PVP won't give me air prices

cruisinjerseygirl

When I booked my last cruise with my PVP I booked air with her b/c it was too expensive otherwise...she knows that it was a nightmare for us and she said that everyone has a problem with it and she feels that no one should get cruiseair unless really necessary...So when she gave me pricing I asked her what it would be with air because we were doing a last minute deal and wanted to spend as little as possible and not have to shell out a ton all at once. So she looked online for me while I was on the phone and told me that airtran had a great deal...problem was that airtran had a crappy return flight that would take us 8 hours when normally it would take us 2 and a half. So I told her I would keep searching. After searching for over a week I got worried and decided to book it myself with Continental bc we like them and I didn't want to lose out on the flight as it was filling up and it's getting close. I paid a lot more than I would have liked to for it but the times are good...so just now I was checking to see if there was a drop in price on our cruise and when I did I accidentally hit include air...it gave me the prices and when I added it up it's about $400 cheaper then what I spent myself online. To be quite honest for that kind of a deal I would have much rathered done it that way and dealt with the garbage if it happened...now it's too late b/c my tickets are non refundable! I don't understand why she wouldn't even just give me the pricing with air? Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore her! I think she is a wonderful PVP and has a lot of info and knows exactly what I like but this really pissed me off!

Sorry, but I don't understand how you can be angry with the PVP, imho you did this to yourself.

So I told her I would keep searching.
Did you even ask her what the price was before you told her no? I mean she did look it up for you as you asked , and in your post you said problem was airtran had a crappy return flight
So she looked online for me while I was on the phone and told me that airtran had a great deal...problem was that airtran had a crappy return flight that would take us 8 hours when normally it would take us 2 and a half.

Ok, so she looked it up like you asked, and you said you would keep searching, so how is it she wouldn't/won't give you air? She looked it up, you told her you would keep searching, why should or would she push the sale if you had said no you would keep searching? I'm sure if you would have said, I don't like the return times, but book it anyway, she would have done it. I'm sure had you of asked what are the prices so I can do some comparisons, she would have given them to you.

Sorry you're pissed off, but you should be angry with yourself, not the PVP, just my .02cents worth.

Maybe the way I posted it was confusing. She didn't give me ccl cruise air, she did an online search like you or I would do.she found airtran for me and told me what site to buy it from I asked what ccl would be and she just kept telling me to get airtran from that site. So no I am not to blame as I asked her many times and she refused to give it to me.

From what Ive heard..................

You would not like the cruiseair option for sure. No telling how many connections you would have to make to get there. Talk about crappy times. As I understand the better flight options go to the early bookers and not the last minute ones.:mad:

Im with above poster, You need to get over this and put on your big girl panties and get over it. You got a good flight schedule(which you stated was important to you) and paid a fair price for it(surely since you shopped for a week).;)

I hope you enjoy your cruise!:D

Maybe the way I posted it was confusing. She didn't give me ccl cruise air, she did an online search like you or I would do.she found airtran for me and told me what site to buy it from I asked what ccl would be and she just kept telling me to get airtran from that site. So no I am not to blame as I asked her many times and she refused to give it to me.

next time do what you did later and check the website!

If you want to check the price of the air with the cruise, go to the Carnival website (logged out of your name) and pretend like you're booking the same cruise. Click the option to include airfare and select the departure city of your choice. When the cabin category screen comes up, you'll see two prices, one with air included and one without. Subtract the numbers and voila! You have Carnival's going air rate. HTH :)

