Easy Instructions for doing Virgin Gorda on your own!

CaribbeanBound

Some quick questions on this one.

Speedy's has discount rates for kids (5-11) at $15 R/T. What is the price for Smith's? Adults and kids.

How far is the walk from the cruise dock to the ferry dock?

If my ship departs Tortola at 3:30 pm (Carnival Liberty), will I have enough time to get back if I take the 2:15 on Smith's back to Tortola?

thanks

Smith's answered my questions.

Their 2:15 gets back to the docks at 2:45 and it's a 10 minute walk or 5 minute cab ride back to the ship, giving me 30 minutes margin of error. That's too tight. I do plan on taking the 8:50 up and 1 pm back as it gives me 40 more minutes in total than Speedy's.

Smith's prices are $25 R/T for adults and $18 for children. That's just the ferry. There is also a package which give transportation to and from the Baths at $35 for adults and $28 for kids. It's a little more expensive than Speedy's. But it makes sense for me. Carnival charges $81 R/T for adults and $69 R/T for kids and the tours last four hours. Looks like I'll get more time at the Baths with Smiths and save $162, if I have to add back cost to enter Baths with Smiths.

when you go into the water? Is it safe to leave on the beach or does someone need to stay with it? Thinking about a locker but what if they are all rented by the time I get there. Not only fpr the baths but for all the ohter beaches we go to, What do you do with your stuff while in the water? Thanks

when you go into the water? Is it safe to leave on the beach or does someone need to stay with it? Thinking about a locker but what if they are all rented by the time I get there. Not only fpr the baths but for all the ohter beaches we go to, What do you do with your stuff while in the water? Thanks

we don't take anything of value to the beach. Dh's bathing suit has a plastic zipper pocket we use for cruise cards, ID and cash. Back pack only has things like sunscreen, a book, towels. If it disappears, we haven't lost anything valuable. We do keep an eye on it when we're in the water though.

If the lockers are indeed full (not likely, but possible) and you do bring stuff that needs watching, simple pick put another cruise passenger on the beach (just look for the ship towels), set your stuff down next to them and ask them nicely if they will watch your stuff for you.

I saw a study wherein people left stuff on the beach and staged someone else to steal it. No one bothered to stop the guy. However when they asked someone to watch the stuff, the staged thief was stopped. Folks will take some responsibility if you simply ask them. It works for us.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

• 1 month later...

We were there on March 3 and had to tender over to the ferry dock. We then bought tickets at Speedy's without asking prices. There were other folks there from our ship who spent just $5 more and got a tour and lunch as well. Check pricing before buying your tickets. The ride over was a little bumpy as the seas were rough that day.

We enjoyed the hike through very much, we also didn't know when we wher 'there', but just kept asking and going and finally we found devils bay beach, absolutly beautiful and worth the effort. You know you are there when you get to a little inlet with a crescent beach coming around from your left.

We did see people who had cut themselves and were bleeding. We went slowly. I had a backpack, my ssister had a carry bag, that was more difficult. I wore llbean beach trek sneakers and she wore pull on water shoes, both worked great.

I would not reccommend this for younger children, disabled people or anyone who is not sure footed. Our 73 year old parents were going to come, but our dad had an upset stomach that morning so they stayed onthe ship. It was a good thing they didn't try to come, as they wouldn't have been able to do it. They walk two miles everyday, but both wear bifocals and when looking downward are constantly reevaluating the distance of steps etc. and have tough time on uneven terrain.

Our adventure was on the trip back. Our taxi driver (we paid for the shuttle taxi thru Speedys) said to meet him back in the parking lot at 12:30 for the 1:00 ferry. We got tothe parking lot at 12:32 and he was no where to be found. Everyone said he would be there . There was someone who worked on the QM2 there also who was waiting for a ride from Andy's ferry service. The clock kept ticking. Finally at 12:43 we decided to pay anyone who would drive us to the terminal. But no one could take us Then a taxi came who would bring us back to the dock. Also, the Andy's van came to take them. We jumped on the back of a truck (full of two long running benches) after the driver insisted on wiping down the vinyl before we sat. He hightailed to the ferry driving as fast as possible. I was gripping on tight whiteknuckled. my sister thought it was great and laughed the whole ride back as we bumped along.

We made it back ran down the dock go onto a much smaller ship than what we rode over on. There were three decks- the middle was full, the top was going to be too wet and sunny so we went down into the lower level. We sat and waited and waited finally the boat driver came down and spoke to the islanders who were there, not to us and said something about how the boat wouldn't start. We thouht about trying to get another boat back, but sat and waited. 15 minutes later about 1:30 the boat started and brought us back. Everyone closed the windows once we started across the water so they could stay dry. There was no ac and it got a bit warm in there. I might look into other companies to see if they have all newer ferry boats or an assorment of old and new. This one was quite old and there were no life vests in sight.

We got back and walked around the ferry dock..Pussers, Columbian Emeralds, the little handicraft stores, etc

We actually had a cocktail and nachos at Pussers that was very pleasant and relaxing.

If we had written down the other ferries schedules before leaving Tortola it would have been more relaxing and less stressful. I would still do it on our own but be sure you dont take the last ferry before your cruise ship departs. Give yourself a little bit of wiggle room.

Thank you everyone who has contributed info to help make the trip possible. The map was great once we got there.

Also the restaurant at the baths looks wonderful..amazing view, swimming pools right there at the barnice breezes. You could easily pass an hour or two just sitting. Highly recommended for people in your party who may not be up to the hike but want to get off the ship to see something.

One note, as much as we enjoyed this day very much and were glad we did go, we did decide after that day that we would not go to St. John the day we landed in St. Thomas just because we did not want to rush again and we just wanted to be able to relax more.

