Gondola Ride in Venice

I am planning to ride in a gondola and I can't wait. I love the water, don't care how choppy it is. For me it is a part of Venice, a must do. I will only be there once and would regret not doing it. The price doesn't matter because it's something I want to do.

In Alaska several years ago I fretted over the cost of a helecoptor tour, landing on a glacier. It was really way too expensive for me at that time. I finally got out the plastic and booked it. Took me a few months to pay it off with the interest, but I will never regret doing that. It was an amazing tour and for me well worth every expensive penny!!! Great sights and many wonderful memories, sure glad I did it.

I learned from that Alaska experience. I still watch my budget but am not as reluctant to spend for the experience. You only go around this life once and I plan to enjoy as much as I can. JMO

I am planning to ride in a gondola and I can't wait. I love the water, don't care how choppy it is. For me it is a part of Venice, a must do. I will only be there once and would regret not doing it. The price doesn't matter because it's something I want to do.

In Alaska several years ago I fretted over the cost of a helecoptor tour, landing on a glacier. It was really way too expensive for me at that time. I finally got out the plastic and booked it. Took me a few months to pay it off with the interest, but I will never regret doing that. It was an amazing tour and for me well worth every expensive penny!!! Great sights and many wonderful memories, sure glad I did it.

I learned from that Alaska experience. I still watch my budget but am not as reluctant to spend for the experience. You only go around this life once and I plan to enjoy as much as I can. JMO

Houch,

You summed up my take on it perfectly. We may only get to Venice this one time. Ya never know. I can't think of a time I spent money for an experience I really wanted and regretted it later. It's just money. I figure in 6 months, that 80 euros I spent on a gondola ride won't matter much one way or the other. I, too, love the water and don't care how choppy it is. I'll savor every minute of that gondola ride.

As far as "touristy," I live in South Florida and I've noticed that when out of towners come visit and I take them to the "touristy" things in Florida, I rediscover why I fell in love with this place and wonder why I don't indulge in the fun "touristy" things all around me more often.:)

Rose

Houch,

You summed up my take on it perfectly. We may only get to Venice this one time. Ya never know. I can't think of a time I spent money for an experience I really wanted and regretted it later. It's just money. I figure in 6 months, that 80 euros I spent on a gondola ride won't matter much one way or the other. I, too, love the water and don't care how choppy it is. I'll savor every minute of that gondola ride.

As far as "touristy," I live in South Florida and I've noticed that when out of towners come visit and I take them to the "touristy" things in Florida, I rediscover why I fell in love with this place and wonder why I don't indulge in the fun "touristy" things all around me more often.:)

Rose

Rose,

You got me thinking about the "touristy" things all around me. Although MN is a bit different from FL we do have stuff to see and do around the Twin Cities that I have not done, some never and some I think I did in grade school (and that was a very long time ago!) Perhaps I should become a tourist in my home town. Thanks

we paid about AUD140 each for a walking tour and a gondola ride through Qantas Holidays back here in Oz. Can't remember the Italian operator, CIT maybe?

for all the party poopers saying don't do it, we thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon, especially the quiet back canals off the Grand. Yes, we caught the vaporetto a number of times and even, heaven forbid, took our own horribly expensive water taxi to the port. it was fantastic, felt like we were in some glamorous movie.

we also paid a premium to stay in a canal front room (Hotel Lisbona), room like a shoebox, and we loved it as well! we could open the shutters and look down on to the gondolas below and straight in to the hideously expensive rooms at the Bauer no more then fifty feet away.

we work hard and saved big time so that we didn't ever have to say "gee I wish we'd done that." We did that, and a whole lot more.

click on the travelpod link in my sig to read our blog from our cruise on the Rotterdam last year

i thought the gondolas were one of the most touristy things i've ever seen. . .

Disney World or 6-Flags Williamsburg are touristy because they were manufactured purely for the tourist trade. Taking a gondola ride at a summer festival in the states is also a bit touristy. However, the gondola in Venice has a deep and very real history. It dates back to at least the late 11th century. It was a valid form of transportation for years and, if you avoid the more "commercial" gondoleirs at St. Marc's Square or the Rialto in favor of a ride of some of the smaller canals, it can afford you a view of Venice that you would not be able to experience on foot or in a commercial water taxi.