When I booked my last cruise with my PVP I booked air with her b/c it was too expensive otherwise...she knows that it was a nightmare for us and she said that everyone has a problem with it and she feels that no one should get cruiseair unless really necessary...So when she gave me pricing I asked her what it would be with air because we were doing a last minute deal and wanted to spend as little as possible and not have to shell out a ton all at once. So she looked online for me while I was on the phone and told me that airtran had a great deal...problem was that airtran had a crappy return flight that would take us 8 hours when normally it would take us 2 and a half. So I told her I would keep searching. After searching for over a week I got worried and decided to book it myself with Continental bc we like them and I didn't want to lose out on the flight as it was filling up and it's getting close. I paid a lot more than I would have liked to for it but the times are good...so just now I was checking to see if there was a drop in price on our cruise and when I did I accidentally hit include air...it gave me the prices and when I added it up it's about $400 cheaper then what I spent myself online. To be quite honest for that kind of a deal I would have much rathered done it that way and dealt with the garbage if it happened...now it's too late b/c my tickets are non refundable! I don't understand why she wouldn't even just give me the pricing with air? Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore her! I think she is a wonderful PVP and has a lot of info and knows exactly what I like but this really pissed me off!

cruisinjerseygirl,

Perhaps your PVP remembers your last cruise air experience and decided to present you with alternatives up front instead of insulting you by offering cruise air again?

IMO, she provided excellent customer service by avoiding a painful subject. I remember your last experience with cruise air (and I didn't look at your old posts to remember), so my guess is that your PVP also remembers. ;) $400 is nothing to avoid those hassles again right? :)

cruisinjerseygirl,

Perhaps your PVP remembers your last cruise air experience and decided to present you with alternatives up front instead of insulting you by offering cruise air again?

IMO, she provided excellent customer service by avoiding a painful subject. I remember your last experience with cruise air (and I didn't look at your old posts to remember), so my guess is that your PVP also remembers. ;) $400 is nothing to avoid those hassles again right? :)

As I see this whole thing, you should have insisted on getting the cruiseline air costs, THEN made the decision to look elsewhere ! Seems kinda odd that the agent you spoke with would go look on the internet for you when they have really no reason to do that for you... in my eyes she went over and above the call of duty and you are complaining ??? Me thinks you are trying to pass the blame to avoid the mistake you made.

My opinion...PVP should have at least told you the price of cruise with air included from the cruise line...

My suggestion...If the tickets are nonrefundable, they usually will just charge you $100 or less depending on the airline as a cancellation fee and give you a credit for the rest for a future trip. If you are planning on flying again, I would cancel and take the flights that are $400 less, this will save you $200 bucks!

But if you're doing this fairly last minute, as OP stated, then you'd be locked into the cruise air if you're after final payment date!

I used cruise air for 3 of my first 5 cruises (drove to Port Canaveral for the other 2). I never had any problem. Flew the day of the cruise, in fact.

I was so naive! I hadn't discovered Cruise Critic and didn't know how stupid I was! :rolleyes:

I had decided to book my own and fly a day early for my Miracle cruise all on my own, simply because I'd read so many horror stories about overbooked flights, cancelled flights, and ridiculous delays.

Cruise air is not always a horrible idea. We had direct flights from CLT to TPA, and in Dec 2006, we stopped in Atlanta. No problems. Of course, I'm not crossing time zones and have never had multiple stops.

I don't know that anyone is at "fault" here at all! If OP didn't want to book cruise air because of a prior bad experience, why would the PVP be compelled to quote the price? And if you're going to book your own, then you pay what you have to pay, especially if you're booking close to the cruise.

As it was explained to us....the "regular" Carnival air program is handled by another department. So the PVP's and CVS's can't see the availalbe flights. The "new" air program does allow them to look at available flights and you would have some say in which flights are chosen.

Our CVS says that even though both programs are still available she prefers the "new" program because we get to choose the flights and times that work for us - just like if you were to book it on your own. And most times she says it is significantly less the flat rate that is charged under the old air plan and has more flexibility.

So, OP, in your case - especially with your past Carnival Air experience - maybe what she offered was the best options. Also are you sure that the $400.00 difference is only the air and not a reduction in the cruise itself (or maybe a combination of both) since you booked?

put on your big girl panties and get over it. !

I was laughing my head off- have not heard that quote in awhile!

