Question

Sky Sweet

Has anyone found that how they access cruise critic makes a difference in how smoothly it works on their computer?

I don't know if this is just a coincidence but I have found that I have less problems when I access it through internet explorer instead of AOL, and begin with cruise critic's main menu instead of book marking a specific board and going directly to it.

Think your luck in accessing board is just that, luck.

Been on these boards for several years and have always found winter months the busiest on the boards -- thus being the hardes months to get quick access as so many people are planning or dreaming of a cruise or about to sail on a cruise.

Dianne

Has anyone found that how they access cruise critic makes a difference in how smoothly it works on their computer?

I don't know if this is just a coincidence but I have found that I have less problems when I access it through internet explorer instead of AOL, and begin with cruise critic's main menu instead of book marking a specific board and going directly to it.

It's been our experience that Cruise Critic is usually easier to access through Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox than through AOL. AOL has an intermediate platform where IE and MF go straight to Cruise Critic.

Also, when things are loading slowly, while that can be a Cruise Critic server issue, it can also be a cache issue on a member's computer. Sometimes just clearing your cache can speed things up.

Starting at the Cruise Critic Home Page (www.cruisecritic.com) serves two purposes. First, you get the latest news about cruising and new features on Cruise Critic, and second, it's a straight shot from your computer, where going first to the Celebrity board requires a little more work by the server. So access to Cruise Critic can be a little faster that way.

Hope that helps.

Host Walt:

DH & I have changed computers a few times since we've been CC members and also changed servers. speed in getting onto the boards has been about the same through all the changes.

Have discovered that we have the most trouble getting on the boards around 7 - 8 a.m. (Eastern time) and about 11 - 12 am. (Eastern time) and again around 4 - 5 p.m.

We've always assumed those time periods represent the heaviest load for the boards as people from east coast to west coast are waking up, having lunch or ready to leave work.

Just a bit of info from a CC member.

Dianne

It's been our experience that Cruise Critic is usually easier to access through Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox than through AOL. AOL has an intermediate platform where IE and MF go straight to Cruise Critic.

Also, when things are loading slowly, while that can be a Cruise Critic server issue, it can also be a cache issue on a member's computer. Sometimes just clearing your cache can speed things up.

Starting at the Cruise Critic Home Page (www.cruisecritic.com) serves two purposes. First, you get the latest news about cruising and new features on Cruise Critic, and second, it's a straight shot from your computer, where going first to the Celebrity board requires a little more work by the server. So access to Cruise Critic can be a little faster that way.

Hope that helps.

Hi Host Walt :)

Thank you for responding to my question. Your post was very helpful :)

I have noticed no difference between accessing CC directly from IE and beginning at the home page or clicking on a link to a post that has been received as an email notification. Interestingly enough, I have noticed the biggest slowdown between 3-3:45AM CST, a time when you would think the fewest people would be on the board. Sometimes, it can be impossible to get a new post to take.

Host Walt:

DH & I have changed computers a few times since we've been CC members and also changed servers. speed in getting onto the boards has been about the same through all the changes.

Have discovered that we have the most trouble getting on the boards around 7 - 8 a.m. (Eastern time) and about 11 - 12 am. (Eastern time) and again around 4 - 5 p.m.

We've always assumed those time periods represent the heaviest load for the boards as people from east coast to west coast are waking up, having lunch or ready to leave work.

Just a bit of info from a CC member.

Dianne

Yes, high traffic periods will result in delays that the user cannot control. But the question was whether accessing via AOL vs. IE made a difference, all else being equal, and the answer is yes.

In other words, if traffic is jammed on the on ramp to an interstate (let's call it AOL), if you stay on local streets and go to the next on ramp (let's call it Internet Explorer), you can save time. But if the interstate is backed up there's nothing else you can do.

Yes, high traffic periods will result in delays that the user cannot control. But the question was whether accessing via AOL vs. IE made a difference, all else being equal, and the answer is yes.

In other words, if traffic is jammed on the on ramp to an interstate (let's call it AOL), if you stay on local streets and go to the next on ramp (let's call it Internet Explorer), you can save time. But if the interstate is backed up there's nothing else you can do.

Thanks for the explanation, Walt. Makes more sense to me now.

Dianne

Archived