Boarding Tutorial, Please

vcdarty

Newbie-nervous couple here, sailing on Veendam from Tampa next month. Travel docs just arrived with driving instructions (we're driving down from GA) to Terminal 3. Then what? Would an old hand take pity and describe, point by point, what exactly happens next? Like, first, do I pause to drop off DW and baggage with porter. Then? and then? and finally reach stateroom (206)?

How does it all happen? Many thanks for instructions and tips. (Speaking of which: how much to whom?)

And apologies if this is a well-worn thread.:o

First of all, welcome to HAL! I know you'll love HAL and the Veendam like we do!

The procedure is pretty much like checking in for a plane, except with much less security hassle!

If you have an amount of luggage you can handle yourself, you can park in the garage first and then walk over to the terminal, or you can swing by and drop off your bags first and then go park. Either way, turn your bags over to a porter and give him about $2 per bag.

Once inside you join one of three lines: one is for suite passengers (just S on the Veendam, not your BA), a second is for those who have filled out their On-Line Check-In forms, and the 3rd is for those who have filled out the paper form in your doc package. At the desk your picture will be taken, your forms will be taken, and you will be given your room key-cards and some info ... like your dining room table and time assignment. You key-card will be scanned as you get on the ship, so don't put it away too deeply.

Depending on what time you arrive, you may either go directly on-board or have to wait a while for that to start. If you board before 1:30p, the cabins will not be ready, and you will be directed to the Lido for some lunch. If the rooms are not ready by the time you are done with lunch, you may walk around the public decks of the ship but not down the halls where the cabins are.

When the rooms are announced ready ... go check it out! Do you need more info?

Have a great cruise!!

Does the OP know where the garage is and the cost? Are there less costly alternatives?
The garage location and price are included with the docs IIRC from the one time we sailed on the Veendam. I know about one cheaper off-site parking lot, but I've never used it and can't say if it's good or bad. Besides, I generally don't like parking anyplace where I have to take a shuttle bus. When I get off, I want to walk to my car and GO! :)

But - OP - if you're looking for any more info, just ask! :)

You asked about tips to porters ... we usually tip a coupla bucks per bag, or at least the big and heavy ones. No one else at check-in needs to be tipped, that I can think of.

Another suggestion: You must be planning at least one overnight precruise ... search around for a nearby hotel that offers longterm parking, then take a taxi to the pier. I've done this at airports, back when I still flew ... works very well, and you don't have to worry about your car.

I recall Tampa parking to be roughly $10/day, right across from the ship. I do recommend you drop your bags off first. There will be a porter RIGHT there to take all but your carry-on bags. You can then go park and catch up with your husband to get on the lines peviously described. You will pass through a security checkpoint. Your carry ons will be scanned and you go through a metal detector. This moves much faster then an airport check point. Get used to it, because every time you reboard the ship in every port the process is repeated. HAL will give you a safe and very happy cruise experience. Congratulations for choosing the best line for your first cruise (IMHO). You will be spoiled and never be content with any other line...I think.

You will be given a boarding number when you check in, You are boarded in groups starting with suite guests. A new group goes aboard every few minutes. A photographer will be waiting to take your photo (available for purchase later in the day). If you don't want your picture taken, a polite no thank you works usually, sometimes a more stern approach is required. Actually it is this photo op that slows down boarding. I usually skip the line and go aboard, once people see it can be done I get a whole bunch of people following me.

I think that covers boarding. As stated earlier, you will probably go to the Lido for lunch as your cabin won't be ready until 1:30 or so. After you dine, explore the ship a bit. Hopefully your carry on isn't too heavy. I believe HAL does offer a storage place for carry-on's. But I never use it. I will not let my valuables out of my sight.

Have a really great time.

I would like to add that after you are in your room and the bags come (3-4 o'clock) please get prepared for the life boat drill. There are announcements constantly about this along with directions on the door of your room. If the drill is at 4:15, have your vest on and be ready to go when the alert rings. If you have trouble with the vest, someone at the lifeboat will help you. You could head up (or down) ahead of time as the stairs get quite crowded. Sometimes the drill gets annoying because passengers straggle in (or don't show up). HAL takes this more seriously than other ships I have been on and if you don't show up, you will hear from them. Just follow the rules and you will be back in your room in no time.:D

The parking terminal for the Tampa port is about 1 block from the terminal.