If you are planning on flying again, I would cancel and take the flights that are $400 less, this will save you $200 bucks!

I agree- cancel and rebook IF that is an option.

From my understanding, I think the PVP thought you were not interested in the airfare since the connections and time frame was so bad. I maybe wrong.

Just seems like a misunderstanding between the two of you. I am sure you will work it out. Good luck!

But if you're doing this fairly last minute, as OP stated, then you'd be locked into the cruise air if you're after final payment date!

I used cruise air for 3 of my first 5 cruises (drove to Port Canaveral for the other 2). I never had any problem. Flew the day of the cruise, in fact.

I was so naive! I hadn't discovered Cruise Critic and didn't know how stupid I was! :rolleyes:

I had decided to book my own and fly a day early for my Miracle cruise all on my own, simply because I'd read so many horror stories about overbooked flights, cancelled flights, and ridiculous delays.

Cruise air is not always a horrible idea. We had direct flights from CLT to TPA, and in Dec 2006, we stopped in Atlanta. No problems. Of course, I'm not crossing time zones and have never had multiple stops.

I don't know that anyone is at "fault" here at all! If OP didn't want to book cruise air because of a prior bad experience, why would the PVP be compelled to quote the price? And if you're going to book your own, then you pay what you have to pay, especially if you're booking close to the cruise.

Sooooo true. We have used it twice - and did because it was MUCH less than what we were able to book on our own. Sure, it is a little frustrating when you have no input in to the choices and not knowing what was chosen until the docs arrived - but the savings outweighed that inconvenience for us. I do not know - but maybe the new edocs have made that better.

Yes - the flew us down the day of the cruise. But it worked fine for us - in fact once we had non-stops!!!

And not to wander too far off-topic, but what's the difference between a PVP and a CVS?

If they can now see specific flights (which I don't imagine they can if you book way in advance; I'm looking at next December and no flights are showing that far in advance), and you decide to choose, won't you still have to pay the air deviation fee, which only makes it that much more expensive than "most" individually booked flights?

And not to wander too far off-topic, but what's the difference between a PVP and a CVS?

If they can now see specific flights (which I don't imagine they can if you book way in advance; I'm looking at next December and no flights are showing that far in advance), and you decide to choose, won't you still have to pay the air deviation fee, which only makes it that much more expensive than "most" individually booked flights?

The basic difference is PVPs are expected to drum up business with "out calls".

Carnival agents now have access to online flight booking (Probably Sabre). "Fly Aweigh" flights aren't booked by the agent, they are booked by the air sea department.

The agent can book the regular flights for you but you pay market rates, same as if you went to a regular TA. Also, transfers etc, are extra.

So when dealing with a Carnival Agent you have three choices:

• No Air
  • Agent Booked air
  • Fly Aweigh programme

I must be missing something. She REFUSED to give you a quote? I don't think Carnival is interested in their PVP's deciding for you whether or not to give you information on a product or service that they're offering. They just give the details, maybe their opinion, and then let the customer decide. That's not their territory - she's not your Mum.

By the way, couldn't you just have checked the carnival (or any other) cruise search engine - and get a flight quote? :confused:

Thank you for all of your replies, to clarify I asked her about air included cruise air and she kept going off and telling me I am better off on my own...I never think to check the prices with air online just because I figure she is only a phone call away. The price of the cruise has not gone down but the price with air is cheaper than the price of the cruise with me getting air on my own. We didn't have a ton to spend this time hence the reason for a shorter cruise and we just wanted to go as cheap as possible when it came to air because we figure that we just want the great cruise for the 4 days. I have now learned the lesson to look online and then just insist that she give me the price..I understand that we did have a horrible experience with air last time but I am always willing to give things a second chance.

I disagree. A travel agent (and that's what a PVP is) should treat clients like they're adults. If a client asks how much is this or that he/she deserves an answer. It's not the TA's duty to avoid painful subjects. In my opinion she provided lousy customer service.