For those who have done it, is it really that romantic? We will be in Venice on our HM for 2 days. We were thinking of going on our own, grabbing a bottle of wine and drinking it while we ride. However, maybe we should just go with a group.... I don't know... any thoughts to having the boat to ourselves or riding with another couple or 2?

TIA!

To not do a gondola in Venice is like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower...to not go up the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty when in New York...to not ride a cable car when in San Francisco...to not not kiss the Blarney Stone. There are just certain things one must do as touristy, cheesy as they may seem. It is to experience the destination. For all of the thousands we're spending on the cruise I'm not gonna cheap it out and not do a gondola ride regardless of the cost, you can be taken for worse in a lot of places on this earth and have nothing to show for it. We booked ours through the ship, a romantic evening gondola ride complete with champagne and singing gondoliers. You only go through this life once best to make the most of it. Ciao baby ciao, see ya on the Grand Canal I'll be the guy in the third gondola from the left just under the Rialto Bridge with my arm around my wife, glass of champagne in the other enjoying the moment.

I guess I meant to say is it worth it to pay for it to be just the two of us or would it be just as nice with a group. That's all. For us, we are going to do it either way.

Unless you know the other people, I'd say to do it just the two of you. If you want it to be "romatic" it will be hard to have it be romantic with others in your boat. Even if romance is not your primary goal, the boats are a bit small and this way you may be able to strike up a conversation with your gondalier and get some insight into the city and such.

Is this something we should pre book or wait until we get there? I am thinking since our ship is overnighting we could pick the better day to go on the gondola ride- is there any advantage to pre booking?

If you prebook you will pay full price, but if you really want a twilight ride or something special it is a good way to make certain you will be able to get what you want.

Our last cruise started and stopped in Venice and we spent a few days there on either side of the cruise. We were not interested in a "grand canal" cruise and had avoided the gondolas in the busier areas, but one morning, relatively early in the day, at one of the more "off the beaten track" spots, one of the gondaliers struck up a conversation with us (while we were waiting for my DD to look at some scarves) -- it was slow and it was early in the day and he offered us a trip at half the normal rate and when we hesitated he cut it another 10E. So we had a nice long trip down some of the canals that are "lesser traveled". We bumped into some folks he knew who were out in what I'd call a skiff training for the regatta, and we stopped, he introduced us and we all chatted for just a bit. We found out a little about him, about life in Venice, and he gave us a REALLY good restaruant recommendation. As he had predicted, when we got back the square was a bit busier and our getting out of the boat raised overall interested and so both he and the other gondola there each got a booking (both at full price).

It was the type of ride I really enjoyed, but I know others are interested in specific sights or an evening ride.

As we have never been to venice I want to take the ride when the opportunity seems perfect, it will be three of us so I dont' plan on it being too romantic with my 15 year old son there but that is not why I wanted to go on a ride, it just seems like it would be nuts not to.

I do have a question. Our ship is in port overnight, how does one get around in venice without a gondola? I mean I would be fine paying for it once but then we wanted to just explore, we have so many tours scheduled it just seemed like a good place to go and wander (assuming that is possible and safe to do so)

Venice is very safe, and lovely to wander around especially at night when it`s quieter after all the day trippers have left. You can buy a vaporretto (water bus) ticket for either a single or 12/24 hr ticket and use this to get around. Route 82 or 1 goes along the Grand Canal throug central Venice so to speak. This will give you your "bearings" and you can get off at different stops, wanter around and then get on again if you have a day pass. Definately get off at Rialto bridge and spend a little time there - the grand canal is magical at night and you can see a lot from the bridge itself. There is a church near the Rialto bridge at the fish market, which hosts Vivaldi concerts at night - we saw the four seasons. Tickets are around 25 Euros and you can just turn up, no need to book.

Sorry if this is too much information, I get a little carried away when talking about my favourite city. In short, the answer to your question is use the Vaporettos to get around, and enjoy a Gondola as a special treat to see some of the quieter canals.

Tsk tsk tsk... just reading some of the replies on this thread, I could hear my late mama's voice in my head... some of you have no romance in your souls! A gondola isn't transportation... it's pure turn back the clock romance, and not necessarily with the person(s) in the gondola with you, but with the city of Venice!

