Riviera rooms?

Mrs M

I am planning my first cruise for myself, my husband and my parents. Since this is our first, we decided to go the inexpensive route and the best deals I have found are rooms on the Riviera deck. We will be going to the Eastern Caribbean on Liberty on Nov. 29. We are looking for one inside and one outside room.

General impressions of rooms on this deck? Has anyone stayed in these rooms? Particular rooms to seek out/avoid? Is there a lot of noise from the engines being that low?

Thanks so much!

No noise. Two "crew decks" below you. An "outside cabin" on a higher deck is the same as the same sort of cabin on tne Riviera Deck. I was on Liberty in 2006...she's a beautiful ship.

No noise. Two "crew decks" below you. An "outside cabin" on a higher deck is the same as the same sort of cabin on tne Riviera Deck. I was on Liberty in 2006...she's a beautiful ship.

They are right over the stern thrusters and we heard them like crazy on the Conquest when she piloted into all ports.

Anything foward of the aft elevators should be fine.

We were in an inside room on Fascination, and were on Riviera. We enjoyed the room. The elevators make being on a lower deck irrelevant. There is no difference in the rooms, all interior rooms are the same regardless of what deck it is. As stated above, try to get one as close to the middle as possible to avoid hearing the bow/stern thrusters and anchors.

I had a aft IS on the Inspiration on the Riviera Deck and the slight difference in noise was how I new we were in port and it was time to get up. No window, no day light so I appreciated the SLIGHT noise. It was not a big deal. The deck has less motion and being in the aft, there was less traffic.

It is a good way to go for a first cruise. I booked a 4A gty for the first cruise and got a 6E OV it was great. But, you will be selecting your cabins to be close.

Thank you all for the responses. I was a little worried about being so low, but it doesn't sound like a problem. If my parents want an oceanview (I don't think they have balconies on this deck, right?) - any recommendations or are all the same?

On another note, if you choose a cabin instead of doing a guarantee how often do you get upgraded? The site we are looking at booking with only allows you to select rooms, there are no guarantee options.

Thank you all for the responses. I was a little worried about being so low, but it doesn't sound like a problem. If my parents want an oceanview (I don't think they have balconies on this deck, right?) - any recommendations or are all the same?

On another note, if you choose a cabin instead of doing a guarantee how often do you get upgraded? The site we are looking at booking with only allows you to select rooms, there are no guarantee options.

The big disadvantage to a gaurantee is you can't stay close to your folks if that is important to you.

Usually upgrades are inside to inside, outside to outside or balconies to balconies. There are OV cabins on the upper decks that are not as good as some of the lower decks.

On Conquest class ships, the thruster noise in the aftmost cabins was very loud. And they use these thrusters to manuever sometimes for several hours (not just at the dock).

IMO best bet on R deck would be a pair of cabins 6 to 10 doors from either side of the cental elevators, 6 to 10 forward of the aft elevators, 6 to 10 aft of the foward elevators. Close enough to the elevators to be conveinant, far enough away to avoid machine or pax noise.

No there are no balconies on the R deck.

You didnt say which year your cruise is, 2008 or 2009 (some 2009s are out). Often if they dont have guarantees now they will closer in when the particular cabins are gone in the lowest category, it just depends on how well your cruise is selling. I dont think anyone here knows the percentage of times there is a upgrade, its a closely held number the cruiseline wouldnt let out. Seems like sometimes everyone is getting nice upgrades from guarantees and then for a while folks are getting what they booked!!! (horrors).

check another site to see if its just that one not showing guarantees too.

Archived