Mistake by TA! What to do???

Nan-L

I will call Princess tomorrow and try again.

If that doesn't work - speak with a travel agent who does a lot of bookings with Princess. If they say they will do it for you, transfer your booking to them and they can take care of it for you. You may also save some money on your sailing by transferring it to an agent who discounts.

If that doesn't work - speak with a travel agent who does a lot of bookings with Princess. If they say they will do it for you, transfer your booking to them and they can take care of it for you. You may also save some money on your sailing by transferring it to an agent who discounts.

You can't transfer the booking if final payment has already been made.

DaveCo, and Pam ... I don't know whether the two of you are connected with the travel agency industry or not but I obviously agitated a sensitivity with the two of you. I certainly didn't mean to do that. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. But I hate to say that neither of your responses were convincing enough to make me think any differently about it. But travel comes down to this: Did you have a good time...or not?

Whether you use a TA or not is a personal choice. I'm just saying that for most travelers, if you sit down and take the time to do some research on line, shop around, educate yourself, and come up with destinations and prices you're happy with - you've basically elliminated the need for having a 3rd party involved in the project.

But if you don't have the time to do your own research and click the "purchase fare" buttons yourself then leaving it in someone else's hands (who might also have their attention divided among 25 other travelers) might be right for you.

I'm no Judge Judy!

DaveCo, and Pam ... I don't know whether the two of you are connected with the travel agency industry or not but I obviously agitated a sensitivity with the two of you. I certainly didn't mean to do that. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. But I hate to say that neither of your responses were convincing enough to make me think any differently about it. But travel comes down to this: Did you have a good time...or not?

Whether you use a TA or not is a personal choice. I'm just saying that for most travelers, if you sit down and take the time to do some research on line, shop around, educate yourself, and come up with destinations and prices you're happy with - you've basically elliminated the need for having a 3rd party involved in the project.

But if you don't have the time to do your own research and click the "purchase fare" buttons yourself then leaving it in someone else's hands (who might also have their attention divided among 25 other travelers) might be right for you.

I'm no Judge Judy!

I agree with you that using a TA is a personal choice. Before I became a TA, I did it myself, just like you. And I don't have a problem with people doing their own travel arrangements. Some people really enjoy it, and there is no NEED to have a 3rd party. I was simply pointing out that there are some advantages to using a TA. I know, now, that I overpaid a few times back when I was a do-it-yourselfer (I also built my own house, and did not save the money I thought I would. LOL).

If you like being your own TA - Go for it and have a good time. You are right that as long as you think it's deal, it's a deal.

What I was objecting to was your stated reasons, because I think you are incorrect in asserting that TA's are disinterested, and you are demonstrably incorrect in asserting that a TA can't get you more than you can get yourself.

And while I may have my attention divided among 50 clients - it is 10-12 hours attention daily. So, TA's sometimes spend as much time working on each client's trip as the client spends thinking about it. And all they have to think about is how much fun they are going to have, because the TA handles everything else.

Peace - and enjoy your travels, wherever they take you.

DetroitMark,

I half agree with you, as I assume your post is being misunderstood. If using a TA means going to the same TA you have always used and taking whatever price he/she can get, yes, I would agree one can do it more economically with one's own research.

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe your phrase "not using a TA" really means that. After all, how else can one book, except through the cruise company (and sometimes you cannot even do that) or an online booking machine, and that route is unlikely to be the least expensive.

I always do my own research, but in the end nearly always use a TA. However, it is not the same TA each time. I search the Internet for whatever deals (through various and sundry travel agencies) I can find, then use a "meta-agency" like ************* to get offers sent to me, narrow it down to the best couple of deals, then do an Internet search for the company making the offer, to check on its reputation. Of course, I do have Internet agencies I have used a number of times, and sometimes they will match the best offer I come up with, sometimes they can't. I never recall the best offer being one of the machines like Travelocity/Expedia/Orbitz or their competitors (unlike for airline tickets, where they do frequently have top deals), so it is almost always a travel agency. I assume that is what you meant by doing it oneself, and I do think this method leads to the best deal. However, you have to like the hunt for the best deal -- I believe most people would dislike it intensely. If not, just find a reliable agency and pay a few bucks more.

Bill

DetroitMark,

I half agree with you, as I assume your post is being misunderstood. If using a TA means going to the same TA you have always used and taking whatever price he/she can get, yes, I would agree one can do it more economically with one's own research.

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe your phrase "not using a TA" really means that. After all, how else can one book, except through the cruise company (and sometimes you cannot even do that) or an online booking machine, and that route is unlikely to be the least expensive.