:)

Venice is very safe, and lovely to wander around especially at night when it`s quieter after all the day trippers have left. You can buy a vaporretto (water bus) ticket for either a single or 12/24 hr ticket and use this to get around. Route 82 or 1 goes along the Grand Canal throug central Venice so to speak. This will give you your "bearings" and you can get off at different stops, wanter around and then get on again if you have a day pass. Definately get off at Rialto bridge and spend a little time there - the grand canal is magical at night and you can see a lot from the bridge itself. There is a church near the Rialto bridge at the fish market, which hosts Vivaldi concerts at night - we saw the four seasons. Tickets are around 25 Euros and you can just turn up, no need to book.

Sorry if this is too much information, I get a little carried away when talking about my favourite city. In short, the answer to your question is use the Vaporettos to get around, and enjoy a Gondola as a special treat to see some of the quieter canals.

Oh no it is not too much information you are so kind to share, I am feeling much more confidant about venturing about. All our cruises in the past have left port by sundown so the idea of having time to venture out in the evening is quite appealing. We have done the waterbus in Fort Laurdale many times, I am assuming it is similar to that you get a ticket that is good for all day. I had no idea about the concerts, this is going to be such a wonderful trip- I am getting quite excited! Thank you for sharing!

I agree totally with TinaLee and all who have said a gondola ride is a must. It's all part of embracing this charming, magical and unique city. We are returning in June and we will DEFINITELY go another gondola ride.....I wouldn't miss it. As for the choppy waters of the lagoon, choose a gondola that goes only through the small, back canals...that's where the true charm is.

Instead of a gondola, we enjoyed an evening ride on the vaparetto, standing on deck along the Grand Canal. We headed toward the Rialto Bridge, got off at the Rialto stop, walked around a while and then around dusk, we reboarded another vaparetto back to St. Marks. The evening lights on the canal were FABULOUS.....we could see parties taking place in the mansions and on their balconies overlooking the canal. It was an evening I will never forget.....just being on the canal, on a waterbus with the locals, soaking up the, as Tina said, the romance of the city. It stops at all of the 'bus stops' along the way, but the hustle and bustle of the locals going about their daily activities makes one truly feel apart of the city.

There is a church near the Rialto bridge at the fish market, which hosts Vivaldi concerts at night - we saw the four seasons. Tickets are around 25 Euros and you can just turn up, no need to book.

Taf, could you tell me what time of year and/or day of the week you ran across the Vivaldi concert? I would love to find something like that while we're in Venice this summer! My daughter is a classical music major, and I know she would appreciate the chance to hear something like this.

Hi Tinalee. I was last in venice in October and went to the Four Seasons concert then, but it goes on through the year. It was a string quintet - spectaular, very talented musicians and performed in the church where Vivaldi was a priest for many years. There are lots of concerts in Venice throughout the year in various places, especially Vivaldi - one in a hall near St. Marks, one in another church near Accademia and then Rialto. When you arrive in Venice you can get the fliers from the tourist office and pick one nearest to where you are going to be staying.

Next week I am going with my 14yr old daughter to see La Traviata, this is performed in a Palazzo on the Grand canal, and takes places in various rooms through the palace. Tickets are 40 Euro, and I´ve booked them in advance through musicapalazzo dot com. Because it is an intimate setting, only around 40 seats are available per performance so this one is best to book in advance. They also perform the Barber of Seville and a romantic clasical love songs medley - again, throughout the year.

Then of course if you want something really special you can go the opera house "La Fenice" - they have their performance programm on their website, and maybe there will be something on whilst you`re there.

I hope you enjoy your time in Venice - have fun!

It's May 1995, just at dusk and we are strolling around near St. Mark's. We see a gondola all alone in a back canal, the gondolier having a smoke. DH asks how much and then turns to walk away when he hears the price. The man then dropped the price 3 times before DH hands over the money and we climed in. We spent the next 45 Min. or so enjoying one of the most romantic events in all our travels. We stayed in the tiny back canals as it got darker and darker. The only light was the lantern hanging from the front of the gondola, the only sound was the water hitting the boat and the tall buildings. We could have been in the 18th century. Then, around a bend we turn and right in front of us is the Bridge Of Sighs with a full moon rising above it. The beauty was so intense that I lost my breath for a second. THEN---tons of flashbulbs go off and we become lots of tourists "Kodak Moment".

I hope if I ever sink down into dementia, that is one of the last memories to go!!!

