Several cruises we have had to prop open the verandah doors (contrary to cruise line request) and freeze (contrary to my fondest desire when going on a tropical cruise) for the first few days out of port to get the smell out of the cabin. It also does go out around the doors into the halls in every ship I have been on. Walking down the hallway, you can count the in-cabin smokers on a given deck, should you choose to do this instead of lounge outside with a good book or eat or take bridge lessons, or..., or...

Do you find this more on certain cruiselines? I have never had a smoke issue on HAL.

In response to kirisong1, the smoke smell certainly has stayed in many cabins we have been in. Often you can tell the brand of cigarettes smoked by the previous occupants. Several cruises we have had to prop open the verandah doors (contrary to cruise line request) and freeze (contrary to my fondest desire when going on a tropical cruise) for the first few days out of port to get the smell out of the cabin. It also does go out around the doors into the halls in every ship I have been on. Walking down the hallway, you can count the in-cabin smokers on a given deck, should you choose to do this instead of lounge outside with a good book or eat or take bridge lessons, or..., or...

Interestingly enough we've never had any issues with cabins smelling of smoke even though we're pretty sensitive to smoky rooms - especially my wife. I've read that if your room does have an issue that they will put a machine in it for a few hours that removes the smoke smell - presumably an ozone machine. Ozone machines are supposed to be pretty effective in removing smoke smell, although I imiagine you'd need to be out of the room while it is running.

Absolutely not. A passenger SHOULD tell a smoker they are on the wrong side. However, if the passenger does so with a smile and a nice demeanor rather than a combative or judgemental attitude, it will probably go much better.

Although on many occasions there are those who are simply being rude, I do think there are times when smokers make an honest mistake (especially on pool deck) and dont realise they are on the wrong side. If I lit up on non smoking side, I would thank someone who told me. I am one of those who doesnt know north to south, east to west, spin me in a circle on a ship and I spend all day trying to get my bearings!:)

So if anyone sees a dizzy blonde on the wrong side..please tell me!;)

Although on many occasions there are those who are simply being rude, I do think there are times when smokers make an honest mistake (especially on pool deck) and dont realise they are on the wrong side. If I lit up on non smoking side, I would thank someone who told me. I am one of those who doesnt know north to south, east to west, spin me in a circle on a ship and I spend all day trying to get my bearings!:)

So if anyone sees a dizzy blonde on the wrong side..please tell me!;)

Exactly. I give folks the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are not doing the wrong thing intentionally. Usha, if you ever nicely steer somebody in the right direction and they respond negatively or with hostility, I think you SHOULD sic security on them and that they get what they deserve...

It's not like a hotel where you can smell it after another person has been there, the cabins don't smell like smoke. I think they have great ventilation and they use some spray or something that takes the smell right out of the air. It's not a problem guys!!! Have a great cruise!!

Carole

That is entirely untrue. It is exactly like hotel rooms which have previously been occupied by a smoker. (Fortunately, we no longer book hotels which offer rooms in which smoking is permitted, but I'm old enough to remember the old, disgusting hotel rooms.

We had to have a "super-duper" expensive (for the cruiseline) scrub-down of our cabin this summer after it had been occupied by a smoker, where all soft goods (including draperies) had to be removed and replaced with clean ones; high-power machines were used, etc.

Ventilation technology is not sophisticated enough to remove smoke from rooms.

At the very least, smokers who are intent about smoking in their cabins for much of the cruise could at least refrain from smoking in their cabins on the last day ("packing day") and disembarkation morning. That might help a bit.

CELEBRITY patrons who want to smoke in their cabins and also want to be considerate of the (mostly) nonsmoking passengers who will occupy their room after them might also consider booking portside cabins on Celebrity, even though this is not a requirement.

Even when portside is the preferred selection based on scenery, we choose to book starboard on Celebrity in hopes that most nonsmokers will be there or at least the most considerate of smokers, i.e. the ones who don't smoke on their balconies when fellow passengers are present.

Although on many occasions there are those who are simply being rude, I do think there are times when smokers make an honest mistake (especially on pool deck) and dont realise they are on the wrong side.

This is absolutely true. The pool deck (during parties, when people are standing and milling about, anyway) seems to be the exception.

On our first cruise on the Mercury, in 2003, there was a wonderful deck party and on two separate occasions smokers who lit up on the starboard side were kindly reminded (by me) that they were on the nonsmoking side, that they were welcome to stay on the starboard side if they didn't light up and they moved to the port side without hesitation. Not a problem.

I might add, though, that cruise was round trip from San Francisco and there were far fewer smokers than I have seen on any other cruise before or since, and I never saw or encountered a single cigar smoker, even in Michael's Club, which was, at that time, a cigar lounge. (We passed and entered into Michael's Club every day, since our cabin was just footsteps away from it, and we only encountered one woman reading and smoking a cigarette on the port side of the room. No cigars, ever.) We were told by a member of the cruise staff that Michael's would cease being a cigar lounge "soon" as it was underused. The cigar fad had faded, thankfully. Celebrity stuck to their word and you can't smoke cigars there anymore.

We're considering another round trip San Francisco Mercury cruise mostly because we apparently can't use our cruise credits (issued to us due to cigar smoke problems on the Infinity last summer) on Azamara, even though I was told at the time that we could.

So, round trip San Francisco is our only other realistic option if we are to cruise a Celebrity ship. It's a bonus that we won't have to fly.

Archived