Cabins and Cigarette Smoke

emt04

I believe smoking is allowed on the Port side, is this correct? I was wondering, if you book Sky Suite 1247 on Century do you have any problem with smoke from the Sunset Bar (or a lot of noise within the cabin).

Thanks.

I actually stayed in that SS last April. It was great. In case you dont know, that suite was completed added (brand new) during the dry dock. That area had previously been a video arcade (so my Butler said).

It has a HUGE veranda (in fact, prob 3 times the size of the Millie we just sailed on)......Dining table with 2 chairs, plus 2 loungers.

We had absolutely no noise issues or smells coming from the bar. There is a staircase that is adjacent to the veranda, and although it is not frequently used, there is some traffic and people can see into your veranda.

I think you made a great choice.

That's good to hear. We booked the Suite for my in-laws, their first cruise, so I'm glad to hear the room is nice. We are adjacent to it. You get such varied reviews, I was starting to worry. It's good to hear some first hand information on the suite.

Thank you.

I believe smoking is allowed on the Port side, is this correct? I was wondering, if you book Sky Suite 1247 on Century do you have any problem with smoke from the Sunset Bar (or a lot of noise within the cabin).

Thanks.

I was confused about smoking in the cabin. I didn't see guidelines mentioned anywhere. I was in a starboard side inside cabin and there was an ashtray and a sign above the bed saying no smoking in bed. I assumed that meant I could smoke but out of consideration for the passengers in my cabin after me, I refrained from smoking in the cabin. I really don't like all my clothes smelling like smoke anyway, go-figure. <G>

Andy

I was confused about smoking in the cabin. I didn't see guidelines mentioned anywhere. I was in a starboard side inside cabin and there was an ashtray and a sign above the bed saying no smoking in bed. I assumed that meant I could smoke but out of consideration for the passengers in my cabin after me, I refrained from smoking in the cabin. I really don't like all my clothes smelling like smoke anyway, go-figure. <G>

Andy

Smoking is allowed in all cabins currently on Celebrity and always has been. The Port and Starboard regulations only apply to public areas, they do not apply to cabins. I am only passing this information on as a fact and express no opinion either way....

Smoking is allowed in all cabins currently on Celebrity and always has been. The Port and Starboard regulations only apply to public areas, they do not apply to cabins. I am only passing this information on as a fact and express no opinion either way....

I'd rather not smell smoke in the cabin, but it won't kill me. It does seem absurd though that you can't bring a travel iron but you can smoke in the cabin.

I didn't think smoking was allowed in the cabins at all. I thought only on deck and in some of the public lounges.

Celebrity's smoking policy from their website, FAQ section:

Cigarette Smoking is permitted:

• In staterooms.

• In designated areas on the port (left) side of most public areas (Lounges, Bars, Decks).

Cigarette Smoking is not permitted:

• In the Celebrity Theater.

• In the Cinema.

• In the Conference Center.

• In the Dining Room.

• In the Elevators.

• On the starboard (right) side of the ship, either indoors or outdoors.

Pipe and Cigar Smoking:

• Pipe and cigar smoking is only allowed in specifically

designated areas on outer decks of the vessel.

• Please check with the Guest Relations Desk for these specific venues.

• Please note that at no time is cigar and pipe smoking permitted in staterooms/suites or on their verandas.

It's not like a hotel where you can smell it after another person has been there, the cabins don't smell like smoke. I think they have great ventilation and they use some spray or something that takes the smell right out of the air. It's not a problem guys!!! Have a great cruise!!

Carole

That's good to hear. We booked the Suite for my in-laws, their first cruise, so I'm glad to hear the room is nice. We are adjacent to it. You get such varied reviews, I was starting to worry. It's good to hear some first hand information on the suite.

Thank you.

What Suite, Sweet, children you are! ;)

What Suite, Sweet, children you are! ;)

Thank you, we do try. I don't know if they will be able to fully appreciate a suite, never having been in a regular sized (tiny) cabin. It's our first time upgrading to a suite too.

We just got our docs for next month's cruise on Infinity. The Cruise Vacation Guide booklet says smoking is permitted on starboard side of lounges and open decks, not port side. Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outer decks (presumably the same starboard side).

Whatever.....just check the dailies.

Cabo

Thank for clarifying the smoking regulations. We have been on 4 Celebrity cruises and had no problem with smoking until last November. Our CC cabin on the penthouse deck was on the port side. Our next door neighbors smoked and it was nearly impossible to use the balcony. Also the smoke actually came in to our room thru the wall near the cabin door. It was awful and I was thinking, oh well I guess that is it for Celebrity for us. However, knowing we can book the starboard side will be a huge help. We went to the cruise critic meeting on our last trip and the guest relations manager mentioned that most times, but not always are they able to rid cabins of smoke. We are fans of Oceania for many reasons but their strict no smoking policy is near the top. I believe Azamara is the same.

