formal night ladies dress question

nicole9s

We were planning on skipping the formal night on our cruise, but I've gotten to thinking it would be nice to attend, for the pictures if nothing else. I think it would be nice to have some dressy shots of us on our honeymoon.

I have a stupid question about what I could/should wear. Is a shorter (knee-length) sequined black cocktail dress appropriate, or do I need a full-length gown in say, a crepe-y material?

I haven't attended many black tie functions in my day, I am sorry to say, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Thanks

Depending upon the length of your cruise, there will be more than one formal night: 5 - 10 night cruises usually have 2 formal evenings, 10 - 13 night cruises have 3 formal evenings and longer cruises have 4 - 5 formal evenings. Your cruise documents have a page entitled "Evening Wear Planner" that will serve as a guide and there is also a page that outlines what is considered formal, "informal" (semi-formal) and casual.

The dress you described sounds lovely - floor-length gowns are not required. If I may suggest, why don't you pack it and plan on attending dinner in the main dining room and the events before and after (according to the formal dress suggested) - see if you like it? If you do, you'll have lovely memories of the evening; if you don't, there are other options for the other formal evenings. I just hate the idea of your not giving it a chance!

I'd love to say "it's so much fun - you'll just love it!" but everyone's idea of a wonderful time is different, so you'll just have to decide for yourself! I will say, however, that formal nights are sort of a tradition, or ritual - a part of cruising! I hope you'll give it a try!! :)

I've been on 5 cruises prior and will be on my 6th in March on Celebrity. You see a little bit of everything on these nights. I always wear a cocktail length dress although this time I will be wearing satin slacks. The point is to dress classy and comfortably. ;)

You can definitely wear a short cocktail dress. Also, even if there are multiple formal nights, don't feel obligated to wear a different dress each time. I wore the same one twice on my last cruise and so did many others at my table. Have a great honeymoon!

You can wear whatever you are comfortable wearing....I always wear pants and you can wear a silk blouse with jewelry, a pretty scarf wrap, etc. It is not necessary to wear a long formal gown. Cocktail dresses are perfectly acceptable on any cruise I have gone on. The main thing is to have fun...wear the same thing twice, and don't worry about it!

Linda

Archived