Mercury Auckland- Sydney 6-20 January A Good 4 star trip

uktog

I think I will call it the 4* experience. Having cruised with X 9 times before we knew what to expect. We also recognised this is Mercury's first season in Australia/NZ so there would still be elements that would be an issue. So here are the thoughts of 2 seasoned travellers in their 50s

Positives

1. The standard of food was the best we have encountered and we were very happy to see some changes in the menu and some tasty new items appearing. In particular some new desserts and generally a much better offering at the end of the meal. The soups were also much nicer and much less salty than in the past.

2. This time we had an excellent butler Reyes Iwin who offered to both unpack and pack for us and whilst we did not take him up on this, it was nice to be asked. He was very attentive when we needed things which we kept to breakfasts and afternoon tea when we got in rather than during his cart time which we usually missed.

3. The itinerary was excellent and we felt in NZ those days when we had Celebrity excursions we enjoyed good value. Every port in NZ made you feel so welcome with volunteer guides and so much more. That said see below re Australia where there are issues.

4. As regulars it was nice to see a number of entertainers we have not heard before as this trip several singers and acts have come from Australia

5 The resident music groups were far better than in the past and in particular the Jan Martini quartet in Cova were a delight to listen to.

As a Cruise Director Damian de Lorenzis was visible and remembered guests from previous cruises. You sensed a very happy Activities staff

6. Embarkation from the Hilton Auckland, which we booked direct with the hotel, was a dream. Staff just pushed your bags from your room direct to the ships porters so not a bag to lift or worry about.

7. We had trips with three excellent independent excursions in NZ A pre boarding 3 hour trip around Auckland for 2 we fixed with Black Pearl Tours where Gordon was an excellent guide; a group of 10 from Cruise Critics through Mount Classics where Brian was an informative guide though he did struggle with the gears of the minibus and its aircon was not working and finally a great day for 2 in Napier with Ian Claridge and his delightful 1930 Oldsmobile touring Napier - a gem of a port - and surrounding wineries. We would also recommend the Taieri Gorge train trip whch you can only do through the cruiseline. Perfect scenery with every coach looked after by 2 volunteer guides who keep you fed watered and make sure you get the perfect photos all along the trip.

The negatives - and these caused us to rate the cruise as good rather than excellent were

1. Invisible officers in particular the Hotel Director who did not even have the courtesy to respond to a letter we sent suggesting how they might handle the Australian immigration saga - more on that later. On previous cruises we have always had a call or note from the Hotel Director if we have contacted him/her

2. General lack of attention to detail throughout the ship so for example trays lay uncollected for some time in the café and many staff were standing around chatting with each other rather than working. Sadly no offers to carry trays which given the rough seas on 3 of the days would have been helpful for many.

3. Maintenance issues - not showstoppers but to give an example in our Sky Suite the balcony door handle fell off on Day 1, the chair was broken when we arrived but this had not been picked up, , our Voicemail never worked and the colour on the TV was never able to be sorted by maintenance so we watched green faced people all cruise!

4. This was a cruise where there were 2 large groups on board - no problem but it was so tacky that you could not get a decent atrium picture all cruise because of an untidy table and scribbled messages on a flipchart to clients of one group; of course the group has to have a space but not there and not blatantly advertising go see the future cruise consultant then come to me and I will beat their price for existing customers - how do you think that felt for others!!

5. The Australian immigration process took place during an at sea day - a day where we were experiencing very rough seas. Unfortunately the Oz immigration team was reduced in the afternoon to 2 people as the others were ill. Our slot was an afternoon one and it resulted in is standing in line for 2 hours between Decks 11 and 12 with no access to handrails at some stages, lining up on the stairs and worst of all across an open set of stairs- and guess what during that time no one from the cruiseline was around - apart from a poor pool butler handing out seasick bags. We accept immigration is required and perhaps the situation was unique, but it would have been nice if the hotel director had responded to our note on how they might do this better, which incidentally we opened by emphasising it was not a complaint- maybe we should have complained at the Health and Safety risks and waste of an afternoon!

6. There are issues with the Oz shore excursion company. We had one cancelled late because they increased the minimum number required on it and we are aware of many others that had trips cancelled - some because we were 3hours late into Melbourne because of weather (fair enough ) but others for a range of dubious reasons.

Be careful if you book the Sydney Opera House tour as we did. We did not see either inside the Opera House or concert hall but were shown 2 theatres instead. This was due to rehearsals which the tour co had not told Celebrity there was a risk of. We gather for future passengers they will highlight this risk and whilst the Shore Excursion staff member agreed we had not had what we had expected and had not had any advisory as it was the last night of the cruise they could not issue any refunds so we have to write to Head Office. Not sure we will bother but watch this one everyone else.