I always do my own research, but in the end nearly always use a TA. However, it is not the same TA each time. I search the Internet for whatever deals (through various and sundry travel agencies) I can find, then use a "meta-agency" like ************* to get offers sent to me, narrow it down to the best couple of deals, then do an Internet search for the company making the offer, to check on its reputation. Of course, I do have Internet agencies I have used a number of times, and sometimes they will match the best offer I come up with, sometimes they can't. I never recall the best offer being one of the machines like Travelocity/Expedia/Orbitz or their competitors (unlike for airline tickets, where they do frequently have top deals), so it is almost always a travel agency. I assume that is what you meant by doing it oneself, and I do think this method leads to the best deal. However, you have to like the hunt for the best deal -- I believe most people would dislike it intensely. If not, just find a reliable agency and pay a few bucks more.

Bill

Now, see, that's the kind of thing that I was responding to. You won't pay more to use a TA. <--------(that's a period on the end of that sentence).

You will often pay less, and get more. You don't pay a TA's commission. The provider does. And if you don't use a TA, they just suck that money up to pay their in-house rez agents, they don't give it to the customer.

The reason the abovementioned sites are usually cheaper for (domestic)air, is that airlines have quit paying commissions to agents. The websites are willing to sell domestic air tickets for a 5 dollar fee. An agency just can't - except for repeat customers we want to keep for their other business, and then I can beat them all day long.

And, yes, if you use a TA, and don't get the best price, find a different TA, but when you do, you should try them again, next time. You might be surprised at what they can do for repeat business. Even for a domestic airline ticket.

When I checked the price for a Galapagos cruise for next January, the difference between the price of the reservation I eventually made and the prices of several TAs (including my local agency) amounted to more than $1000. So, yes, you certainly can pay more at a TA. (and definitely period at end of sentence)

On the other hand, one of the online TAs I have used before did lower its price by nearly $800 when I indicated the best price I had found, close enough for me to make the reservation. My local agency could not lower its price. So shopping around on one's own can make a difference. In the end, of course, one is almost certainly going to end up buying through an agency.

Bill

When I checked the price for a Galapagos cruise for next January, the difference between the price of the reservation I eventually made and the prices of several TAs (including my local agency) amounted to more than $1000. So, yes, you certainly can pay more at a TA. (and definitely period at end of sentence)

On the other hand, one of the online TAs I have used before did lower its price by nearly $800 when I indicated the best price I had found, close enough for me to make the reservation. My local agency could not lower its price. So shopping around on one's own can make a difference. In the end, of course, one is almost certainly going to end up buying through an agency.

Bill

We have never had to pay even close to the Princess rates for cruises when using a travel agent. We always find a good discount TA. It is not worth it to me to be 'in charge' of my booking when that could mean spending anywhere from $200 to over $1000 dollars more for the same cruise, depending on the cruise we decide on of coarse. Since Princess still allows discounting, booking direct would be out of the question for us with that kind of savings. Plus, normally, we are given a substantial SBC for booking with a TA that can be added to our FCC credit.

Here is the update, called Princess this morning and was told I could do this but my TA had to do it, called my TA she called Princess and I have now a $ 300.00 OBC, for a 32 day cruise. Apparently it can be applied before final payment. hope this clears up a lot.

Here is the update, called Princess this morning and was told I could do this but my TA had to do it, called my TA she called Princess and I have now a $ 300.00 OBC, for a 32 day cruise. Apparently it can be applied before final payment. hope this clears up a lot.

Congrats! Not bad :)

See? All it takes is someone at the agency to make a call. Glad it worked out for you.:)

sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I've been out of town. I'm going to try one more time and contact the manager of the company and see if I can get at least the SBC I think that would be fare!!!

Will post when I get an answer.

Thanks for all the advice..and I will always use a TA when booking a cruise! They are ALWAYS cheaper. One mistake will not ghange my use in them but I will sure check everything before I make final Payment.

I cruise 2 times a year and every other year I give a cruise for Christmas to the kids and grand! So they willl be loosing buss. with me.

N

I understand the frustration with booking with a t/a. We have always booked by ourselves thru the cruise line and have had very good luck. The past two cruises I booked thru triple A. I have had so much trouble with this agent calling me back applying cruise credits etc. We did get a good discount and 200.00 obc thru them. I think it is just her that I am having trouble with. I will try with a t/a again thru triple A. I will just try a different branch this time. good luck

I understand the frustration with booking with a t/a. We have always booked by ourselves thru the cruise line and have had very good luck. The past two cruises I booked thru triple A. I have had so much trouble with this agent calling me back applying cruise credits etc. We did get a good discount and 200.00 obc thru them. I think it is just her that I am having trouble with. I will try with a t/a again thru triple A. I will just try a different branch this time. good luck

Maybe next time you'll get lucky and have a TA who's actually seen a cruise ship!!:rolleyes:

Archived