Port to Rome airport - by train!

Hi,

I would like to use the train from Civitavecchia to Rome Ciampino

I know I would have to get the Terravision bus to the airport.

How long would this take? I would like to get the 11am flight!

Thanks

Kelly

I was in Civitavecchia a few months ago. I do not think you can easily make a 11:00AM flight by train. There are few if any taxis at the pier to the train station. There is a shuttle bus to town from the pier, but is is very crowded with people.

Everyone wants off the same time and are dragging their luggage which needs to get on the shuttle bus. The bus stops at the foot of town near the Fort. Then you have 8 to 10 minutes to walk with your bags to the train.

I suggest you take a later flight. Even if you buy transfers from the cruise line I a not sure they will make it on time. If you need that 11:00AM flight, pay for a limo.

You do not say what cruise line you are with but I doubt if they run shuttles to Ciampino [CIA] - I know for sure that RCI don't - they only go to the main international airport at FCO.

CIA is where the charters like RyanAir fly into - anyway - there is no way you will catch an 11am flight unless you arrange for a private taxi to take you to CIA. We have used http://www.romashuttle.com before and they were very efficient. Unfortunately, the money you thought you saved by going with a cheapie like RyanAir will now be spent on a private transfer! Always better to fly scheduled carriers into the main airport IMHO... If you have not yet booked your RyanAir ticket then I would strongly advise you to rethink!

You do not say what cruise line you are with but I doubt if they run shuttles to Ciampino [CIA] - I know for sure that RCI don't - they only go to the main international airport at FCO.

CIA is where the charters like RyanAir fly into - anyway - there is no way you will catch an 11am flight unless you arrange for a private taxi to take you to CIA. We have used http://www.romashuttle.com before and they were very efficient. Unfortunately, the money you thought you saved by going with a cheapie like RyanAir will now be spent on a private transfer! Always better to fly scheduled carriers into the main airport IMHO... If you have not yet booked your RyanAir ticket then I would strongly advise you to rethink!

Your math is severely flawed in my case. We're flying into Lyon from CIA...cost for the two of us was $138 on EasyJet. 90 minute flight. Cost of shuttle is 100 Euro, so say $150.....total is $288 for two people. According to Kayak....I can go British Airways from FCO for $181 per person...with a stop in London for 6 hours....NOT. Or if I want to go direct, it's a mere $900 per person. For the lowest transportation time from FCO..would be 3 hours and 35 mins on Lufthansa for a mere $848 per person. I'll pay the shuttle fare thank you!!! all of the above numbers, I'd still have to pay to get to FCO.

I am very happy that it has worked out for you.

I would not use the lowcost carriers as they do not provide backup flights etc if a plane goes tech.

I especially would not risk it if flying in the day of a cruise.

Just MHO....

Neither would I. Worst case scenario if they don't fly is we'd either try the next day, or drive, we could probably do the train too. We'd be heading to our B & B in Provence. That's a risk you take with the low cost carriers but I'd never risk a cruise on it. We're flying London to Venice to board the ship, but I booked that on British Airways :)

Archived