Seabourn "Specials"

cruiseyguy

When you see comments on this site about sold out--a lot of times it should be-- sold out Deck 4 Suites--they go real fast to single passengers. A lot of the cruises mentioned in the 40% off and 2 for 1 Business are still listed as Club Specials at 50% off. I know AMX Platinum is promoting there buy 1 full fare First Class or Business ticket and get one free. This is a good deal, but a good Air Travel expert can usually beat it! The TA we use beats the 2 for 1 every time! I would doubt that for a past passenger-- the 40% off and 2 for one air would be no better that the Club Special Program! Don

I got an Amex Platinum card last year just so I could take advantage of the 2 for 1 biz tickets.

The price they quoted me for 2 biz class tickets on Lufthansa was $2K more than I could buy them on the Lufthansa website.

The card looks impressive in my wallet though.

I got an Amex Platinum card last year just so I could take advantage of the 2 for 1 biz tickets.

The price they quoted me for 2 biz class tickets on Lufthansa was $2K more than I could buy them on the Lufthansa website.

The card looks impressive in my wallet though.

Yes,a fool and his money are easily parted. ;)

Speaking of card benefits (and the the travel agency - which is not permitted), the hotel pricing is pretty much the same. I have found that the "free" upgrade is almost always more expensive than just booking the better accommodation directly. That way you have the "upgrade" confirmed and you save money.

One benefit of the platinum card more than makes up for its cost if you cruise more than once a year. That is the $300 shipboard credit plus wine or Dom Perignon on Silversea. I reap more than double the card cost that way alone. and there are certain instances where the 241 airfares do come in handy, though I agree, not often. Other benefits include club access on many airlines, even when traveling coach. Now that American Airlines is included it is even more valuable. I just returned from NY using the Admirals Club in both directions. Having the card is an individual preference. Personally, I wouldn't be without it.

One benefit of the platinum card more than makes up for its cost if you cruise more than once a year. That is the $300 shipboard credit plus wine or Dom Perignon on Silversea. I reap more than double the card cost that way alone. and there are certain instances where the 241 airfares do come in handy, though I agree, not often. Other benefits include club access on many airlines, even when traveling coach. Now that American Airlines is included it is even more valuable. I just returned from NY using the Admirals Club in both directions. Having the card is an individual preference. Personally, I wouldn't be without it.

With all these benefits the quality has to be taken in count. Upgrades on lousy airlines are not the same as real benefits. ;)

Nobody said anything about upgrades on any airlines, let alone lousy ones. The prime benefits of the platinum card have little to do with airlines, although I am using the 241 for a one way on LAN from LAX to Buenos Aires in March. Believe me, I did lots of research and this was the best deal for two business class tickets I could find for one way, and LAN is the best carrier on that route. I have also found many times that the rates for FHR are better than the hotel's own rates and include great amenities. Again, it's all personal.

I have one too. I use it for the onboard credits and access to clubs that I don't belong to and a few other things. Never the air and I think only once did the hotel benefit work.

Last year the card got us a great upgrade at Frenchmans Reef on St Thomas--we checked in and it was automatic. The room was beautiful overlooking the bay! Don

When I said "did the benefit work" I meant the price I got the upgraded room for was less expensive than paying the Platinum rate for the lower grade room and being upgraded. As I said, it isn't worthless; I have one.

There are also times when you just get upgraded by the hotel for no particular reason. In Barcelona last September I was upgraded at the Grand Marina from a standard room to a four room suite...without the Platinum card being involved.

It is, as it has been said, an option always worth looking into. Sometimes it pays off...and if it does just once a year, the card is paid for and then some.

Without giving any names, how are some of you able to get Business class at less than 2 for 1? I have tried several TA's and some discount sites, but no luck. Does it help to make reservations far ahead?

Thanks for any help.

Lefty Bob

My strategy is to buy coach tickets & upgrade with miles or certificates.

As a United 1K, it almost always works on United (including for my wife if we are on the same itinerary.)

Exceptions are South America where it works about half the time and Sydney where it never works.

Also it rarely works for me on other Star Alliance carriers (e.g. Lufthansa)

There are a number of strategies.

One place to look is air consolidators. Be sure, however, that you are dealing with a legitimate one and that allows you to use credit cards to purchase the tickets (even if there is a surcharge). It can be a jungle where knowledge is worthwhile, but there can be "gold in them thar hills".

Another one can, in fact, be the cruiselines. Rarely, but at times, good deals happen. Seabourn has some right now.

Some airlines have discounted Business fares, which come with restrictions. Most are not refundable but sometimes cost less than half of a regular Business ticket. United and Continental, for example, offer them on occasion (with United they are the "Z" fares). The 2 for 1 deals require the purchase of a full-fare Business ticket. Thus, the separate purchase of two discount Biz tickets would cost less than a 2 for 1 special. Also, keep in mind that for extremely long itineraries (e.g., U.S. East Coast to Singapore) it is sometimes cheaper to buy a Biz around-the-world fare than a roundtrip.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I alway try and use upgrades. There is a problem when trying to book a one way ticket. The coach fare is very high. If you buy a round trip ticket and are going to toss the return, the airline says you must use upgrade miles for the whole trip. Makes it very costly.

I will try the other suggestions.

LB

Some airlines have discounted Business fares, which come with restrictions. Most are not refundable but sometimes cost less than half of a regular Business ticket. United and Continental, for example, offer them on occasion (with United they are the "Z" fares). The 2 for 1 deals require the purchase of a full-fare Business ticket. Thus, the separate purchase of two discount Biz tickets would cost less than a 2 for 1 special. Also, keep in mind that for extremely long itineraries (e.g., U.S. East Coast to Singapore) it is sometimes cheaper to buy a Biz around-the-world fare than a roundtrip.

I have also purchased the inexpensive Business Class/ First Class tickets on Delta and American. You just have to start early, and not worry about the no refund feature. On our upcoming trip-- First Class TUS-FLL--STT-PHX $1300--Delta has had a couple schedual changes since I made my reservations, and they had to allow an airport change to make a connection--no problem! It's a good deal--I have not used miles to up grade since I started using these flights! Don

I have to respectfully disagree with Iamboatsman about using Amex Platinum to book those hotels that are part of the Fine Hotels and Resorts network. I usually get a better rate (or worse case the same rate) through Amex Platinum than I can directly from the hotel and it comes with full breakfast, late check-out and an amenity such as a lunch, $100 food credit, round of golf, etc. I have always gotten upgrades when they were available, but I never book through Platinum for the upgrade anyway. If the hotel you want is part of the Fine Hotels and Resorts network (and most of the 5 star resorts are) it definitely pays to book through Amex Platinum IMHO.

As for the 2 for 1 companion tickets, it depends on the airline. For some airlines, the cost of the business ticket is close to the same either way, but it definitely can be a lot more for the 2 for 1, although it is still usually somewhat cheaper than buying 2 busness class tickets.

Archived