When you enter the parking garage, you will be asked what cruise ship you are on. You will be given a placard with the cruise ship's name and be directed to park in a certain location with all the other cars from your sailing.

Be prepared to pay as you enter the garage.

Even though the ship may sail at 4 or 5 p.m., arrive earlier (we usually get there around 11 or so) and use that time to relax, enjoy your lunch on board, whatever. One of my favorite pastimes is people-watching and watching them load the ship. Even though we haven't left the dock, my vacation begins the minute I step on the ship!

• 2 months later...

First timers on HAL (party of 6, three S suites, 5/11 repo LA-Vancouver ms Amsterdam). This seemed like a good thread for adding a few more boarding questions:

(1) Which line comes first: (Suite) Check-in or TSA Security?

(2) Is there (usually) a separate TSA line for each check-in line (Suite/Signature Preferred Onliners/Non-onliners) or like the airport/grocery store where you pick a line you hope moves quickly?

(3) Is there a ID card photo taken (ala Drivers License) or are references in HAL documents to "photo taken" about the optional Boarding Photo available for purchase later?

(4) HAL website mentions 11:30 am start for San Pedro embarkation but printed "ticket" states 2:00 pm. Two calls to HAL Ship Services got different answers from the CSR's (one said actual boarding of ship would not start until 2:00 [a bit late for lunch] and another said 2:00 was when access to cabins would happen). San Pedro and repo type of cruise seemed to confuse CSRs somewhat.

(5) Immediately upon boarding, wise to book spa appointments, purchase Thermal Suite Day Pass, etc ASAP and do only in person at spa desk or get same results by asking Neptune Lounge concierge to handle?

As everyone desires, looking for the whole process to be as smooth and simple as possible - so knowing what to expect & when helps alot. e.g. why show up at 11:30 at dock if must stand around to board until 2:00? Or, like open seating on Southwest Airlines, is being at the front of the line necessary to get first crack at certain seats/extra's?

Any guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

You have a photo taken at check in and that photo attaches to your name/ID in the ship's computers. When you board and disembark, they scan your card and your photo appears on the screen.....added security you are not boarding with a stolen card.

Usually, security is after check in but it can vary. I've seen it before. There is normally one line. There is no special line for suite guests for security scanning such as is done at airports.

There is a separate Suite check in line at the HAL counter.

There will be a photographer to take your picture as you go to the gangway. They will post those photos in the photo gallery aboard the ship. Go look at it. If you like it, you may purchase it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

(4) I don't know about San Pedro specifically, but so far every time we've sailed boarding begins around 11:00a to 11:15a ... except once when there was a big delay in disembarking the previous group. Rooms are not generally ready until 1:30p. For a 5:00p sailing, the muster drill will be at 4:15p, so I find it hard to believe that boarding wouldn't start until 2:00p!! :eek:

First timers on HAL (party of 6, three S suites, 5/11 repo LA-Vancouver ms Amsterdam). This seemed like a good thread for adding a few more boarding questions:

(2) Is there (usually) a separate TSA line for each check-in line (Suite/Signature Preferred Onliners/Non-onliners) or like the airport/grocery store where you pick a line you hope moves quickly?

(3) Is there a ID card photo taken (ala Drivers License) or are references in HAL documents to "photo taken" about the optional Boarding Photo available for purchase later?

(4) HAL website mentions 11:30 am start for San Pedro embarkation but printed "ticket" states 2:00 pm. Two calls to HAL Ship Services got different answers from the CSR's (one said actual boarding of ship would not start until 2:00 [a bit late for lunch] and another said 2:00 was when access to cabins would happen). San Pedro and repo type of cruise seemed to confuse CSRs somewhat.

(5) Immediately upon boarding, wise to book spa appointments, purchase Thermal Suite Day Pass, etc ASAP and do only in person at spa desk or get same results by asking Neptune Lounge concierge to handle?

As everyone desires, looking for the whole process to be as smooth and simple as possible - so knowing what to expect & when helps alot. e.g. why show up at 11:30 at dock if must stand around to board until 2:00? Or, like open seating on Southwest Airlines, is being at the front of the line necessary to get first crack at certain seats/extra's?

Any guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The cruise you are did not originally start in LA -- the majority of the passengers will have already been on the ship as this cruise originated in Ft Lauderdale on April 27th.