We just got our docs for next month's cruise on Infinity. The Cruise Vacation Guide booklet says smoking is permitted on starboard side of lounges and open decks, not port side. Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outer decks (presumably the same starboard side).

Whatever.....just check the dailies.

Cabo

This is twice now that someone has posted from the guide about the starboard side being the smoking side and everything and everyone else is saying port.

What gives on this? This is what needs to be addressed, the confusion between customer service, onboard guest relations and printed material.

This is twice now that someone has posted from the guide about the starboard side being the smoking side and everything and everyone else is saying port.

What gives on this? This is what needs to be addressed, the confusion between customer service, onboard guest relations and printed material.

In all the time I have cruised with Celebrity it has always been "port" side. uring that time I went from a smoker to a non smoker. So believe me I paid attention.

However, perhaps X wants to give the port side a rest and have changed to the starboard side:)

Thank for clarifying the smoking regulations. We have been on 4 Celebrity cruises and had no problem with smoking until last November. Our CC cabin on the penthouse deck was on the port side. Our next door neighbors smoked and it was nearly impossible to use the balcony. Also the smoke actually came in to our room thru the wall near the cabin door. It was awful and I was thinking, oh well I guess that is it for Celebrity for us. However, knowing we can book the starboard side will be a huge help. We went to the cruise critic meeting on our last trip and the guest relations manager mentioned that most times, but not always are they able to rid cabins of smoke. We are fans of Oceania for many reasons but their strict no smoking policy is near the top. I believe Azamara is the same.

You realize based upon what was said earlier in this thread that the starboard and port sides DO NOT apply to the cabins but only public areas.

What needs to be addressed is the fact that MANY smokers don't care. They never read the Dailey's, the signs, etc. to see where they are allowed to smoke. They just plop down and start smoking. On every cruise we have been on, there is always that group of smokers that are on the wrong side. To make matters worse, the crew do nothing about it.

Is it rude for a passenger to tell a smoker that they are on the wrong side of the ship? :o

What needs to be addressed is the fact that MANY smokers don't care. They never read the Dailey's, the signs, etc. to see where they are allowed to smoke. They just plop down and start smoking. On every cruise we have been on, there is always that group of smokers that are on the wrong side. To make matters worse, the crew do nothing about it.

Is it rude for a passenger to tell a smoker that they are on the wrong side of the ship? :o

No, it's ruder to be smoking in a restricted area. I say this as an ex smoker...two years smoke free. When I was smoking it used to drive me crazy to see smokers who really didn't care.

On the Celebrity Century in November the port side was the smoking side. On RCCL Legend of the Seas it was the starboard side. As others have said, this is for public areas only, all staterooms allow smoking on Celebrity.

The original question was:

Thanks.

I believe it has been answered to the extent possible. (it seems like the policy can vary from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing.)

If you have further information about which side of the ship is OK for smoking, go ahead and post a reply. However this thread is not about the health aspects of smoking or about smokers. That's why some posts have been removed.

Please stay on topic. Thanks.

please be aware that since there is smoking in the cabins if you have a cabin with a connecting door(one that can open) you WILL get smoke coming in your cabin. Ask the stateroom attendant to seal the connecting door on both sides. Sometimes this will help however, if you have a next door cabin with heavy smokers this may not help.These comments are from experience.

In response to kirisong1, the smoke smell certainly has stayed in many cabins we have been in. Often you can tell the brand of cigarettes smoked by the previous occupants. Several cruises we have had to prop open the verandah doors (contrary to cruise line request) and freeze (contrary to my fondest desire when going on a tropical cruise) for the first few days out of port to get the smell out of the cabin. It also does go out around the doors into the halls in every ship I have been on. Walking down the hallway, you can count the in-cabin smokers on a given deck, should you choose to do this instead of lounge outside with a good book or eat or take bridge lessons, or..., or...

Printed from Amadeus Cruise on 20 Jan 2008 19:09 Local time

Product Info Display

Cruise Line : CELEBRITY CRUISES

Product Information Item : Smoking policy

SMOKING IS PERMITTED ON THE PORT-SIDE OF MOST PUBLIC LOUNGES

AND DECK AREAS.

PIPE AND CIGAR SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED IN THE PUBLIC LOUNGES,

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MICHAEL S CLUB.

SMOKING IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE GRAND RESTAURANT AND THE

CELEBRITY THEATRE.

SMOKING ALLOWED IN SUITES/STATEROOMS.

THERE ARE NO NON-SMOKING STATEROOMS.

--------------- End of display ---------------

© 1999-2006 Amadeus s.a.s

must be a misprint in the doc's i just received that say starboard side is smoking:confused:

Archived