Excursions- western caribbean

FatMan858

First time cruiser and just found this site tonight. Tons of great information here and I'm going into mental overload. Four adults are cruising the western caribbean starting 10-16 on the Navigator. We haven't booked excursions yet. I was going to book the cruise line excursions, but have read many saying to book on our own. Here are my thoughts from my brief scanning of these forums. Please give any recommendations as I will be booking the excursions this week. FYI. we range in age from 37 -41

Labadee - Beach mats; wife wants to parasail

Ocho Rios - Pete Taylor tour to Dunns river rafting; etc... or cruiseline party boat to Dunns

Caymen - Sting ray/ reef snorkel with Native tours... Town afterwords?

Cozumel - Taxi to chankanaab park and paradise beach or cruise line Dune-buggy and snorkel tour

Am I on the right path. I'd like to have time after the tours to hit the local bars and/or restaurants where we can have a few cocktails...

Thanks, Fatman

In Ocho Rios--go with the Peat Taylor group. Cruise lines will take you all enmasse. With Peats group it wont be as crowded. He will also see to it that your experice at the falls is not crowded either. (I thought he takes you on the tour of Fern Gully?) This is not a tour of river raftin--but you will be climbing water falls. Make sure you all have water shoes.

Cayman Taking a private excursion using nativeway or capt marvins or sots is your best choice. Again the cruie lines arrive enmasse with up to 75-100 people.. Not sayin ghow much it costs either. Most of the private vendors offer town tours after that can run about 28 bucks a person. (I dont know if you will be going to Caymans since it was hit by the hurricane. Its a big possibilty that it wont be cleaned up when you go.

Cozumel: check out http://www.cozumelinsider.com for avery good map of the beaches and what each beach offers, Click on activities to find the beach map. I prefer Paradise beach over Chanknabb park.

Labadee. Private island- you will not be able to do private tours here. Its all run by Royal. But tell your wife if she wants to parasail on Labadee to book this excursion first. When we sailed it was sold out a few months ahead of time.

Can only help with Cozumel. I absolutely LOVE Chankanaab! The chairs, though they don't appear comfortable at first, are! They are free and set under cute little tropical looking shade things (sorry, can't think of the word I'm looking for). Of course, there is plenty of space to lay in these same chairs in the sun if you want to work on the tan! The snorkeling is amazing! We were just there a week ago and it was gorgeous! It is quite close to the pier, only about five minutes in the cab and costs $10 for the taxi ride (and that is for 1-4 people). You can rent your snorkel equiptment for only $8 right at the edge of the water. There are fresh showers there, which you will want after snorkeling in salty water, as well as, two restaurants that we thought served great food!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't plan on your ship being able to make a port call in Grand Cayman anytime in the near future. We sail in 2 weeks and I know we won't be going there. There is a travel advisory up for the Caymans and Grenada by the US right now. We use Capt. Marvin whenever we are int he Caymans, but I've heard good things about Nativeway too.

Ocho Rios - I'd go with Peat Taylor. Or I'd stay on the ship. Dunn's River Falls is fun to see and climb, but once you've done that...

Cozumel is always a shopping/Carlos and Charlies day for us. (or Fat Tuesday) But the water there is beyond belief. I think you get a better appreciation for the water on an actual snorkel trip than going to the beach, because the water is so much clearer and they can take you to some awesome coral formations and great fish. We usually book those thru the ship, since I have a phobia about the catamaran breaking down and me missing the ship!

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

TinaLee

Archived