So there won't be as many passengers checking in at LA as there would be in Ft Lauderdale. There is not reason why you can't be on the ship by 11:30. However when you check in at the Neptune Lounge, the concierge will probably tell you that your suites will not be ready for awhile as the cabins have to be thoroughly cleaned and everything changed.

The concierge can book your spa reservations.

Remember that you can have breakfast in the King's Room.

Thanks for the great info, everyone!

Did not know we were boarding in "mid-cruise" but found the itinerary beginning 4/27 from FtL. Guess no way to know how many passengers are leaving and how many are starting their HAL experience with us. Will likely have to repeat the Muster Drill for everyone and not just the new arrivals?

(2) Is there (usually) a separate TSA line for each check-in line (Suite/Signature Preferred Onliners/Non-onliners) or like the airport/grocery store where you pick a line you hope moves quickly?............

Hey Bob, just a heads up! There is no TSA personnel posted at the ports - at least not yet. You'll only find them at the airports. The security you see manning (or womanning) metal detectors and x-ray machines inside the cruise terminals (in the U.S. - abroad is most definitely different!) are private security hired by the ports and/or cruise lines.

With that in mind and unlike the airport check-in procedure (unless using TSA locks), you can still lock your luggage when you drop same off with a porter outside and unlock same when they arrive in your cabin. The luggage is screened after you leave it and, if there are questions, you will be paged to come down and open your bags for physical inspection while you are present

Thanks, Copper10-8! Excellent tip regarding locking luggage. Oddly enough, I worked for TSA a few years ago at the Long Beach Airport when TSA was first starting and remember talk about expanding to cruise lines next so guessed they had done so by now. So, the rules (e.g. no liquids > 3 oz.) are rather different and I would think everyone "checked" bags so unlikely will have lots of passengers with multiple packed-to-the-gills carry-on's as you see at the airport.

It's been years since my last cruise (RSVP), and was with friends then instead of family as this trip, and I don't recall many details about boarding other than long lines. And, of course, things change and this is a totally different cruise line.

So, the rules (e.g. no liquids > 3 oz.) are rather different and I would think everyone "checked" bags so unlikely will have lots of passengers with multiple packed-to-the-gills carry-on's as you see at the airport.

Oh you'll see strange things in the security line. Like a passenger tugging a few cases of wine, or water, or soda... :)

But those are a dream to X-ray. Unless they pack some spare batteries and an alarm clock and iPod ear bud wires along with the bottles/cans/boxes of wine. Then there are likely to be some inspections.

Oh you'll see strange things in the security line. Like a passenger tugging a few cases of wine, or water, or soda... :)

And the ever popular rollaboard beer cooler with lawn chair attached, of course! :rolleyes:

Question: at what point during the check-in process will we have the opportunity to touch base with the dining room manager to see if our request for a Table for 2 has been granted? Thanks!

Question: at what point during the check-in process will we have the opportunity to touch base with the dining room manager to see if our request for a Table for 2 has been granted? Thanks!

At check-in you'll get a card with your dining time and table # on it, but (unless you're carrying a "map" of the dining room with you) you won't know the table size until you see it. The more paranoid among us (who? me?) go to the DR after dropping stuff in the cabin just to see what the table looks like.

Note that even though a table may be set for 4, it could still be only used as a 2 during your dining time. Anything bigger than that, see the maitre d' right away...

At the check-in desk you will get a small card telling you what your table assignment is - or, on some ships it's marked right on your room key-card. When you get on board you can go into the dining room and find your table, to see the size. If it isn't the 2, you can ask when and where the Assistant Maitre d' will be taking requests for changes that afternoon. (I've never had to do it myself, so I don't know where it's normally done.) See you on the the 28th if not sooner, B!

edit: Dave - I was typing before yours posted, I guess. :) Do you or anybody have a dining room map for the R-class ships that you can send me? I have them for the S-class and V-class only.

At check-in you'll get a card with your dining time and table # on it, but (unless you're carrying a "map" of the dining room with you) you won't know the table size until you see it. The more paranoid among us (who? me?) go to the DR after dropping stuff in the cabin just to see what the table looks like.

Note that even though a table may be set for 4, it could still be only used as a 2 during your dining time. Anything bigger than that, see the maitre d' right away...

So the Maitre D' isn't available for consultation as part of the checkin process? That's how it's been on previous cruises I've been on. Our boarding documents actually do indicate our Table for 2 request, so I wonder if this might be on the card we receive at checkin after all?

Archived