7 This was a Captains Club cruise so there were a few extra events though Brani the CC host was inexperienced and seemed uncomfortable in group situations - even at the Elite party after greeting people he never circulated and we have never before had a CC hostess who did not address is by name by our second meeting. I was uncomfortable in the departure lounge on the final day overhearing him be highly critical of the management style and attitude of Celebrity - he may be right but professionally he should keep quiet.

By the way - some stars to look out for on Mercury - Keith the waiter and the lovely assistant Chris who does not seem old enough to be away from his Mummy

So a good 4* cruise not an excellent 5* trip. We will still be cruising with Celebrity as planned in 2008!!!

AJ

I enjoyed reading your review, particularly that you enjoyed your excursions, since I am comtemplating a Australia/NZ cruise. I also agree with your comments about the food.

One quick question--Do you know if the CC Host Brani (Brawni) is the same person that was once the Bar Supervisor on the Century? If so, his promotion is well deserved.

UKtog:

We will be on the Feb. 17 from Sydney to Auckland and really appreciate your honest comments regarding the cruise. I guess we will deal with the NZ customs people on board, not the Aussies. It wasn't that bad at all then. Except them harping on the food thing. No, we did not smuggle food but they suspected everyone of it.

We did the cruise in 2005 with Princess and it was only 12 days and 1 less port (Tauranga) so we are looking forward to it. As for the crossing we had from Tasmania to Dunedin, it was as smooth as glass and we didn't even realize we were on a ship most of the time.

We sure hope the crossing is good or I will have to crawl on all fours through the halls.

We will not have a butler so that isn't an issue. Plaza deck.

Again, it was very interesting reading your review.

Brani is Croatian but I think he previously worked in the Activities Dept though I may be wrong

Yes, forgot about the constant meeting with the dogs and do you have any food with you - and they will find things as people found out, though why people kept trying to sneak food off beats me!

We were in 1221 and the issue re the chair and the doorhandle were resolved, they never managed to fix the TV or the voicemail

Oh yes and as Tex has said before, there are great pancakes on board as well as the waffles and a superb alternative to casual dining - an evening stir fry station - forgot about that!

Hi Aj

Actually if you mean the flip chart set up in front of the guest relations, some of that was for a group of 24 of us that had missed the plane due to mechanical problems, therefore missed the boat for 2 days, received luggage half way into our trip or not at all and than when it came it was wet and some clothes were damaged due to dye running into other clothes. We were more than happy to have a consultant there to let us know the status of our disappointing trip and give us her hours of work so we could meet with her and update us. Leg.

Hi Aj

Actually if you mean the flip chart set up in front of the guest relations, some of that was for a group of 24 of us that had missed the plane due to mechanical problems, therefore missed the boat for 2 days, received luggage half way into our trip or not at all and than when it came it was wet and some clothes were damaged due to dye running into other clothes. We were more than happy to have a consultant there to let us know the status of our disappointing trip and give us her hours of work so we could meet with her and update us. Leg.

No Leg, the flip chart I was referring to did not contain messages about the awful situation many of you were in relating to luggage, it contained sales related messages. Usually consultants are placed to the side by the PCs at Deck 5 so you can still take pics and others enjoy that area - not sure why this was not the case on the trips

Hope you did eventually get the luggage, reading reports from other sailings, non arrival of luggage seems to be a big problem on the Australia run just now

AJ

Hi Jimanne

Your lovely picture from the gift exchange is still in our room! You will enjoy this trip! I have submitted a fuller review including what we did at ports of call so you might want to look at this if and when they put it up as it will give you ideas for excursions, if not get in touch and we will tell you about some great things to do

Ann and Charles

Ann,

Jim uses the Haggis Calling whistle daily and still hasn't had any respond to the call but he is still trying. I will definitely read the review and, knowing me, I will have questions. I am still in touch with Melinda and Ralph. They completed a 64 day Pacific cruise last November. They had a great time and are now trying to find another cruise. Once it gets in your blood, you just can't stop that cruising. Will be in touch soon.

Jimanne

My daughter and I had a great time on the trip also. Infact she climed the Sydney Harbor Bridge the Sat. we were there. I only had 1 complaint and that most ports we stopped in were not phone friendly. At one port we had to take the bus ($) in order to get to the phones to call home.

The service was great and the ship looked great. Enjoyed ourselves.

Yes we too thoroughly enjoyed our 42 days on Mercury in Nov/Dec.

Regarding the TV situation as commented on the previous review. The TV's in all staterooms are the same, the picture is either pink or green. This is due to a problem that cannot be rectified whilst the ship is in the Southern Hemisphere, so we were told on board. Apparently the TV's were only made for use in the Northern Hemisphere where they work on a different system.

So anyone planning to cruise on Mercury whilst she is downunder don't expect a good TV reception.

Jillybean:)

Archived