It's May 1995, just at dusk and we are strolling around near St. Mark's. We see a gondola all alone in a back canal, the gondolier having a smoke. DH asks how much and then turns to walk away when he hears the price. The man then dropped the price 3 times before DH hands over the money and we climed in. We spent the next 45 Min. or so enjoying one of the most romantic events in all our travels. We stayed in the tiny back canals as it got darker and darker. The only light was the lantern hanging from the front of the gondola, the only sound was the water hitting the boat and the tall buildings. We could have been in the 18th century. Then, around a bend we turn and right in front of us is the Bridge Of Sighs with a full moon rising above it. The beauty was so intense that I lost my breath for a second. THEN---tons of flashbulbs go off and we become lots of tourists "Kodak Moment".

I hope if I ever sink down into dementia, that is one of the last memories to go!!!

Now that I would pay for, it's the bobbing around on the grand canal that I don't get.

Our Gondola ride in Venice is a memory I'll love for years. We really enjoyed it and it was worth every penny. I don't even mind the fact that we paid a bit more than average (around 130 euros) for a longer tour from a prime location at a prime time of day. In fact even though we were traveling with another couple we hired two different Gondolas at that rate. We did this because, as you'll see in Venice, there is just one nice seat for two in a Gondola - a nice forward facing "love seat". They carry up to 6 but others sit on small stools or chairs, not the nice love seat.

We hired our Gondola just before sunset, so the sun was setting towards the end of our 45 minute ride. We took a long winding path through the canals and for a short while went down the Grand Canal with a view of the Rialto bridge. Our gondolier gave a few interesting tour bits and pointed out some nice buildings. We did go down one canal that smelled foul, but that was at most 3 or 4 minuites of our trip and the rest was fine and in nice looking areas.

Yes it was expensive - but how often is one in Venice? This may just have been a once in a lifetime experience for us and we wanted a ride and wanted to do it right. If you don't want to pay as much take several people, or a tour, on a shorter ride or in a less desirable location of Venice.

We hired our gondola at a prime location. I can't recall the name of the square or bridge it was by, but I do recall there was a Prada store right there - and found the spot on the maps: Click here for google or here for MS live

Bottom line - everyone has to decide what they want to do and what it is worth to them. For us our Gondola ride was worth every cent we paid for it. I have a couple pictures here and some

and here. (Click the underlined words for links). If others don't think a Gondola ride is worth it then that is fine, but I don't want to hear anyone tell me it wasn't worth it to me.

Hi Tinalee. I was last in venice in October and went to the Four Seasons concert then, but it goes on through the year. It was a string quintet - spectaular, very talented musicians and performed in the church where Vivaldi was a priest for many years. There are lots of concerts in Venice throughout the year in various places, especially Vivaldi - one in a hall near St. Marks, one in another church near Accademia and then Rialto. When you arrive in Venice you can get the fliers from the tourist office and pick one nearest to where you are going to be staying.

Next week I am going with my 14yr old daughter to see La Traviata, this is performed in a Palazzo on the Grand canal, and takes places in various rooms through the palace. Tickets are 40 Euro, and I´ve booked them in advance through musicapalazzo dot com. Because it is an intimate setting, only around 40 seats are available per performance so this one is best to book in advance. They also perform the Barber of Seville and a romantic clasical love songs medley - again, throughout the year.

Then of course if you want something really special you can go the opera house "La Fenice" - they have their performance programm on their website, and maybe there will be something on whilst you`re there.

I hope you enjoy your time in Venice - have fun!

Thanks Taf! We'll definitely look to see if we can find Vivaldi playing somewhere while we're in Venice.

We did look at going to see La Traviata at Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista - is that the performance you are going to? Also, we checked and we will be there for the final performance of the opera season at La Fenice, so we're looking into that as well.

If you could come back and post after you see La Traviata, to give me your impression of the performance, the location, etc., I would really appreciate it. Or you can email me directly - my email is in my profile.

Thanks again!

I noticed that many of you either booked the ride as a part of a tour package or just dropped by the dock near the bridge to catch the ride.

Would it be better to book the ride in advance to reserve your spot?

I fear that if many cruise ships docked at Venice in early June, one may have to wait a long time and miss the opportunity to get in a gondola. I would hate to miss it.

Any tips or toughts on this?

Thanks!

Archived