Parking under the overpass in Mobile (MERGED THREADS)

memphislonghorn

To do or not to do? I have heard about this, and seen pix with MANY cars parked there. Seems that if there were a lot of break-ins, etc. reports would be on these boards warning of such, but I can't find any. Maybe its just a well-kept secret?

We were told by locals that this was not a good part of town to leave a car unattended, so we took them at their word and parked at the terminal. From the looks of the broken glass on the ground, we probably made the right choice.;)

The county lockup(jail) is just down the street. Alot of homeless in the area. I drive truck and a friend that is a gas hauler was dropping a load of gas in the area and was robbed one night near there. They took everything, Money,Credit Cards, Keys to the truck,cell phone, Pants, Shirt, shoes, socks, and even his underwear. It took a while before someone called the cops that a naked man was needing help. There company will not deliver gas down there at night now. But yes you can park your car under the bridge if you want.

We were told by locals that this was not a good part of town to leave a car unattended, so we took them at their word and parked at the terminal. From the looks of the broken glass on the ground, we probably made the right choice.;)

That's all the discussion I need......Thanks!:cool:

Between now and Fat Tuesday Feb 5, 2008, there is no free parking anywhere downtown. I went through about a week ago and saw the police writing tickets. I would NEVER leave my car un attended in that part of town over night.

On Fat Tuesday all of downtown is a giant parking lot. You'll see cars parked in the medians, the shoulder of the interstate, just about anywhere you can squeeze a car or truck in will be taken. As long as you aren't parked on a parade route you'll be good.

• 1 month later...

Under the overpass was jammed with vehicles that parked for free during my Holiday cruise.

Most likely fine regardless of area if you drive a normal vehicle and not showing anything worthy of stealing inside, but truly for $60 bucks take the parking garage 1000 feet east of that overpass area and sleep well on the ship knowing you saved $15 off the 'rook the tourist' rate.

plus you'll be on I10 getting outta there looking at the 2000 people in gridlock trying to merge from the other side getting off the old mare.

• 3 months later...

Hi - I've seen a few people post that you can park for free in Mobile if you park under the I-10 Overpass. I saw one post saying you'd be ticketed and towed. Does anyone have any definite information on this topic? If this is a bad option, any other ways to park for less than $75? I'm not going to need a hotel, thus no stay/park/cruise package is needed. $75 seems like a lot to park when it was only $10-12 a day in LA and the cruise fare for an inside on the Holiday is $229. Thanks!

Guest carlogesualdo

That doesn't sound free at all. That sounds like a nightmare. Nice vacation. Come home to a mess. What fun. I think I'd rather pay for parking.

I'm also looking for alternatives to the port parking garage. $15/day seems excessive for Mobile. It seems that last year suggestions other than the free parking were made, but I can't find any recent posts.

I'm also looking for alternatives to the port parking garage. $15/day seems excessive for Mobile. It seems that last year suggestions other than the free parking were made, but I can't find any recent posts.

I have read here on cc that you can park at Admiral Semmes (Radisson) - $45 for 5 day cruise (it recently increased from $25) - you don't have to stay there to park there - just show up at the front desk the morning of the cruise and request parking and pay. Unload at the shuttle point, go park, walk back up to the shuttle area and wait for your ride. Here is the website for the hotel if you want to call to confirm this or need the address.

http://www.radisson.com/mobileal

The Radisson is the best deal for parking if you are not spending the night anywhere. They will shuttle you to and from the terminal. (It's only about three or four blocks away). This is a county owned parking garage that the Radisson leases space from, so it is just as secure as the parking garage at the terminal which is city owned. If you stay the night before your cruise at the Radisson, they let you park free and will drop you off and pick you up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

For my most recent cruise, I drove to Baton Rouge to Mobile. I arrived in Mobile around 1045 am. I was told that the cruise terminal parking lot was not yet available. After waiting about 2 hours, I decided to go on to the Radisson. The Radisson only charged $40 for 5 days (half the price of the cruise terminal).

If you are sailing on a Saturday, I would recommend using the Radisson parking garage - it is practically empty on weekends.

I'm also glad I learned about the Radisson parking garage on CC!

• 1 month later...

I called earlier this afternoon, and was told the price was $55 - this for a four day cruise. That's not really much of a savings - $15/night for 4 nights is $60. Maybe the person wasn't sure of the length of the cruise? It would be a good deal if you went the night before and got the parking/shuttle free.

I called earlier this afternoon, and was told the price was $55 - this for a four day cruise. That's not really much of a savings - $15/night for 4 nights is $60. Maybe the person wasn't sure of the length of the cruise? It would be a good deal if you went the night before and got the parking/shuttle free.

Are you sure you called the Radisson? I just called this morning, and the price they quoted me is $45 that is for a 4 or 5 day cruise and includes the shuttle to and from the cruise terminal. It's a better deal for anyone taking the 5 day but it's still cheaper than parking at the terminal. This is what they call pay & park you don't have to stay in a room the night before. My husband and I are on the 10/2 cruise and only live 1 1/2 hrs. from Mobile so we don't need a room, but we do look for bargains and that includes parking fees.

Are you sure you called the Radisson? I just called this morning, and the price they quoted me is $45 that is for a 4 or 5 day cruise and includes the shuttle to and from the cruise terminal. It's a better deal for anyone taking the 5 day but it's still cheaper than parking at the terminal. This is what they call pay & park you don't have to stay in a room the night before. My husband and I are on the 10/2 cruise and only live 1 1/2 hrs. from Mobile so we don't need a room, but we do look for bargains and that includes parking fees.

Parking in the county garage behind the Radisson is $45 with free shuttle. Just go to the front desk (at the Radisson) and pay and sign up for the shuttle. They will drop you off and pick you up. You don't have to be staying there to park. It's actually walking distance to the terminal if you don't have luggage.

• 1 year later...
It looks like the last mention of parking at the underpass was over a year ago. Anyone with recent experience parking there?

I've heard that it is completely fenced off now so that you cannot park there anymore. The city uses the areas under the overpasses to store all of the barricades for Mardi Gras.

Archived