Advice on flight to Rome?

There is some very good information going throught this thread. On the subject of Air Ataliana the wife and I flew into Rome last May out of JFK. I was alittle ify after hearing bad things sad about this airline. As it turned out the flight left on time, the food was very good and the service was adequate. The plane was a 777 and I would give them a better than average marks. I do know that this airline like Iberia has a reputation for strikes. Fountunately the only thing we encountered last year was a late train trying to get to the port. The Regional train was over three hours late so we just took the local train. (Train strike)

This year we will be returning to Rome using Delta. I had a good flight on Delta into Barcelona in 2006. For those wondering about European layovers I'll take Frankfurt anytime over CDG or LHR. For those getting layovers at Munich....Great Airport. I hope this information helps. Tim

Are Delta and Alitalia code share flights? I noticed that Alitalia has the same direct flights leaving ATL that Delta has. We chose Delta because the price was somewhat less.

To the OP We are paying $1650 pp for direct/non-stop flights in early June. I'd jump on the fare you found!

HOw long is the non-stop flight from JFK to Rome? We will try to use Delta--they were great on our trip to BCN last yr... hardly any wait at all on the runway--we lucked out..

We depart JFK at 410pm and arrive FCO at 6:15. I dont know the time change info though

There is some very good information going throught this thread. On the subject of Air Ataliana the wife and I flew into Rome last May out of JFK. I was alittle ify after hearing bad things sad about this airline. As it turned out the flight left on time, the food was very good and the service was adequate. The plane was a 777 and I would give them a better than average marks. I do know that this airline like Iberia has a reputation for strikes. Fountunately the only thing we encountered last year was a late train trying to get to the port. The Regional train was over three hours late so we just took the local train. (Train strike)

This year we will be returning to Rome using Delta. I had a good flight on Delta into Barcelona in 2006. For those wondering about European layovers I'll take Frankfurt anytime over CDG or LHR. For those getting layovers at Munich....Great Airport. I hope this information helps. Tim

Tim,

Thanks for giving me some hope!!! I fly out June 14th and will be sure to let everyone how its goes!!

Delta and Ataliana do code shares. Like I said earlier my flight was out of JFK and it was not bad at all. Like I said earlier Atlaliana sometimes does have some labor issues but that can happen anytime in Europe. I was lucky enough after last years flight to accumulate 50,000 on Delta. If you fly on Atlaliana make sure to collect your skymiles if you are a Delta Skymiles member. Tim

HOw long is the non-stop flight from JFK to Rome? We will try to use Delta--they were great on our trip to BCN last yr... hardly any wait at all on the runway--we lucked out..

The flight is about 9- 10 hours because of some delay on the ground. I am going Delta this time because I took Alitalia last time, while it was OK, its not great and we had a storm in NY and our luggage was Soaked! All clothes damp inside (new luggage too). If it was much, much cheaper than Delta I would consider it, but it is going to be taken over by another company and then there will be many last minute strikes going on. I don't want to take that chance.

The flight is about 9- 10 hours because of some delay on the ground. I am going Delta this time because I took Alitalia last time, while it was OK, its not great and we had a storm in NY and our luggage was Soaked! All clothes damp inside (new luggage too). If it was much, much cheaper than Delta I would consider it, but it is going to be taken over by another company and then there will be many last minute strikes going on. I don't want to take that chance.

We got it for about $1500.00 cheeper, I sure hope it is worth it!!!

Our flight with Delta in Oct is JFK to Rome over 8.5 hrs, back 9.5 hrs. Rome is 6 hrs difference. Alitalia/Delta are in fact code shares.

I have only flown Delta overseas with all our trips. Never a problem, great service.

We booked our flights the day they went on sale for Oct 2008 and our r/t is $1,000 pp I believe they have gone up around $300 pp now. With 3 of us that's a $900 savings!

Hope this helps

Chesie

Finding the best deal on European airfares from the US has become tricky business because (a) all the carriers are vigorously competing for passenges while (b) trying to make a profit in a world of rapidly changing prices on jet fuel contracts. Tough place to do business .... and intercontinental flying is the most profitable there is so, it's very competitive.

Someone else mentioned ITA software ... this is the site I use to shop fares http://www.itasoftware.com/index.html Click on search airfares using qpx (you have to create an account and log in but its free).