Thank you for all of your replies, to clarify I asked her about air included cruise air and she kept going off and telling me I am better off on my own...I never think to check the prices with air online just because I figure she is only a phone call away. The price of the cruise has not gone down but the price with air is cheaper than the price of the cruise with me getting air on my own. We didn't have a ton to spend this time hence the reason for a shorter cruise and we just wanted to go as cheap as possible when it came to air because we figure that we just want the great cruise for the 4 days. I have now learned the lesson to look online and then just insist that she give me the price..I understand that we did have a horrible experience with air last time but I am always willing to give things a second chance.

Did you try to just call the regular 800# and ask to add the air to your account? Although you can not get a refund you could then cancel your other tickets - and use the voucher for future travel.

At this point I don't think I will be changing it I would rather not lose anymore than I have already lost. Our next cruise after this one is in November and we have to fly to CA which will cost us a pretty penny so I might as well suck it up and have learned my lesson. I will definitely look at the cruise air prices for that though because it is expensive for NJ to CA maybe I will get lucky with that one though.

I disagree. A travel agent (and that's what a PVP is) should treat clients like they're adults. If a client asks how much is this or that he/she deserves an answer. It's not the TA's duty to avoid painful subjects. In my opinion she provided lousy customer service.

Cruiseco,

The 'personal' in PVP means they learn your particular desires and work to fulfill them. I'd hate it if my PVP offered all options instead of the ones that really interest me. In my case, I contact my PVP after I know what, when, and how I want something. She doesn't fool around with random recommendations and that's what I like. If I wanted somebody to tell me what they think I should do or have, I'd go with a TA instead of a Personal Vacation Planner.

I do agree that answers should be provided to specific questions and the answer provided by the PVP in question was, most likely, the best answer available at that particular time. Air fare tends to change hour to hour some times and same day travel very rarely leads to a relaxing cruise experience.

I do agree that answers should be provided to specific questions and the answer provided by the PVP in question was, most likely, the best answer available at that particular time.

No. The best answer to the client's specific request for CCL's air rate would have been: "It's $XXX per person. By the way, if you would like to choose specific flights and/or fly in a day early -- as I remember you prefer -- it will be $XXX plus a deviation fee of $YY. To compare, independently booked flights will run approximately $ZZZ."

How tough would that have been? If the PVP would have taken those extra 30 seconds would the OP have started a thread titled "PVP won't give me air prices"?

No. The best answer to the client's specific request for CCL's air rate would have been: "It's $XXX per person. By the way, if you would like to choose specific flights and/or fly in a day early -- as I remember you prefer -- it will be $XXX plus a deviation fee of $YY. To compare, independently booked flights will run approximately $ZZZ."

How tough would that have been? If the PVP would have taken those extra 30 seconds would the OP have started a thread titled "PVP won't give me air prices"?

cruiseco,

Personal vs 'Everything.' I'll go with personal. :)

At this point I don't think I will be changing it I would rather not lose anymore than I have already lost. Our next cruise after this one is in November and we have to fly to CA which will cost us a pretty penny so I might as well suck it up and have learned my lesson. I will definitely look at the cruise air prices for that though because it is expensive for NJ to CA maybe I will get lucky with that one though.

Right now Delta is showing $286p/p + for rt JFK/SD, Continental $323p/p + for Newark/SD. Both are NS for day before and after your cruise. Pretty good price but should be less closer to time you leave. Best of luck.

Well Im sure our PVP has notes on us in her computer file. She remembers too many things not too.

Im equally sure the OP's PVP has the same and was thinking some thing along the line of........."I dont want to deal with this air fare fiasco with her again" OR "To give her the best experience, I best suggest she book her air. That way she will get the times and prices she wants and I will not have to listen to her in a time of aggravation to her".

That is personal service. I agree with Paul, Thats what I like about our PVP. She give me personal service and dont bother giving rates on CA cruises when I want to go to E Carib. for example.

JMO

Archived