Arriving early a.m. in Newark, need advice

scopewest

DH is thinking of taking the red eye and arriving at the pier the morning we sail, around 6 a.m. So we take a taxi from Newark and arrive at the pier, oh, around 7 a.m. I'd guess!!

Now what??? How early can we get inside? Has anyone ever done this? Is this worth it or do I talk him back into staying at a hotel the night before?

Have you been to NYC before, coming in a day early on the same flight would give you a day of sightseeing. :)

However, no way will you be at the pier at 7am- look more at 8am or later. Generally, boarding can happen around noon. Who are you flying with that gets you INTO Newark from Phx at 6am??? That is definately outside of most schedules.

A 10:30 p.m. redeye flight the night before from Phoenix that arrives in Newark at 6:03 a.m. due to time zone change.

I'm originally from CT so we're not going to do any NYC sightseeing on this trip. I don't mind hanging around the terminal if we can do that.

Are you arriving on a weekday or a weekend? From Newark in regular rush hour traffic, the trip through a Hudson River crossing alone will take you one hour.

Arrive at 6 am IF all goes well. Maybe you get off the plane by 6:30. You won't even have your bags in hand before 7 am. I'd have some breakfast in the AP & hang around until at least 9 to be behind the traffic. Then you should be able to get into the building but you will be standing for at least 1-2 hours, unless you have a suite.

I have always arrived the day of my cruise but coming across the country, I think I'd come the day before. If you don't & you do make the ship, the time change alone is going to wipe you out for the 1st day & you will nap through sail away past the Statute of Liberty. :(

Thanks for the advice, I'll run it by DH. I'll probably change his mind! Budget Queen mentioned sightseeing in NYC, and I thought yeow, why not fly to CT a couple days beforehand and visit family and then go directly to pier? I know I can get a private car transfer to NYC so I would think I could get one to Cape Liberty. No savings of $$$ on this one, but seeing the family: Priceless!!

DH is thinking of taking the red eye and arriving at the pier the morning we sail, around 6 a.m. So we take a taxi from Newark and arrive at the pier, oh, around 7 a.m. I'd guess!!

Now what??? How early can we get inside? Has anyone ever done this? Is this worth it or do I talk him back into staying at a hotel the night before?

Personally I would take the train to avoid regular driving traffic.train stops at aiport and goes to NYC Penn Station....go on to ct. from there or stay and sightsee.

Personally I would take the train to avoid regular driving traffic.train stops at aiport and goes to NYC Penn Station....go on to ct. from there or stay and sightsee.

Taking the train from the airport never occurred to me simply because there are no trains from the Phoenix airport so it's not a mode of transportation I use. Actually, there are no trains at all that stop in Phoenix, alas.

Anyway, I'm going to fly directly to CT and then drive down to the pier. I appreciate your help because you always need a backup idea just in case.

Archived