I have a friend who works for Worldspan by Travelport (ITA's) biggest competitor in Web-based travel e-commerce and travel technologies. These are the only two guys left on the block (you might remember systems like Saber; all of these were bought up by the two big boys). ITA software provides fare search engines for Orbitz, Expedia, Kyak and the rest. So, your're going right to the source software in its entirety when you use ITA.

The ITA search displays are easily negotiable and readable, fare codes are displayed so you can provide the details to a travel agent who sometimes knows tricks you don't and cant get. You'll note the lowest fares have the longest layovers and frequently have arrival or departure times that won't work for your travel plans - the unpopular connections/flights that sell/fill up slowly.

Once you've located an itinerary on ITA that works for you, go to the airline web site, put in your information in the flight search section then (and this is important) carefully match flight numbers and you'll come up with a match with what you found at ITA. Then book it without delay. Fare prices you see today are being based on fuel contracts that have been made for the airlines about 90 days out. Because the price of Jet A has been so volatile in recent years, the old addage that the best deal on fares begin to appear 90 days out is no longer true. Cheap fares do appear about 90 days out now but only for short periods (hours). You can snag a cheap fare if inside of 60 days but hardly ever inside 14 days on flights that just happened to not fill up ... the airline will deeply discount to sell to about 110% of the seats (some airlines even more than that ... and that's a whole different discussion).

Also keep in mind that fares change daily (if not hourly) something you see that's cheap at 3PM might be gone when you try to book at 7PM. Airlines use very sophisticated computer programs to maximize fares based on hits/seat reservations they're getting from their own web sites, other booking web sites and agents at a particular price or load factor for a particular flight ... if they get a lot of hits on a flight with a high load factor to begin with, the price moves up in minutes; lower load factors not so quickly as they want to sell up to a certain load factor before raising the price. Fun isn't it. The truth is there is not a single person on a typical flight that has paid excactly the same price for the ticket purchased at different times.

Finding the best deal on European airfares from the US has become tricky business because (a) all the carriers are vigorously competing for passenges while (b) trying to make a profit in a world of rapidly changing prices on jet fuel contracts. Tough place to do business .... and intercontinental flying is the most profitable there is so, it's very competitive.

Someone else mentioned ITA software ... this is the site I use to shop fares http://www.itasoftware.com/index.html Click on search airfares using qpx (you have to create an account and log in but its free).

I have a friend who works for Worldspan by Travelport (ITA's) biggest competitor in Web-based travel e-commerce and travel technologies. These are the only two guys left on the block (you might remember systems like Saber; all of these were bought up by the two big boys). ITA software provides fare search engines for Orbitz, Expedia, Kyak and the rest. So, your're going right to the source software in its entirety when you use ITA.

The ITA search displays are easily negotiable and readable, fare codes are displayed so you can provide the details to a travel agent who sometimes knows tricks you don't and cant get. You'll note the lowest fares have the longest layovers and frequently have arrival or departure times that won't work for your travel plans - the unpopular connections/flights that sell/fill up slowly.

Once you've located an itinerary on ITA that works for you, go to the airline web site, put in your information in the flight search section then (and this is important) carefully match flight numbers and you'll come up with a match with what you found at ITA. Then book it without delay. Fare prices you see today are being based on fuel contracts that have been made for the airlines about 90 days out. Because the price of Jet A has been so volatile in recent years, the old addage that the best deal on fares begin to appear 90 days out is no longer true. Cheap fares do appear about 90 days out now but only for short periods (hours). You can snag a cheap fare if inside of 60 days but hardly ever inside 14 days on flights that just happened to not fill up ... the airline will deeply discount to sell to about 110% of the seats (some airlines even more than that ... and that's a whole different discussion).

Also keep in mind that fares change daily (if not hourly) something you see that's cheap at 3PM might be gone when you try to book at 7PM. Airlines use very sophisticated computer programs to maximize fares based on hits/seat reservations they're getting from their own web sites, other booking web sites and agents at a particular price or load factor for a particular flight ... if they get a lot of hits on a flight with a high load factor to begin with, the price moves up in minutes; lower load factors not so quickly as they want to sell up to a certain load factor before raising the price. Fun isn't it. The truth is there is not a single person on a typical flight that has paid excactly the same price for the ticket purchased at different times.

WOW!! The above is fantasic information! Deserves a sticky all its own at the top of this thread!! Just checked a flight we were going to book for a cruise next January and found we could save more than $100. per ticket tonight using the itasortware site. Thanks so much for sharing it here, jbuch02. :) Also cudos to katiekatie for mentioning it first. I believe she says she got the tip from a traveler's magazine.

Archived