We saw the ship's excursion just arriving as we were leaving the Baths last week! We had taken Speedy's ferry over in the morning and had already been at the Baths several hours. The tour group were in this long, long line moving at a snail's pace going down to the first beach before the actual Bath tunnels start. I can't even IMAGINE how slow and tortuous that huge group would be trying to go through the Bath tunnels! I would imagine most of them did not even bother with that huge group!

That answer depends upon your ship. I learned on our last Celebrity cruise, that we could indeed get off an HOUR before we expected. They didn't advertise it and they would not announce it becuase they didn't want to wake anyone.

Which Celebrity ship were you on. Was just wondering as we are going next week on Galaxy could we get in earlier then 7:00am?

Laura

We just got back from the Norwegian Jewel, which stopped at Tortola on March 31st. We took the ferry to Vigin Gorda, and had a great day. The fare for Speedy's ferry and taxi had gone up to $30 round trip, but that's still very reasonable. If you're running late, you can also buy tickets on the ferry instead of waiting at the ticket window.

Definitely take the walk to Devil's Bay Beach, because it's a beautiful sight. The journey through the "caves" is part of the fun, but make sure you have good water shoes, because it can get a little slippery. At Devil's Bay, we saw a sign for a trail leading to the "car park", so maybe there's a way to get there without going through the caves. We didn't check out that path.

The day we were there, there were lots of boats/yachts anchored just offshore. They would come to the beach on little inflatables. The nearby hotels also offer boat rides to the beaches at the Baths. But Devil's Bay was much less crowded than the main beach. As we were leaving, we saw the excursion from the ship coming in. It got a lot more crowded, so go early if you can.

We went snorkeling, and that was good, but not spectacular. We swam from Devil's Bay to the main beach and back (only ~20 minutes each way). There is a small restaurant at the beach for drinks and burgers. The restaurant at the top of the Baths (appropriately named Top of the Baths) has some spectacular views, but serve similar food for slightly more money.

We were told to meet the taxi at 3:00pm for the 3:30pm ferry back. At 2:45pm, 3 taxis from Speedy's pulled up and filled up almost immediately. After dropping us off at the pier, 2 of them went back to pick up more passengers. I'm not sure they always make 2 trips, so don't be late.

All of this info is great...thanks for the help! Our group will be in Tortola from 7:00am till 3:30pm and I had a couple of questions regarding the trip to The Baths.

1. Will we be able to purchase tickets directly from the pier for either Speedy's or Smith's service?

2. I noticed that Speedy's offers a taxi ride from the ferry to The Baths

and vice versa...does Smith's offer a similar service?

3. The ferry schedule for Smith's seems more accommodating for us b/c

we will be able to take the 1:00pm ferry back to Tortola in order to

meet up with the ship before 3:30pm...does this sound like enough

time or should we consider the 12:30pm ferry with Speedy?

4. If we do take the Speedy service & they don't offer a taxi service, are

there a bunch of taxis at the Baths and the ferries to shuttle us back

and forth?

I know it's a lot of questions...but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The ticket booth at the ferry terminal had windows for all the ferry lines. Not sure about taxi service for other ferry lines, but we did see several different taxi services in Virgin Gorda. The ferry ride takes about 30 minutes.

The ferry ride takes about 30 minutes.

Unless they knowingly leave the pier with a bad engine, and you end up adrift for a while, taking an hour and half to do that 30 minute trip. So definitely make sure there's plenty of time to get back for whichever trip back you take.

nausman...

Zenith, that one time I was mentioning.

It all depends when you dock. If you dock early, you should be able to get off early. Go on down early.

angie_cruiser...

Q1. Will we be able to purchase tickets directly from the pier for either Speedy's or Smith's service?

A1. You can purchase tickets for either at the ferry terminal. Neither is at the cruise ship pier.

Q2. I noticed that Speedy's offers a taxi ride from the ferry to The Baths

and vice versa...does Smith's offer a similar service?

A2. As I recall, yes. But double check when you buy your tickets.

Q3. The ferry schedule for Smith's seems more accommodating for us b/c

we will be able to take the 1:00pm ferry back to Tortola in order to

meet up with the ship before 3:30pm...does this sound like enough

time or should we consider the 12:30pm ferry with Speedy?

A3. The 1:00 pm will leave you an incredible amount of excess time. It is way more than enough time.

Q4. If we do take the Speedy service & they don't offer a taxi service, are

there a bunch of taxis at the Baths and the ferries to shuttle us back

and forth?

A4. Taxis do run back and forth quite often. Yes, you should be able to arrange something with one of the drivers.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

SInce most of you are experienced Cruisers, I would hope that at least of you have been to the Baths. I am wondering how much time we should prepare to tour the Baths. I hear that it takes about 40 minutes to get there plus a ten minute taxi/bus ride. Any suggestion which ferry we should take and which one to take back???

Thanks for any help.:D

progress.gif

I'm doing Smith's too in a couple of weeks because of that 1pm ferry back. The extra time is worth the difference in price between Smith's and Speedy's. I wonder why Smith's charges more anyway.

We're going to be on the same cruise!! Can't wait! :)

peterp...

Check the schedules.

As soon as you dock, get yourself over to the ferry terminal and take the first ferry over.

Take whichever ferry back that leaves Virgin Gorda 90 minutes before your ship sails. 90 minutes will be WAY MORE than enough time to make your ship, and you can take it easy.

Thanks C.Beach for the info

Roll Call people for the Crown on April 19th are meeting Sunday night at 10 in the Asiago Bar (spelling) . Everyone is wearing beads to show that we talked with each other through this site.

Archived