Boarding Tutorial, Please

vcdarty

So the Maitre D' isn't available for consultation as part of the checkin process? That's how it's been on previous cruises I've been on. Our boarding documents actually do indicate our Table for 2 request, so I wonder if this might be on the card we receive at checkin after all?
Nope, the Maitre d' (or Assistant) won't be in the terminal! And, as Dave said, you won't be able to tell the size of the table until you see it. Aside: HAL ships no longer have Maitre d's ... they're called the Dining Room Manager and Pinnacle Grill Manager. :)

Nope, the Maitre d' (or Assistant) won't be in the terminal! And, as Dave said, you won't be able to tell the size of the table until you see it. Aside: HAL ships no longer have Maitre d's ... they're called the Dining Room Manager and Pinnacle Grill Manager. :)

John, I actually meant onboard. :p In the past, I've always been instructed that "first thing you do onboard is check your dining seating!" But thanks for the terminology correction--I wasn't sure, which is why I didn't say "Maitre D'" in my original post (I also couldn't spell it ;) ).

John, I actually meant onboard. :p
All of HAL's check-in is done before you cross the gangway. After that it's check-out (the ship).;)

For those of us in open seating, at what point do we make dinner reservations for the first night? Or is it strictly walk-up for the first night?
I'd say the first night is free-for-all. :cool:

Aside: HAL ships no longer have Maitre d's ... they're called the Dining Room Manager and Pinnacle Grill Manager. :)

Then can call them Top Banana and 2nd Banana if they want, it's still the Maitre d' and the Asst. ;)

...the majority of the passengers will have already been on the ship as this cruise originated in Ft Lauderdale on April 27th.

So there won't be as many passengers checking in at LA as there would be in Ft Lauderdale. There is not reason why you can't be on the ship by 11:30. ...

So, is it the consensus of you experienced HALers that the 2:00 pm boarding time on our "ticket" can be ignored and showing up at the dock noon-ish will likely result in little if any standing around time? Personally, I'd be there at 11 am myself but one in our party has the beginnings of arthritis in her hip and I have been told there are no chairs or seating at the San Pedro facility.

The primary reason to be as early as practical is to purchase Thermal Suite Passes and/or Spa appointments but if the ship is already populated with passengers then perhaps being early to "beat the rush" is an exercise in futility.

... but if the ship is already populated with passengers then perhaps being early to "beat the rush" is an exercise in futility.
I would bet that the majority of the people that have come through Panama will be staying on to Vancouver or Seattle. We, however, will be getting off at L.A. :)

Archived